PDA

View Full Version : Another Guy, Another Journey

JayAllen
11-22-2009, 08:01 PM
This is the week it all starts. Iíve finally decided that itís time to get back on the road to competiton I set out upon years ago, before all the excuses started (no matter how justified they might have been at the time) I spent last week getting my diet and nutrition plan all set and together as well as designing my workout routine and split for the up coming weeks. I also had my measurements brought up to date so I know my starting point and what I have to do to get from that point to my ultimate goal. Iím giving myself roughly a year to accomplish the task at hand. The plan is to spend the next 4-6 months getting back into the groove, while cutting down as much as I can to see whatís left underneath. After that, Iíll spend the next 4-6 months focussing on making the improvments in my physique that I feel are neccessary as well as bringing up lagging bodyparts and weak points before finally putting it all together, getting it fine tuned, dialed in, and taking to the stage

As of now I stand 6"3 312.6 lbs, and 33% bf. So I have a nice journey ahead of me, but nowhere near an impossible one. If I do the math, that puts my LBM around 210 lbs, give or take, as of now, so I feel like I have a decent starting point as far as that is concerned. Now itís just working hard to whittle down whatís covering it and taking it from there. Iíd love to be able to compete at a weight of at least 215 lbs for my first time out, but we will see. I have plenty of time to worry about that. One step at a time.

Workouts are going to consist of a lot of compound core lifts, such as Deadlifts, Squats, Overhead presses, Bench Presses, etc. etc. Back to the basics! Plus, since itís been years since Iíve been able to do them Iím kind of antsy to get my weights back up on those lifts as well. Cardio is going to be done twice a day. After my resistance training workouts, which will consist of heavy to moderate reps as well as low rest periods (30 - 60 seconds in between sets on most sets and up to 90 seconds the most on heavy compound lifts) Iíll be finishing up with 15 - 20 minuts of HIIT cardio and then, later in the evening after my last appointment, Iíll throw in 30-60 minutes of LISS cardio to finish off my day. The reason I say 30 - 60 minutes is because it depends on my day. On busy days, where I have 6-10 clients, I get a lot of extra calorie burning work in, so I donít want/or need to burn myself out. On slower days Iíll do more cardio at the end of my day to make up for that. My workouts will most likely follow a 5-6 days split, depending on how I feel, energy lvl-wise, that week.

As soon as I get some batteries for my digital camera Iíll take some progress pics to keep records of the journey ahead. Iíll pop them frequently at the gym using my cell phone camera, but itís not the same

My Starting Measurements:

Height: 6'3
Weight: 312.6
Bodyfat: 33%

Neck: 17"
Shoulders 58"
Chest: 48"
Abdomen 52"
Waist 48"
Hips 51"
Thighs: Left- 27" Right- 27"
Calves: Left- 18" Right- 18"
Biceps: Left- 16" Right- 16"
Forearms: Left - 13" Right- 13"

So there they are. Not impressive whatsoever, but we all need to start somewhere. I've been in the best shape of my life before, I've trained people into the best shape of their lives before, so I know what it takes. Like everyone else, I've made excuses. So no more excuses!

Time to live by a simple motto: "Train Right, Eat Right, See Results!"

I'll try to keep up to day logs of my diet, training, ect. etc. And the new measurements will be posted right before the Holidays.

Let's DO WORK!

Unholy
11-22-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.dieselcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/dowork.jpg

Whats diet going to be like to start?

JayAllen
11-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm going to be keeping calories around 2500 for the majority of my days, with every 3rd to 4th day bumping it up to about 3000-3500. Because I have an extremely active job I burn anywhere between 4500-6000 calories a day, so I don't want to drop things too low for too long.

My workouts always stay intense, so I don't do the 'extremely low carb' thing these days. I need my carbs! Especially pre and post workout!

Right now, macro wise, I'm going to be keeping it around the 40/30/20 mark. Protein/Carbs/Fat.

