PDA

View Full Version : lets hear your cardio routines

Joe Black
04-29-2002, 09:14 AM
I am gonna start doing cardio at least 3 times a week.

Whats your cardio routines and why do you do it that way specifically?

I know it probably wonlt make much difference whetehr i row, run etc I just wondered if anyone had any cool routines as I get bored on cardio very very quickly.

ElPietro
04-29-2002, 09:21 AM
You could try boxing dan. ;)

ericg
04-29-2002, 09:25 AM
LOL

tony touch
04-29-2002, 09:28 AM
i rotate between 20 minutes of intense stairclimber (sounds boring because it is boring but it works) and interval sprinting up hills.

i also try to fit boxing in but it messes up my recovery from the weights (especially the ehavy bag).

Shamik
04-29-2002, 09:35 AM
I change it back and forth from each week. One week I'll do 3 sessions of treadmill. No more than 20 minutes. Intense intervals.
The next week I'll stay on a stationary bike with the same routine.
Every now and then, I'll go on the same thing for a couple of weeks just to mix it up. I don't know if there's anything to it, but I do. By the way, I HATE cardio.

Tryska
04-29-2002, 09:47 AM
hmm...i try to do cardio 5 times a week and it goes soemthing like this:

training days (except legs) - 15 minutes walk/jog HIIT-style on the treadie

non-training days - 45 minutes endurance-style on the elliptical

jdelaware
04-29-2002, 10:23 AM
skip rope for 15 min then 15 min of jog sprint walk hit style.

Budiak
04-29-2002, 11:06 AM
5 minute warmup where I work myself up to 5mph, then I go at 6mph for about 10 minutes, increase to 7mph for ten more minutes, and then a 5-7 minute cooldown followed by a Big Mac.

millertime
04-29-2002, 12:33 PM
I ride the bike for 20 mins, then runs for 20 mins. I cycle the intensity.

MonStar
04-29-2002, 12:36 PM
I ride the stationery bike first thing in the morning on rest days, and postworkout Ill do either the Precor machine or the treadmill for around 15-20 minutes. :):)

MS

GeneticallyGifted
04-29-2002, 02:43 PM
Interval sprinting and interval biking. I hate cardio...I loath it!!!

Oh, boxing is another that I do.

body
04-29-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
You could try boxing dan. ;)

ditto

well i do kick boxing. but also ju-jitsu.

martial arts are a good way for cardio if you go to the right place. they are fun as well. this way not only i am stronger than most people, but also more skillful as well.

the sensi sport physiology knowledge is not the best, so they absoletely tire me out. but will not say anything as he can kick my as*.

BCC
04-29-2002, 02:54 PM
What's cardio?

Kromax
04-29-2002, 03:15 PM
Every third day, I run on the treadmill for 35 minutes, as follows:

5 minutes @ 4mph
8 minutes @ 6mph
2 minutes @ 8mph
5 minutes @ 4mph
8 minutes @ 6mph
2 minutes @ 8mph
5 minutes @ 4mph.

It's about 3.15 miles.

Tru
04-29-2002, 03:23 PM
Freak, what distances of sprints you do?

Shocker
04-29-2002, 04:06 PM
I do sprints on sand mixed alternated with longer distance, preferably on grass. I also do a 3k swim in the ocean once or twice a week.

davetha1
04-29-2002, 08:04 PM
When doin cardio is there like an ideal amount of calories that you should burn off? If so how many is the ideal amount to try and burn off?

WarWolfPanzer88
04-30-2002, 09:02 AM
Monday: 6 mile run (steady). Swim twenty lengths in the afternoon
Tuesday: 4 mile jog. HIIT in the afternoon
Wednesday: 5 mile jog. Swim twenty lengths in the afternoon
Thursday: HIIT. 5 mile jog in the afternoon
Friday: 5 mile jog. 5 mile best-effort run in the afternoon
Saturday: 10 mile normal run or 8 mile best-effort run
Sunday: Orienteering in the hills. Aim to cover 20 miles with a 45-pound pack (this is a march, not a run...), or rest -- depends on the weather and my schedule.

That's my cardio protocol for the moment. It's not as difficult as it should be, though, so I'll probably end up making it a bit more challenging before June comes around...

/WarWolfPanzer88

tony touch
04-30-2002, 09:09 AM
thats alot of ******* cardio

the doc
04-30-2002, 09:09 AM
:omg: I'm getting tired just reading that regimen

IceRgrrl
04-30-2002, 09:15 AM
Running 2-3 times per week: one long run, one interval run, one just-for-fun run.
Spinning: 0-1 time per week (gives my joints a break from running)
Hockey: down to 1-2 times per week now ;)

Accipiter
04-30-2002, 09:22 AM
I haven't done cardio in 1.5 years. Heck I don't think I've gone faster than a slightly faster than normal walk in about 6 months

ElPietro
04-30-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by WarWolfPanzer88
Monday: 6 mile run (steady). Swim twenty lengths in the afternoon
Tuesday: 4 mile jog. HIIT in the afternoon
Wednesday: 5 mile jog. Swim twenty lengths in the afternoon
Thursday: HIIT. 5 mile jog in the afternoon
Friday: 5 mile jog. 5 mile best-effort run in the afternoon
Saturday: 10 mile normal run or 8 mile best-effort run
Sunday: Orienteering in the hills. Aim to cover 20 miles with a 45-pound pack (this is a march, not a run...), or rest -- depends on the weather and my schedule.

That's my cardio protocol for the moment. It's not as difficult as it should be, though, so I'll probably end up making it a bit more challenging before June comes around...

/WarWolfPanzer88

So I'm guessing you don't actually weight train then?

Sebi
04-30-2002, 09:24 AM
Sorry, don't do any cardio.

WarWolfPanzer88
04-30-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro

So I'm guessing you don't actually weight train then?

I do, but I keep my weight-training routine very simple, and I lift solely for general health and fitness; I don't plan to ever compete in bodybuilding or powerlifting. Military presses, squats, deadlifts and rows are usually the only exercises I do with weights, and I never do any of them more than twice a week. I do calisthenics almost daily, though, and occasionally train with that set of 'Fabled Cables' I bought from Ironmind's catalog...

/WarWolfPanzer88

Relentless
05-01-2002, 09:37 AM
I do cardio about 3x a week, and it is almost invariably 45 minute sessions on an elliptical trainer machine, in which I kick my heart into the high end of the aerobic training range and keep it there. This may not be optimal, but I'm nowhere close to a competitive bodybuilder; I'm doing to cardio to train my heart, to keep my metabolism high, and to improve my wind.

I don't know about boredom-reduction (i guess cycling or running outside would be the best way to avoid this) but I have found that the elliptical gives me the most 'bang for my buck' in terms of workout efficacy, and it is quite low impact so my knees, ankles and back don't give me grief when i do it. Actually, a side benefit is that the ellipticals in my gym face a spinning class area, so i can smirk to myself as people bounce up and down on their spincycle seats while the instructor screams "GO HARD! GO HARD!" at them. Actually, some of the girls look rather fetching when they bounce like that **STOP THAT. BAD CALLAHAN. NO LEERING!**

Heh.

I don't like to do cardio on lifting days, so I generally cardio on Wed-Sat-Sun and lift the other days.

I also play basketball the occasional weeknight and football on Saturday every few weekends.

I will also probably change my cardio methods/training because I think I want to run a 1/2 marathon this fall, for which I'll start training soon.

Callahan