PDA

View Full Version : Which Squat Suit Everyone?

NickAus
11-28-2009, 07:02 PM
I am thinking the Metal Ace, my weakness is staying tight in the hole and coming out of the hole.
I have no problem at the top and finish fast.

Will the Ace suit me best or would canvas be better?

Also I will need to be able to put this suit on by myself most days.

Thank you very much.

Chris Rodgers
11-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Do you have any experience squatting in gear?

As far as getting it on/off by yourself, just make sure you don't get it super tight. If either of those suits is tight it's gonna be hell to remove by yourself.

KarstenDD
11-28-2009, 07:44 PM
I suggest the new Inzer Z Suit with the patented Z lock leg openings. O.D. Wilson squatted 1000 in one.

Travis Bell
11-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Squatting alone in gear is about as good an idea as benching in a shirt alone.

Getting one that's big enough to get on yourself isn't going to give you near the carryover you're going to want out of the suit.

SELK
11-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I suggest the new Inzer Z Suit with the patented Z lock leg openings. O.D. Wilson squatted 1000 in one.

I would suggest the upgrade to the Champion, myself.

The Ace is a good suit, I have used one for years and havn't had any problems. The material does see to stretch out a fair amount though, it never effected me because I just moved up in weight classes at the same rate. I wore the same suit from 198 to 242 and it always fit correctly.

The pop out of the hole with the ace is great. It is harder to use then the PRO suit, but not really all that much different. I would make sure you have a good 5-6 sessions in it before you even think about competing in it.

SELK
11-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Also if you are training alone, the Ace goes on/off pretty easily, far easier then a canvas from what I have seen. If you hang from something, you can slide into the suit. Getting it off you can roll the suit over itself (unlike canvas) so that will never be all that much of a problem.

NickAus
11-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Squatting alone in gear is about as good an idea as benching in a shirt alone.

I have nearly always had to Squat alone, I just set the pins in the rack.

Yeah I see your point about the gear not giving as much carry-over if not tight.

NickAus
11-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Also if you are training alone, the Ace goes on/off pretty easily, far easier then a canvas from what I have seen. If you hang from something, you can slide into the suit. Getting it off you can roll the suit over itself (unlike canvas) so that will never be all that much of a problem.

Ok thanks for that, sounds like the Ace is the better option.

NickAus
11-28-2009, 08:05 PM

Is that what your using? Ha

NickAus
11-28-2009, 08:10 PM
I have briefs and wraps only.

I have never had a coach and have to teach myself with the help I have got from some great people in the U.S.
I taught myself to shirt bench and took it from 350 to 525 in a short time so I would say I'm a fast learner (suit may be different).

Ryan Celli
11-28-2009, 08:10 PM
I would think you would have a hard time walking out in either suit you mentioned. They require a wide stance.

NickAus
11-28-2009, 08:12 PM
I would think you would have a hard time walking out in either suit you mentioned. They require a wide stance.

Would I need to go wider than the width of the rack?

Lones Green
11-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Is it your first suit?

NickAus
11-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Yep.

SELK
11-28-2009, 08:37 PM

Ive walked out an squatted decent weights in my ace suit a number of times in a standard rack. My stance is usually about 2-3 inches wider then a standard power rack, but it really doesn't make all that much difference.

You can still get your stance out decently wide in a power rack if your toes are touching the sides.

Lones Green
11-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Yep.

I wouldn't consider the Ace or canvas, I'd go with something along the lines of a pro squatter

robchris
11-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Nick,

I started w/ the inzer z-suit... It is a good starter suit, in that it gets you familiar w/ using a suit and learning the groove of geared squating.

After that I went to a Titan Centurion... Like jumping from a blast shirt to a Katana...Big F***** difference bro. I wasnt able to get depth for a long time until I got it re-sized. I dont have experiance w/ the metal stuff but if its advanced as the centurion It may be a good idea to get a good starter suit first.

BTW Nick, I thought you were a Bench-only guy?

SELK
11-28-2009, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't consider the Ace or canvas, I'd go with something along the lines of a pro squatter

Yeah, Can't go wrong with a pro squatter.

I didn't find the ace any harder to use then the pro squatter, but it did take about 700lbs to get to depth. So I guess it depends what kind of numbers you are moving.

