PDA

View Full Version : starting powerlifting

gmen5681
11-27-2009, 11:16 AM
i really want to get into powerlifting, but im not anywhere near an average PLer. do you think it would be better to jump right into the world of PL at my current level, or would it be better to take the starting strength approach and get all my lifts up then start getting into PL? what would you say the minimum total should be to even start thinking about PL?

my current totals are
squat (ATG) 225 3x5
bench 175 3x5
DL 305 3X5

my bench is ridiculously weak, i have always had trouble with it.

Lones Green
11-27-2009, 11:17 AM
There is no "minimum total." If you want to do it, do it. People will be cheering you on no matter what you bench.

IronDiggy
11-27-2009, 11:19 AM
There is no "minimum total." If you want to do it, do it. People will be cheering you on no matter what you bench.

It's true, my first meet I was being beat out by lightweights at 110kgs and people still cheered me on like I was setting some record.

gmen5681
11-27-2009, 12:28 PM
thanks for the confidence guys. i think ill just stick to the starting strength routine for a solid 6 months and put on size to go to my first meet. i need a goal like that to really motivate me. where is a good place to look for meets?

IronDiggy
11-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Where do you live and have you given any thoughts to what kind of federation you want to lift in?

DMedley
11-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Where do you live and have you given any thoughts to what kind of federation you want to lift in?

IronDiggy, I live in Central California. Could you explain more about "kind of Federation". I do not know if I would ever compete but would sure like to attend.

IronDiggy
11-27-2009, 01:59 PM
IronDiggy, I live in Central California. Could you explain more about "kind of Federation". I do not know if I would ever compete but would sure like to attend.

Well you have to think what kind of rules each federation has

-Gear, Multi-ply, Single-ply, Raw
-Tested or untested
-Do you want to squat from a monolift or have to walk the bar out.
-Bench rules like flat footed or benching on your toes, not to mention some federations only have a command to press where as ipf has a start and a press command.

MarcusWild
11-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Go USPF then. Steve Denison runs good meets. He runs them from San Diego to Sacramento. Every month there's a meet somewhere.

gmen5681
11-27-2009, 03:41 PM
i live in North Carolina. i never gave much thought about which federation. it seems there are so many i wouldnt even know where to begin. im not where near the caliber to being doing stuff suited up so i would just go raw and i plan on using juice in the future when i can get it. so i would have to say untested as well. as far as the style of lift that doesnt really matter, i am at the beginning and can adapt to any way.

DMedley
11-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Go USPF then. Steve Denison runs good meets. He runs them from San Diego to Sacramento. Every month there's a meet somewhere.

Marcus, thanks: I have been looking at their site this week and seen there is a meet coming up in Fresno and Sacramento. I am just east of Modesto so will be checking in.

Do you know anything about "Wild Iron Gym" in Cupertino CA. I seen their website and it shows them having weekend seminars for beginners.

MarcusWild
11-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Marcus, thanks: I have been looking at their site this week and seen there is a meet coming up in Fresno and Sacramento. I am just east of Modesto so will be checking in.

Do you know anything about "Wild Iron Gym" in Cupertino CA. I seen their website and it shows them having weekend seminars for beginners.

Yeah, I'm the owner. Let me know if you want to visit. You can just train with the powerlifting crew, and we don't charge out of town visitors anything. We train at 9:30 AM Saturday and Sunday.

DMedley
11-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I'm the owner. Let me know if you want to visit. You can just train with the powerlifting crew, and we don't charge out of town visitors anything. We train at 9:30 AM Saturday and Sunday.

Fantastic! I have a friend that lives in San Jose and I often go there. Are you going to hold the Beginner seminars in December and January?

MarcusWild
11-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Fantastic! I have a friend that lives in San Jose and I often go there. Are you going to hold the Beginner seminars in December and January?

I probably won't. I'm going to be out of town a lot either coaching, judging, or lifting.

DMedley
11-28-2009, 06:51 AM
I probably won't. I'm going to be out of town a lot either coaching, judging, or lifting.

Thanks Marcus ... I am looking forward to getting to the gym and meeting you folks. I really am going to need to get help on my lifts before I hurt myself.

ScottYard
11-28-2009, 04:29 PM
You arent a powerlifter until you do a meet. (Some may disagree but its my opinion) Your best bet is to do a meet ASAP. getting out there will open your eyes up to what this sport really is and most importantly who in your area can help you out. Do a meet and dont forget to have fun in the process. Go to a meet that offers everything. that way when you get there you can get a taste of everything and then you can decide how you want to train and compete(raw , multi ,ect)