PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifting on Concrete

mr handy
11-21-2009, 12:59 PM
*Edit*
I must be over-thinking this.
I work out at home and lift on concrete covered with carpet. I am worried that deadlifting with no mat could damage the concrete and carpet, especially if I miss and drop the weight.

Is this the sort of mat I am looking for, and do I need to do anything more with it then put it down and start lifting?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/horse-stalls-accessories/rubber-matting/royal-mat-rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft--2219003

dgunnermuro
11-21-2009, 03:02 PM
The horse stall mats are perfect for portable gym floor protection. We've used several over the years. Buy a couple, you'll be glad you did.

mr handy
11-21-2009, 03:07 PM
OK thanks.
I was getting worried, I seem to always over analyze this stuff, and answer my own questions.

Jeremy Hamilton
11-21-2009, 03:08 PM
When I lifted in my basement I just went to Home Depot and bought a couple of 4x8 chip boards. I put some carpet over top and stapled it down. It worked great.

mastermonster
11-21-2009, 06:34 PM
They're perfect. And thanks for putting up the link. The price is great! I'm going to go there and get a few. We have one of their stores here in Gadsden.

mr handy
11-21-2009, 07:19 PM
No problem on the link.
I was pretty sure thats what I was looking for, just wanted to make sure I didn't need to ger a sheet or 2 of plywood and make a serious platform... which would be a pain in the butt to move out of the way when not in use.

abbcccxyyzzz
11-22-2009, 03:56 AM
You should not damage the concert. I slammed 600+ lbs in my high school and the concrete shows nothing from my wreckage! haha.

you could just put some ply wood boards and itll be alright.

ehubbard
11-22-2009, 06:01 AM
To be extra safe I would just build a 1-1/2 inch thick platform out of plywood and attach the mats to that. I used 4 sheets of 3/4 in 4x8' plywoood, screwed and glued together(two laid side by side with the other two laid side by side but rotated 90 degrees). I then screwed the mats to the plywood, although you could also use contact cement as well.

mr handy
11-22-2009, 12:04 PM
For anyone that is interested. I stopped by Tractor supply to pick up a mat and the gal at the register told me they are going on sale for black Friday. So I will be picking mine up next weekend. She didn't know how good of a sale it would be however. 5 days is OK for me to wait and find out. :)

mastermonster
11-22-2009, 02:16 PM
For anyone that is interested. I stopped by Tractor supply to pick up a mat and the gal at the register told me they are going on sale for black Friday. So I will be picking mine up next weekend. She didn't know how good of a sale it would be however. 5 days is OK for me to wait and find out. :)

Thanks for the tip on the sale!

mr handy
11-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Woops, one last thing, there is a $5 coupon on the website for in store purchases. :omg:

Tom Mutaffis
11-22-2009, 03:29 PM
We use stall mats for strongman training and they work very well.

Try to see if you can find a gym that is closing down and they will likely almost give them away. If you can get the 3/4" they work the best for deadlifting but 1/2" should be OK as long as you are not dropping weights and have a relatively sturdy concrete floor.

mr handy
11-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks Tom, I will keep an eye out. For now I will most likely pick up one of the mats posted above. When its all said and done the mat will most likely come in at around $25. They are the 3/4" variety, and seemed quite nice when I looked at them today.