TravisMash
11-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Have you tried the new Titan Boss with velcro straps? I have used almost every squat suit out there, and I would go with this one if you are looking multi-ply.

NickAus
11-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah, Can't go wrong with a pro squatter.

I didn't find the ace any harder to use then the pro squatter, but it did take about 700lbs to get to depth. So I guess it depends what kind of numbers you are moving.

I have done over 600 including bands with just briefs @ 200.

I think I will just take a while to hit depth like you said.

NickAus
11-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Nick,

I started w/ the inzer z-suit... It is a good starter suit, in that it gets you familiar w/ using a suit and learning the groove of geared squating.

After that I went to a Titan Centurion... Like jumping from a blast shirt to a Katana...Big F***** difference bro. I wasnt able to get depth for a long time until I got it re-sized. I dont have experiance w/ the metal stuff but if its advanced as the centurion It may be a good idea to get a good starter suit first.

BTW Nick, I thought you were a Bench-only guy?

I have been Bench only just to get my bench up as it was always the hardest lift for me.

I could squat 400 raw @ 185 with about 5 weeks training.

Need to rest elbow from benching but I would like to squat 700@200 next year and I will.

NickAus
11-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Have you tried the new Titan Boss with velcro straps? I have used almost every squat suit out there, and I would go with this one if you are looking multi-ply.

Have not heard about it, I have heard lots of good things about the ace though.

NickAus
11-28-2009, 09:37 PM

The plan was to learn it with-out briefs under so I should be right if I can use 600+ (should be able to).

douglasoh5
11-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Dude the ace isnt that hard to use. Like you said use it a few time without briefs...just make sure your get the legs seated all the way...you want to get that seam on the leg up to the hips...if not it will pull your legs in. The pro will just be a pain in the ass without the velcro straps...and you dont want to have to spend extra money getting them on. and get it fit tight..at 200lbs most likely youll need a 48-50

NickAus
11-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Dude the ace isnt that hard to use. Like you said use it a few time without briefs...just make sure your get the legs seated all the way...you want to get that seam on the leg up to the hips...if not it will pull your legs in. The pro will just be a pain in the ass without the velcro straps...and you dont want to have to spend extra money getting them on. and get it fit tight..at 200lbs most likely youll need a 48-50

Thank you, I am pleased everyone is helping me.

No offence to anyone but I don't think learning it will be all that hard it will just take some time.
Lots of people act like this stuff is really hard but I have not found that so far at least with bench shirts.

My weight is 210 today so maybe the 50?
My legs are 26.5, hips 42-42.5.

SELK
11-28-2009, 10:10 PM
I got a 50 when I was right around that size.

Doug is right about having it fully on, it makes a huge difference. Making the suit wet will also make getting depth easier.

NickAus
11-28-2009, 10:15 PM
I got a 50 when I was right around that size.

Doug is right about having it fully on, it makes a huge difference. Making the suit wet will also make getting depth easier.

Selk how big were your upper thighs at the time?

SELK
11-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Sorry man! Haven't got a clue.

Clifford Gillmore
11-28-2009, 11:56 PM
The plan was to learn it with-out briefs under so I should be right if I can use 600+ (should be able to).

I've had 220kg on the bar + Super choked average bands (80kg at the top) and still could not get to depth with the Pro briefs and Pro squatter.

And I can get it on by myself, albiet i need to use the smith machine to get seated - but I can get it on.

NickAus
11-29-2009, 12:18 AM
I've had 220kg on the bar + Super choked average bands (80kg at the top) and still could not get to depth with the Pro briefs and Pro squatter.

And I can get it on by myself, albiet i need to use the smith machine to get seated - but I can get it on.

Yep that's only about 515-530 at the bottom though, I think you would need 600+.

NickAus
11-29-2009, 12:22 AM
^that was not meant to sound rude^

Clifford Gillmore
11-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Yep that's only about 515-530 at the bottom though, I think you would need 600+.

That was straps down too.

I've been convinced that its going to stretch out though, so I'll just wear the crap out of it. Or squat 750. Which ever.

NickAus
11-29-2009, 12:31 AM
From what I have heard 600+ straight weight should be enough with the pro/pro combo.

Risk do you have any gear you want to swap for a new ace shirt?

NickAus
11-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Sorry man! Haven't got a clue.

No worries!

I'll let you know how it goes, I think size 50 sounds right.

