PDA

View Full Version : Can't get passed weight loss plateu. Doing something wrong?

greemah
11-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi all

I have been stuck at the same weight for for about a month now. I'm 6', 85kg (187lb), and have been eating about 1900cal a day of 44% protein, 39% fat, 17% carb. That's about 202g protein, 81g carbs, and 84g fat.

I am slightly muscular looking but don't have visible abs yet which is my goal before I switch to bulking. Please don't just tell me to bulk as I want to look good for the summer which it nearly is here, and will bulk during/after.

I have been doing cardio on off days, and taken a week off lifting and gone hard on the cardio also.

Would I be best to lower the calories to more like 1700? Or lower carbs more maybe?

I have managed to loose about 14kg (30lb) in the last few months by lowering carlories and carbs

Thanks

Jayfive
11-23-2009, 02:12 PM
I lost a great deal of fat by tapering carbs and doing AM empty stomach cardio (possibly combined with BCAAs when I had them). Do you work out in the morning? What kind of cardio do you do (low/high intensity solid state, high intensity intervals)?

What's your diet actually look like? Can you give us an example day?

What kind of workouts are you doing?

machaf
11-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Switch up your routine. Do HITT if you've been doing low intensity cardio.

Maybe add some low intensity cardio after you lift.

greemah
11-23-2009, 06:57 PM
I lost a great deal of fat by tapering carbs and doing AM empty stomach cardio (possibly combined with BCAAs when I had them). Do you work out in the morning? What kind of cardio do you do (low/high intensity solid state, high intensity intervals)?

What's your diet actually look like? Can you give us an example day?

What kind of workouts are you doing?

I can't do morning workouts as I get up as late as possible, as I have real trouble getting to sleep at night no matter how early or late I go to bed, so I need as much sleep as I can get (usually around 6 hours, with at least two bathroom trips).

My current diet is
7:20am: 2 eggs, protein shake with milk, fiber supp & multi vitamin supp
10am: 1/4 cup almonds
12pm: 2 slices chicken breast, lettuce, two egg whites
3pm: 1/4 cup almonds
6.30pm: post workout protein shake
6.45pm: 160g chicken or beef with about 3 cups mixed veggies and sauce
10.30pm: pre bed two desert spoons of cottage cheese (about 70 grams)

Workouts I am doing practical programming (with one extra lift each day), and half hour fast walking 3 days a week

Machaf: I do switch up my routine regularly by changing the amount of reps and weight etc, and every few months I change to a new routine. And was doing HIIT previously, but have switched to walking as the HIIT was messing with my muscle recovery

Mik
11-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Try carb loading/cycling.

Hazerboy
11-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Your body has adapted, so you must change something. I would say lowering the calories even more would be a bad idea - 1900 is preeetty low. Even BUILT, a 130 lb girl, cuts on more than 1700 if I'm not mistaken. In fact

So you need to change something. You could do more cardio (i would suggest HIIT!) or change up your diet entirely and try something like carb cycling (while keeping calories about the same). at 1900 a day, your metabolism might be shot too, so bumping the calories back up for your first week or so of carb cycling (or just bumping them back up then tapering back down with what you're doing currently) might be in order.

Cmanuel
11-24-2009, 03:25 PM
in fat loss diaries, Bartley mentions for that stubborn fat he just kicked up the cardio into high gear. More intervals, longer sessions, etc., try it and see how that works.

VikingWarlord
11-24-2009, 05:33 PM
A break might be necessary. If you're eating significantly below maintenance for a long time and you're not obese, your body needs a break.

Take two weeks off, eat at maintenance, and train hard.

Then start cutting again but add more HIIT. If you're not doing any now, do at least 2 sessions per week, then add some hill repeats too. If you've never read it, take a look at How To Do Cardio If You Must (http://www.wannabebig.com/training/general-physical-preparedness-core-strength-and-conditioning/how-to-do-cardio-if-you-must/). Proper cardio is important and that article does a great job explaining what that means.

RichMcGuire
11-25-2009, 05:38 PM
A break might be necessary. If you're eating significantly below maintenance for a long time and you're not obese, your body needs a break.

Take two weeks off, eat at maintenance, and train hard.

Then start cutting again but add more HIIT. If you're not doing any now, do at least 2 sessions per week, then add some hill repeats too. If you've never read it, take a look at How To Do Cardio If You Must (http://www.wannabebig.com/training/general-physical-preparedness-core-strength-and-conditioning/how-to-do-cardio-if-you-must/). Proper cardio is important and that article does a great job explaining what that means.

I agree.

