PDA

View Full Version : We always complain about the curl in the squat rack type...

Fuzzy
11-26-2009, 10:11 PM
and frankly I find the idea of complaining about it pretentious and a waste of calories better spent making me fatter.

But this, this deserves a petty internet rant.

The only thing worse than idiots, are the type of people who are immersed in decent strength training environments and yet still can't seem to learn anything. We had one guy join us, apparently with a few years of regular powerlifting experience as well as some strongman work, he's read all the books he can get his hands on. On appearance he is the anti-squat rack curler, the guy who is too cool for arm work and body part splits... you know the type.

He trains with many of the good powerlifters here, and joined our Oly club to learn some new stuff.

I have never, in my life seen such horrible technique and an inability to learn. Not just the Oly lifts, he can't even squat past par without rounding over. And those 200 pound squats, well everyone has to hear about it. He also makes sure to do them with 3 rubbers a side to make it look more impressive. The snatch looks like an aborted foetus trying to star jump.

But the real cake, is that when my coach or I try to make a suggestion we get rudely shut down with his own expert knowledge. What do I know? Ive only put 350 pounds over head and he can't even stand stable with 80.

GAAAAAAAAH, I can handle idiots, they can atleast be pointed in the right direction. But someone who is immersed in the right environments, with strong people willing to help then? AND THEN THEY ARE UNWILLING TO TAKE IT ON BOARD.

COME FREAKING ON!!!!!

End petty rant.

Barbaccio
11-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Your right, taking a generalized complaint about squat rack curlers and turning it into a specific rant about a single person that no one has to deal with but you is a great reason for a rant. I found this thread to be a pretentious waste of calories better spent making me fatter.

deeder
11-27-2009, 09:17 AM
I find the use of the word pretentious to be rather pretentious. Honestly, I do... It has always irked me.

C-Sobrino
11-27-2009, 11:44 AM
I just love to pretend.

Magilla
11-27-2009, 03:11 PM
The responses are better than the OP.

Unholy
11-27-2009, 03:27 PM
If I ever do BB curls, I'll be sure to do them in the squat rack.

Howboutdemapples?

waynedang
11-27-2009, 09:34 PM

Howboutdemapples?

Me too and I use bumper plates. Makes it look like more weight!

C-Sobrino
11-28-2009, 06:08 AM

Howboutdemapples?

Unholy... GO EAT SOME PIE!

theBarzeen
11-28-2009, 04:17 PM

and don't forget that you have to scream after each rep so everyone in the gym can see how jacked and tan you are.....

robchris
11-28-2009, 09:46 PM

He** yeah! I thought everybody did...:clown:

cunniff1981
11-29-2009, 03:49 AM
and frankly I find the idea of complaining about it pretentious and a waste of calories better spent making me fatter.

But this, this deserves a petty internet rant.

The only thing worse than idiots, are the type of people who are immersed in decent strength training environments and yet still can't seem to learn anything. We had one guy join us, apparently with a few years of regular powerlifting experience as well as some strongman work, he's read all the books he can get his hands on. On appearance he is the anti-squat rack curler, the guy who is too cool for arm work and body part splits... you know the type.

He trains with many of the good powerlifters here, and joined our Oly club to learn some new stuff.

I have never, in my life seen such horrible technique and an inability to learn. Not just the Oly lifts, he can't even squat past par without rounding over. And those 200 pound squats, well everyone has to hear about it. He also makes sure to do them with 3 rubbers a side to make it look more impressive. The snatch looks like an aborted foetus trying to star jump.

But the real cake, is that when my coach or I try to make a suggestion we get rudely shut down with his own expert knowledge. What do I know? Ive only put 350 pounds over head and he can't even stand stable with 80.

GAAAAAAAAH, I can handle idiots, they can atleast be pointed in the right direction. But someone who is immersed in the right environments, with strong people willing to help then? AND THEN THEY ARE UNWILLING TO TAKE IT ON BOARD.

COME FREAKING ON!!!!!

End petty rant.

I know the bloke you are actually talking about (small world I'm in Adelaide too).
And yes he doesn't take any advice even from people with lots better technique and experiance.

Oh on a side note, I wouldn't mind coming to train once a week with you oly lifters, is that possible??
I have shoulder injuries and can't bench, so powerlifting is gone so after trying something different. However I know my technique isn't great on the snatch and squat cleans, but I am willing too listen :-)