Clifford Gillmore
11-29-2009, 01:13 AM
From what I have heard 600+ straight weight should be enough with the pro/pro combo.

Risk do you have any gear you want to swap for a new ace shirt?

I do not, all I have is the Pro/Pro and a Metal V-Type squatter I pull in. Thanks for the offer though!

I'll have a word to any guys in the gym, but most of them are Titan guys.

NickAus
11-29-2009, 03:19 AM
Ok thanks.

theBarzeen
11-29-2009, 08:45 AM
if you want pop out of the hole a canvas can't be beat.... but if you are squatting by yourself that could get a little scary..... whatever you decide to do, more power to you for trying to make it happen without a team to train with

Lones Green
11-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Thank you, I am pleased everyone is helping me.

No offence to anyone but I don't think learning it will be all that hard it will just take some time.
Lots of people act like this stuff is really hard but I have not found that so far at least with bench shirts.

My weight is 210 today so maybe the 50?
My legs are 26.5, hips 42-42.5.

It gets pretty complicated...

Ryan Celli
11-29-2009, 09:52 AM

depends on the rack of course, but I don't think so.
i think the suit will make it hard to get them out there.

Chris Rodgers
11-29-2009, 11:44 AM
FWIW, I own a size 46 ACE. I don't know my thigh measurement, but I pretty much have chicken legs. When I used that suit I weighed between 173-177ish and it was balls tight on my legs!! Just going from that I would suggest you don't get the 48...especially if you will wear briefs under it and train alone.

ScottYard
11-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Go with the Ace for Longevity Alone. I used the same one for 2 years and 8 meets. I didnt need a new one until I out grew it. Plus the straps dont have ot be balls tight. You can get them set where you want them and sliding them off an on will be easy while alone. I wore just an Ace without briefs as well. for a while. The suit is so thick briefs wont be needed for a while.

douglasoh5
11-29-2009, 12:03 PM
a 50 will be good.

dammstrate
11-29-2009, 02:07 PM
If you can squat to depth 600 in just briefs, then 700 will be no problem in a properly fitting suit.

* if you are squatting alone, no canvas. A properly fitting canvas will take two or three people to get it off of you. If you can do it yourself, it isn't going to have much support for you.

* what briefs do you wear? This make some difference. If you have Predators which flare a bit at the end, or even Metal Pros, a Metal Pro Ace or Titan Boss which clamps your leg openings will get caught up in the seam of and you will not be happy. If you have Preds or a Metal Pro, go with an Inzer T-Rex or Metal Pro (not Ace) for the suit.

* ALWAYS get the velcro straps, it what allows you to tune the depth

* I wouldn't squat in the suit alone. Are you going to compete that way? Then why practice that way? The feel is WAY different.

Going from hard to learn to easy I believe the double ply sequence is:
hardest
pure canvas like Ginny or Frantz
canvas with inserts like Inzer Leviathon
Metal Pro Ace (don't see many top guys with this for a squat suit, although it is very popular for briefs)
Titan Boss
Metal Pro
Inzer T-REX
easiest

600 in briefs at 200 is pretty stout for a relative beginner. Good Luck!

Pete22
11-29-2009, 02:38 PM
I bought an Ace and I was able to get it on relatively easy by just hanging from a loaded bar (Under Armour compression shorts underneath help a ton). I trained alone in it, walking it out does suck, but it's definitely doable. Straps down and without briefs, I was able to hit depth with as little as 455ish. It's a great suit and fairly easy to learn, it really helps force your knees out, versus caving them in as some suits tend to do.

douglasoh5
11-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Greg I used the preds inder my ace and with the flared leg openeing there are a few things you can do to deal with them rolling up. 1. suit slippers.....pull them up over the end of the briefs and it helps the suit slide over the opening.....2. duct tape the flared side to your leg( Iv done it)....3..shoe strings...cut a tiny hole in the lower part of the leg and when your hanging have someone hold them down and it keeps it from sliding up.

KarstenDD
11-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Oh, Dammstrate. You are a role model for all of us aspiring gear whores out there.

mastermonster
11-29-2009, 03:32 PM

Totally agree with Travis. I went from a Leviathon Canvas to the old Boss in 2005 and my squat went up a good 75 Lbs. The new Boss has taken me up another 50 at least. With the velcro straps just wrap the front straps on the squat bar and drop and wiggle your way in. I'm in mine in about 2 minutes after it was broken in. Then unstrap it and peel it off.