Protein will be coming from Tuna, Lean beef, Chicken, Eggs, Dairy products and Whey/Casein Protein

Carbs will mainly be sticking to Oats, Whole Wheat Bread, Rice Cakes, Fruits, and Lots of Veggies

Fats will be coming from the protien sources, as well as almonds, flaxseed and fish oil supplementation

Supplements will be Whey/Casien Protein, HMB, Aminos, Creatine Monohydrate, BCAA's, Glutamine and a Pre-Workout Supp. I currenlty use ON supplements. Always and forever a big fan of them.

I've used different food log sites in the past, but since Fitday.com seems to be people's preference of choice these days I'm going to keep an account so I can post my food logs and make them available for people to see if they have questions as well.

I'm the type who usually keeps a pretty bland diet. I don't go too crazy and I keep things simple for the most part, so I'll let people see that. I have no quarrels about eating plain chicken breasts, tuna out of a can, and oats right out of the box. LOL. I've even been known to take my protien shakes "Chris Benoit" style when I've forgotten my shaker. Yes, it gets a lot of funny looks when you mix Tuna with Greek yogurt and gulp it down, but it's one heck of a protein pop! HAHA

As of today I'm on track to hit about 2100-2200 calories, so I'm feeling good. I've been keeping them pretty low for the past week (around 2000 or so) in preparation for the Thankgiving Feast I plan on enjoying!

JayAllen
11-23-2009, 03:04 PM
And since I'm here I might as well throw down today's workout

Started out the day with 30 minutes of LISS cardio before I had my first appointment.

After my appointments were done I took down some Black Powder (Got a box for free so I'm finishing it up. Not bad, but not my favorite. Free is for me though!) and went into a chest workout.

After initial warm up sets I finished with

Flat DB Bench Press
80x12, 90x10, 95x6, 95x6

HS Incline Press
180x12, 200x8, 200x8

Precor Pec Fly
200x12, 200x10, 200x10

Finished up with 20 Minutes of HIIT on the Elliptical (didn't write down distance or strides, but burned 310 calories) Kept the resistance between 10-15 for Intervals

Tonight I'll be back in for work and then I'm hitting shoulder with a friend of mine. Since I work in a gym I tend to split up my workouts this way. Instead of doing splits, such as Chest/Shoulder/Tris in one workout, I split them up between Morning/Evening splits. I find the rest period and the meals in between allow me to hit my Shoulders harder like this instead of following them up after Chest. Also, since I keep my workouts shorter and more intense, I don't like to spend a lot of time in the gym. In my opinion, there's no reason anyone should be lifting for the extended periods of time you see most people in the gym for. Get in! Get it done! Get out!

As far as my training days go though, I don't always do 2 workouts per day such as today. I don't really follow a particular split or training method. Never have, probably never will. I do a lot of instinctive training. If I feel a bodypart is ready to be beat up again, I do it. If I feel like it needs another days rest, I give it.

Although I have toyed around with methods such as Max-OT, DC, and FST-7 style training in the past, I usually just take what I feel works from each program and apply it to my own.

I'm a big fan of finding out what works for you and not falling into training fads.

JayAllen
11-23-2009, 08:32 PM
P.M Shoulder Workout went pretty well. Definitely can't complain

DB Lateral Raises
30x12, 35x8, 35x8, 35x87

Free Motion Shoulder Press
90x12, 100x10, 110x8

BB Upright Rows
70x12, 80x12, 80x12

Cable Lateral Raises
30x12. 35x10, 40x8

Felt good afterwards. I opt for the Free Motion cable shoulder press over DB presses at the moment because of previous shoulder inuries and elbow pain. I'm also focusing more on Lateral work to bring up my Middle delts. I didn't do any front raises of any kind because I hit them pretty hard during my Chest workout in the A.M.

Finished off with 30 minutes of LISS cardio and then it was time to go home.

Tomorrow is Back day which is always one of my favorite workouts!

"Train right, Eat right, See results!"