PDA

View Full Version : Triceps question for big bencher

Andre518
11-20-2009, 11:30 PM
I was just wondering when you train your triceps say dip, push downs, french curls, tate press, lifts like those would it be better to 5 x 5 or 5 x 10-20 to build up good strength in the triceps?

Jay1
11-21-2009, 01:49 AM
The exercises you've listed are usually done for higher reps.

NickAus
11-21-2009, 03:53 AM
I'm not a big bencher but I would say the same as above.

Just mix it up and push it hard, sets of 6 sometimes and all the way up to 30+ this will keep it interesting rather than getting locked in to one rep scheme.

Hope this helps.

ScottYard
11-21-2009, 07:58 AM
If your in gear I would make high board work the bulk of your lock out strength work.

theBarzeen
11-22-2009, 12:31 AM
+1 for what Scott said.... Triples off of a three board with some high rep stuff just to flush......

mastermonster
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
I do the board work on bench for usually singles and occasionally triples. On most other assistance work I do 10-12 reps to maximise the size of the muscle base as well as increase the strength of the muscle. If you want the maximum developement of the muscle you have to do some work in that rep range. The fibers fire in a conservative manner. On each rep, X number are fired and exhausted of their ATP store. Next rep, more kick in and so on and so on until most or all are envolved by a set to near failure at 8-12 reps. During the rest period between sets the cells of those fibers are recharged with a fresh supply of ATP. And become ready for another set. Never doing any work for a given muscle in that rep range will result in less than maximal muscle size, but not neccessary less than optimal one rep force...but there are advantages to the levers of more mass.

Tom Mutaffis
11-22-2009, 03:52 PM
I was just wondering when you train your triceps say dip, push downs, french curls, tate press, lifts like those would it be better to 5 x 5 or 5 x 10-20 to build up good strength in the triceps?

For triceps power I would go with board press, close grip bench, or weighted dips. Things like tate press, overhead dumbbell extensions, and pushdowns are not going to allow you to move as much weight.

For the heavy movements I like to train in the 2-5 rep range, and then on the accessory movements I will go anywhere from 10-25 reps.

A typical triceps workout might look like this:

Triceps Day: (Pressing Assistance)
- Close Grip Bench Press (3 sets of 5 working up to 5 RM)
- Weighted Dips (working up to 2 sets of 5 with heavy weight)
- Overhead DB/Barbell Extension (relatively heavy, 2 sets of 8-10 reps)
- Pushdowns (drop sets, endurance work, 2-3 sets)

robchris
11-22-2009, 04:05 PM
I do the board work on bench for usually singles and occasionally triples. On most other assistance work I do 10-12 reps to maximise the size of the muscle base as well as increase the strength of the muscle. If you want the maximum developement of the muscle you have to do some work in that rep range. The fibers fire in a conservative manner. On each rep, X number are fired and exhausted of their ATP store. Next rep, more kick in and so on and so on until most or all are envolved by a set to near failure at 8-12 reps. During the rest period between sets the cells of those fibers are recharged with a fresh supply of ATP. And become ready for another set. Never doing any work for a given muscle in that rep range will result in less than maximal muscle size, but not neccessary less than optimal one rep force...but there are advantages to the levers of more mass.

Agreed w/ MM... Once I added DB tricep roll-backs to my routine my arm size took-off! I usually do 4x8-15 reps w/them after floor-press or bd. work. The added mass does allow for better leverage... Esp. w/ a shirt. I may have to change my sleeve size!

chris mason
11-22-2009, 05:13 PM
My last trip to Columbus, Louie suggested I do some extra work outside of my normal training. The exercise was a triceps pressdown with a jump stretch band for 100 reps. He told me to do this completely outside of my normal routine. The 100 reps don't need to be consecutive and form should be strict like you would use for bodybuilding.

As to the original question, I would say any assistance work would be for higher repetitions 12-30+. You get the low rep work with your ME exercises. The assistance work should be geared towards hypertrophy thus serving as a support for your really heavy work.

Travis Bell
11-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah we've been doing that 100 rep stuff a ton lately. He had me doing it with the ankle weights for sets of 100. Some days he wants me doing 200 reps, but I have to split it up into two sets. 100 is hard enough as is.

On DE day I keep the reps up towards 12-15. On ME day, I keep things in the 8-10 rep range.

Only thing that I stay away from is dips. I can beat the piss out of my elbows and they never bother me, but for whatever reason, dips bother my elbows and my shoulders.

ScottYard
11-22-2009, 06:28 PM
My last trip to Columbus, Louie suggested I do some extra work outside of my normal training. The exercise was a triceps pressdown with a jump stretch band for 100 reps. He told me to do this completely outside of my normal routine. The 100 reps don't need to be consecutive and form should be strict like you would use for bodybuilding.

As to the original question, I would say any assistance work would be for higher repetitions 12-30+. You get the low rep work with your ME exercises. The assistance work should be geared towards hypertrophy thus serving as a support for your really heavy work.

When I was in gear I did a ton of prehab workouts following a big bench day. I especially did the 100 reps of minibands and had pretty descent succes(Did that when i benched 840) Im glad you mentioned that. It something I need to put back in the system ASAP.

Rob Luyando
11-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Throw in some heavy key presses. Since I have started doing them religously my lock out and tricep strength has increased.

Andre518
11-23-2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks a lot guys! I will give the key presses a try today Rob. Thanks again.

vdizenzo
11-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Seriously, what's a key press?

KarstenDD
11-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Seriously, what's a key press?

pOQH-NBShVM

But seriously, what did Paul Key press?

vdizenzo
11-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Did she say something?

Chris Rodgers
11-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Did she say something?

I don't think so, but that Paul Key chick is a hottie!!

skinny99
11-23-2009, 03:37 PM
With that accent and that body I am going to find her! Dang! Also good form.

Rob Luyando
11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
There is a vidoe of Paul Key doing them on my face book page. For some reason I didn't pay attention as much when I watch Paul. LOL! Use as heavy weight as possible and use a flat bench

vdizenzo
11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't do facebook.

robchris
11-23-2009, 07:49 PM
She's, I mean ehhh,... thats an awesome exercise I must try!

Rob Luyando
11-23-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't do facebook.

I will email it to you

bencher8
11-24-2009, 04:57 PM
I don't think so, but that Paul Key chick is a hottie!!

haha..u guys are full of ****s and giggles arent ya! lol

Try the exercise...I think you will find they are a good way to build strength in the triceps without hurting your elbows with extensions..

never tried them decline, but whatever...anything that gets her to lay down and show skin like that is ok with me lol

rmccray
11-26-2009, 04:40 PM
ummmmmmm!!!! yeah

jtteg_x
11-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Because of that video, 99% WBB members now know what decline key presses are.

I'll give them a shot next DE bench though

KarstenDD
11-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Thank you. There was nothing special I just saw an opening, made a cut, and hit the hole full speed.

theBarzeen
11-26-2009, 08:15 PM
+1 for the Key Presses...... seeing Paul Key himself do them didn't emblazon them on my mind like that video did.........