P.S. The velcro straps are great also because you can loosen or tighten them to help get down properly with your lighter to heavier attempts. I've had guys learn to use it with much less experience than you have. Good luck which ever way you go!

P.S. Travis is a multi time WPO and APF Senior National Champion with a wealth of equipment knowledge. Advice well worth considering.

Brian Hopper
11-29-2009, 03:52 PM

This would be my choice for multi-ply squat suit, for a single-ply I would go with a Super Centurion from Titan as well.

douglasoh5
11-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Didnt travis do all of his big squats is metal though?

NickAus
11-29-2009, 08:42 PM
if you want pop out of the hole a canvas can't be beat.... but if you are squatting by yourself that could get a little scary..... whatever you decide to do, more power to you for trying to make it happen without a team to train with

Thanks!!

NickAus
11-29-2009, 08:43 PM
It gets pretty complicated...

Thanks, I will see.

NickAus
11-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Go with the Ace for Longevity Alone. I used the same one for 2 years and 8 meets. I didnt need a new one until I out grew it. Plus the straps dont have ot be balls tight. You can get them set where you want them and sliding them off an on will be easy while alone. I wore just an Ace without briefs as well. for a while. The suit is so thick briefs wont be needed for a while.

Thanks a lot Scott, yeah my plan was to use the suit with-out briefs.

NickAus
11-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Thank you very much everyone, very helpful.

I do have to train mostly alone for now but I get my training partner back later.

I see that training in gear is tricky and not ideal with-out a coach or team but I have no choice, and I know for a fact you can still get very strong.

My training partner now has a 500lb raw squat @ 160 training mostly alone in a very simple gym THIS IS STRONGER THAN MOST HERE!
As far as I know that's the best in Australia or close, done in two years.
There are guys that weigh 100 more and can't match that so you do not need to train with a team it's just much better.

Thanks again very helpful!!

Travis Bell
11-29-2009, 09:28 PM
You're misunderstanding what everyone is saying.

Training alone isn't a problem at all. It's not ideal, but it certainly can be done.....raw

Training in gear alone is a mistake. Training in multiply gear alone is a super mistake. A lot of us on here have been doing this for a long time and one thing you learn is that when things go wrong in gangster gear, it happens super fast, in the blink of an eye and people get hurt, sometimes even when you have the appropriate safety precautions in place, so doing it alone only increases the risk of getting hurt badly tenfold.

You always have a choice though, just depends on how much you are willing to sacrafice to get it. Most of us who train with big teams often sacrafice time with the family, job, vacation time, lots of money, what have you.

Always better to be safe than sorry though

And don't be mistaken, there are a LOT of 500lb raw squatters on this board

NickAus
11-29-2009, 09:39 PM

Training alone isn't a problem at all. It's not ideal, but it certainly can be done.....raw

Training in gear alone is a mistake. Training in multiply gear alone is a super mistake. A lot of us on here have been doing this for a long time and one thing you learn is that when things go wrong in gangster gear, it happens super fast, in the blink of an eye and people get hurt, sometimes even when you have the appropriate safety precautions in place, so doing it alone only increases the risk of getting hurt badly tenfold.

You always have a choice though, just depends on how much you are willing to sacrafice to get it. Most of us who train with big teams often sacrafice time with the family, job, vacation time, lots of money, what have you.

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

I have had to sacrifice a lot in my life for sports, see my signature.

Out of interest how many can squat 500@160 raw?
Are there really a LOT here?

Sidior
11-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Not to thread hijack but since this thread is already up and running might as well throw it in here. If I am sizing out a new Metal Pro suit and already have a pair of Ace briefs to wear underneath should I be going up an additional size to accommodate for fitting the briefs underneath?

NickAus
11-30-2009, 01:34 AM
Not to thread hijack but since this thread is already up and running might as well throw it in here. If I am sizing out a new Metal Pro suit and already have a pair of Ace briefs to wear underneath should I be going up an additional size to accommodate for fitting the briefs underneath?

Yep for sure, the briefs are meant to be very think and bulky.

