PDA

View Full Version : Sumo pulls for raw squats?

JSully
11-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Would this help my raw squat any?

I've heard sumo pulls will really help out my hips, and exploding at the bottom of the squat is something that will always need to be improved upon. The faster I come out of the hole the more weight I'll be able to lockout.

Opinions?

Sean S
11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
In theory, this makes sense, although I don't know of anyone who's done this. For general strength in building up the hips and hamstrings it might be helpful. My initial thought is that a SQ variation might be better in building the raw SQ, but that's just a guess.

endymion88
11-24-2009, 12:14 PM
i think a wide squat would help a sumo deadlift more than a sumo deadlift would help the wide squat.

MarcusWild
11-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I think sumo SLDL would be more effective. It'll let you emphasize the muscles you want, and you'll need less weight to get the same benefits.

JSully
11-24-2009, 04:41 PM
In theory, this makes sense, although I don't know of anyone who's done this. For general strength in building up the hips and hamstrings it might be helpful. My initial thought is that a SQ variation might be better in building the raw SQ, but that's just a guess.
I do a bunch of different SQ variations, I'm just looking for accessory work. Right now I do regular squats, box squats, front squats, rack squats, then very them up with bands as well.

i think a wide squat would help a sumo deadlift more than a sumo deadlift would help the wide squat.
Hmm.. why is this? care to ellaborate?

I think sumo SLDL would be more effective. It'll let you emphasize the muscles you want, and you'll need less weight to get the same benefits.I just tried this without weight and I reall felt it stretch out my hips. I'm going to give this a shot. Thanks!

anybody else?

endymion88
11-24-2009, 06:09 PM
deadlifting just doesn't seem to have nearly as much carryover to the squat as the squat has to the deadlift.

JJ33
11-24-2009, 06:15 PM
TRY Zercher squats they hit everything.