PDA

View Full Version : Clean Pull & Back Squat - Critique

accuFLEX
11-27-2009, 04:23 PM
My thoughts:

Back Squat

- Should have been able to do 160x5, but x4 is a PR nonetheless

- The 180kg squat was a weak effort. I thought I had a double in me, but I guess not.

- Form issues?

Clean Pulls

- I haven't done any CPs in about 6 months, and my full clean absolutely sucks, so I figure I need to start doing them more often.

-I can DL 220kg, so getting it off the floor isn't a problem, however, trying to get it up further then my bellybutton with heavier (100kg+) is difficult.

- Form issues?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RgeOob8UUkM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RgeOob8UUkM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a75sSa2hPds&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a75sSa2hPds&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TravisMash
11-28-2009, 09:10 PM
The angle was a little rough, but it appeared that you didn't keep your elbows turned, arm pulled quite a bit at the top, and the bar seems to kick in front of your body instead of straight up the COG line. Anyway that's a take! It looks good though, and the squats are awesome!

Fuzzy
11-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Squats - Look alright, you are a bit stiff, especially at the bottom, relac a it more and get deeper and use the bounce more toy our advantage... we are oly lifters after all. Turn your feet out a bit ever so slightly, it's just looking a tiny bit awkward and as if the hips just cant be fully activitated. Also looks as if the knees arent directly over the toes because the feet are pointed too head on.

I'm going to say this seperately... USE YOUR GLUTES. That 180 looks good on inspection, but you have got get those hips moving in much sooner. Imagine you are trying to bone a chick and you have to get your hips to her as fast and early as possible in the squat.

Clean pulls - They looked a bit weird, and then I realised you have a very wide grip. This may be your preference, but I reccomend taking it in a bit. They look good, but if you want to get them better then you need to be far far more aggressive with the hips. That weight looked like you could clean it yet it was moving far to slow. Pound that bitch hard!!!!

Last note. Try to use smaller width plates, and don't fall into the trap of using the yellows and greens when you could use the reds. You gain a few pounds in the squat because the bar whips more because the weight is further out towards the end. The same thing applies for the clean. I have seen and laughed at many lifters who use 6 pps for something that is really only worth 2 big ones, and the sudden change in bar mechanics really throws them off. Do not get into this habit, and use big plates.

Otherwise, looking pretty good. Best of luck!

accuFLEX
11-29-2009, 08:12 AM
^ Thanks

I wasn't aware of the plate thing. When I warm up with cleans I usually go 50/70/90 and just throw a 15/10/10 on haha. I'll try switching to the reds on Monday.

Re: Grip w/ Cleans

I'm 6'2 so maybe that has something to do with it. I think part of my problem with clean/cp is that I haven't found a grip width that I really like. Too narrow and I feel I can't pull well, too wide and I can't swing my elbows under.

I have a comp on Dec 5 so I don't want to be messing with too much, but needless to say, after that I have a lot of work to do.

Fuzzy
11-29-2009, 08:51 AM
^ Thanks

I wasn't aware of the plate thing. When I warm up with cleans I usually go 50/70/90 and just through a 15/10/10 on haha. I'll try switching to the reds on Monday.

Re: Grip w/ Cleans

I'm 6'2 so maybe that has something to do with it. I think part of my problem with clean/cp is that I haven't found a grip width that I really like. Too narrow and I feel I can't pull well, too wide and I can't swing my elbows under.

I have a comp on Dec 5 so I don't want to be messing with too much, but needless to say, after that I have a lot of work to do.

That's the nature of the beast, you think it's looking alright then you realise how much more work you have to do. Considering your hight, that width seems ok, but it still looks a tad wide. This is all up to you. Personally, I'm a thumb length away from where the smooth meats the knurling. I'm only 5'9, but got some gorilla arms.

As for the plates, yeah, don't be one of the 15/10/10 guys. Getting into the habit of putting the heaviest plates on will help you down the track. It makes sense to make training as similar to competition as possible, and it wont be good on the 5th when the bar suddenly has half as much flex as you are used to and you end up getting dizzy from the exertion. ...... I learnt this the hard way. I can add a good 10-20kg if squat with the bar packed with small weights, 6 pps 200kg squat is much easier than a 4pps

Auburn
11-29-2009, 11:51 AM
All looks good. I agree about utilizing more of the bounce out of the hole on your squat. Pulls look like you might be getting a little too much contact with the upper thighs, but still pretty good.

If you want to use heavier plates to simulate competition, use competition collars instead of 2.5s while you're at it. They can affect the spin and feel a good bit.