Lones Green
11-30-2009, 03:13 AM

The pro stuff stretches likes hell, take that into consideration. May not have to get a size bigger...

douglasoh5
11-30-2009, 09:54 AM
I agree with bell on the safety part of it all...It can def be dangerous and made alot harder by not having anyone around to help...I know/know of a cpl ppl that are really good multi ply lifters that train alone. Chris Hiage(sp?) hes a 275 lifter and is around a 2200 total...does most of his squating alone and from vids looks like he does the same as you with bands to hold boards even with a shirt. His best is 710...I think hes got a 800 squat too. and jason adams..I know him...he doesnt powerlift anymore but trained alone the whole time he did it...he was close to 2k at 198.

Chris Rodgers
11-30-2009, 01:38 PM

I agree with Travis. I wish you the absolute best, but the bottom line is it is dangerous to train in gear by yourself or with minimal/inexperienced spotting.

And yes, your friend has very good raw strength for his size....but that has nothing to do with training in gear alone.

Good luck with whichever route you take!

endymion88
11-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Ok thanks for clearing that up.

I have had to sacrifice a lot in my life for sports, see my signature.

Out of interest how many can squat 500@160 raw?
Are there really a LOT here?

you sound like one of the guys who you run into while you're lifting who say how much their cousins sisters boyfriend squatted back in highschool. not very becoming on your character. who cares how much your friend squats? and why are you insulting the guys on this board because you honestly don't know how much they can each lift. sure there are new lifters here but this site also carries more high caliber lifters than any other forum so i'm sure other people have equally impressive lifting abilities. stop asking what you should do because before you even posted this you chose the metal ace. sorry for the rant it just ticked me off when you insulted the members on this board.

i know you may not have meant for it to be insulting but to me personally it was. i used to think you were a decent poster but you really sounded pompous.

Brian C
11-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Don't mean to hijack, but out of the 3 suits Boss, Ace, or Pro, what would he the best to also pull sumo in? I'm at the same point as the OP, but only have cash for 1 suit. Sorry for imposing. Just didn't want to start a new post on same issue.

douglasoh5
11-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Brian an ace is really good for sumo

NickAus
11-30-2009, 03:14 PM
I agree with Travis. I wish you the absolute best, but the bottom line is it is dangerous to train in gear by yourself or with minimal/inexperienced spotting.

And yes, your friend has very good raw strength for his size....but that has nothing to do with training in gear alone.

Good luck with whichever route you take!

Thanks, I do see what people are saying and safety has to been top priority.

NickAus
11-30-2009, 03:23 PM
you sound like one of the guys who you run into while you're lifting who say how much their cousins sisters boyfriend squatted back in highschool. not very becoming on your character. who cares how much your friend squats? and why are you insulting the guys on this board because you honestly don't know how much they can each lift. sure there are new lifters here but this site also carries more high caliber lifters than any other forum so i'm sure other people have equally impressive lifting abilities. stop asking what you should do because before you even posted this you chose the metal ace. sorry for the rant it just ticked me off when you insulted the members on this board.

i know you may not have meant for it to be insulting but to me personally it was. i used to think you were a decent poster but you really sounded pompous.

Listen, all I was doing is pointing out that you can do very well training alone, I do see now that raw strength and training alone with gear is different.

It really was not meant to insult.

I also said I had learnt the shirt on my own and gone from 350 to 525 in a pretty short time, ME not my friend.
I said this to illustrate that you can learn and train in gear with-out a team.

Yes I was leaning towards the ace from the start big deal, people confirmed for me that canvas was a bad idea alone.
Don't ****ing tell me not to ask, if I had not asked I would not have known.

NickAus
11-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I will hold off on the idea until I at least have my training partner back, no point getting hurt and not being able to train at all.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Sean S
11-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Just be sure to take some really good safety precautions when training alone in gear. Early on I had a couple of instances in gear where I was trying to get depth in the SQ and kind of "collapsed" because I got out of the groove. Thankfully I had good spotters and everything turned out fine.
I've only had one training partner for the last 3.5 years or so. We are both reasonably experienced in gear and haven't had any big issues. When we go heavy we often hook up some spud straps as a spotting device on the monolift in case something goes wrong. Another thing we sometimes do is put a short box underneath us when we SQ in heavy gear in addition to the spotting straps. This would allow us to sit down on the box and lean forward to get the straps to catch the bar if we miss. We've never had any major incidents, but we put these safety measures in place anyway.