I'm thinking your metabolism needs a break. If you enter starvation mode, and your metabolism slows down to a creeping halt, you could eat 900 kcals and still not lose weight.

greemah
11-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone. I looked into carb cycling, and ended up with a plan:

Mon (lifting day): low carb
Tue: no carb
Wed (lifting day): high carb
Thur: no carb
Fri (lifting day): high carb
Sat: low carb
Sun: no carb

High carb days: 2411 cal, 72g fat, 228.8g carbs, 214.8g protein (36/37/26)
Low carb days: 1937 cal, 68.9g fat, 127g carbs, 202.3g protein (32/26/43)
No carb days: 1496 cal, 67g fat, 29.6g carbs, 191g protein (40/8/52)

The thing is, the weekly calories end up around the same as what I'm on now, but the carbs add up to significantly more (800g as opposed to 567g).

Will this mean the carb cycling thing isn't really going to make a difference?

By the way I don't think my metabolism is shot considering I have taken a week off and upped cardio before, and tried a cheat day which made no difference

RichMcGuire
11-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone. I looked into carb cycling, and ended up with a plan:

Mon (lifting day): low carb
Tue: no carb
Wed (lifting day): high carb
Thur: no carb
Fri (lifting day): high carb
Sat: low carb
Sun: no carb

High carb days: 2411 cal, 72g fat, 228.8g carbs, 214.8g protein (36/37/26)
Low carb days: 1937 cal, 68.9g fat, 127g carbs, 202.3g protein (32/26/43)
No carb days: 1496 cal, 67g fat, 29.6g carbs, 191g protein (40/8/52)

The thing is, the weekly calories end up around the same as what I'm on now, but the carbs add up to significantly more (800g as opposed to 567g).

Will this mean the carb cycling thing isn't really going to make a difference?

By the way I don't think my metabolism is shot considering I have taken a week off and upped cardio before, and tried a cheat day which made no difference

Taking a week off AND upped cardio? That sort of negates the fact of taking a week or two off.. dont ya think?

The carb cycling will make a difference. Its not just a simple in and out process at the end of the week like balancing a check book. Dieting is much more scientific than that.

Personally, I'd follow a plan where you eliminate carbs after a certain point in the day. Total kcals will be lower and so will carbs.

greemah
11-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Taking a week off AND upped cardio? That sort of negates the fact of taking a week or two off.. dont ya think?

The carb cycling will make a difference. Its not just a simple in and out process at the end of the week like balancing a check book. Dieting is much more scientific than that.

Personally, I'd follow a plan where you eliminate carbs after a certain point in the day. Total kcals will be lower and so will carbs.

The week was off weight lifting, but I kept the same diet and upped the cardio.

Ok so you think I should do the carb cycling plan I have above? I had good results slowly lowering calories and carbs (carbs from about 350 down to 130), lost about 14kg (30lbs), but havn't got any less than that even though I have lately been on 80carbs a day and 300 cal less

RichMcGuire
11-25-2009, 08:39 PM
The week was off weight lifting, but I kept the same diet and upped the cardio.

Ok so you think I should do the carb cycling plan I have above? I had good results slowly lowering calories and carbs (carbs from about 350 down to 130), lost about 14kg (30lbs), but havn't got any less than that even though I have lately been on 80carbs a day and 300 cal less

When we said you should take a week or two off, that means off from the diet and cardio as well. Youd eat at maintenance during this time. Its a simple energy balance. If your energy balance has been negative for too long, your metabolism responds by slowing down so it doesnt burn through so many kcals. This happens because your body basically thinks its starving itself. Thats why I said, in some cases, you could eat as few as 900 kcals and still not lose weight.

greemah
11-25-2009, 09:59 PM
When we said you should take a week or two off, that means off from the diet and cardio as well. Youd eat at maintenance during this time. Its a simple energy balance. If your energy balance has been negative for too long, your metabolism responds by slowing down so it doesnt burn through so many kcals. This happens because your body basically thinks its starving itself. Thats why I said, in some cases, you could eat as few as 900 kcals and still not lose weight.

When i was still having this problem a month or so ago i ate a bit over maintenance for about 3-4 days and it made no difference, except I looked slightly fatter for like a few days afterwards, but that went back to normal

RichMcGuire
11-25-2009, 11:02 PM
When i was still having this problem a month or so ago i ate a bit over maintenance for about 3-4 days and it made no difference, except I looked slightly fatter for like a few days afterwards, but that went back to normal

One pound of fat has 3,500 kcals. So if you ate slightly over maintenance, you most likely wouldnt have gained fat. You would have had to have an excess of 1,100 some kcals for 3 days to see a one pound increase..which I doubt happened. The only thing that might have happened is your sodium intake. A molecule of sodium can retain 50 times its weight in water.. sometimes making you look puffy.

Try the carb cycle, or do what I suggested and see what happens. But I will say this, continuing to lower total kcals is not the way to lose body fat. There more to it than that.

greemah
11-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Ok thanks. I will go for the carb cycle for 3-4 weeks then re evaluate

VikingWarlord
11-26-2009, 05:44 PM
I still really think a diet break would be more beneficial before starting a carb cycle.