PDA

View Full Version : Is good nutrition enough?

jtj10
11-29-2009, 11:46 AM
So basically my stats are 175-180lbs at 10% bf. I track all my calories and make sure to get enough calories and protein since I'm trying to gain lean mass. It just seems that people that take supplements have a significant advantage. I'm trying to complete my goal or 190lbs with no supplements. Should I just buy suplements or continue with just great nutrion from food

skinny99
11-29-2009, 11:53 AM
I think that in your case you can just eat more! You are pretty trim and want to get bigger,so more quality food is prob all you need. Supps are just that,something you use to get cal/protein that you aren't getting from food. Milk,meat,veggies and whole grain bread should be enough to get bigger. You say you track your calories,just add 300-500 calories a day through good food,lift heavy and rest and you will grow! IMO

james_w8lifter
11-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Protein supplements are a great, quick way to take in a large amount of needed calories and protein. If you are stressed for time it is no problem to gulp down 500-1200 calories and up to 80 grams of protein in about 30 seconds. If you can get enough calories and protein from regular food then by all means do so. Unless you just don't want to fork over the money I don't see why you wouldn't buy protein supplements because they would be quick and easy to consume. While bulking I can't imagine trying to chomp down all the calories I need instead of just drinking them. Its your choice though.

tom183
11-29-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm sure you can gain 10 pounds without resorting to supplements. It's entirely up to you though, there's nothing wrong with supplementing.

ImAStripper
11-29-2009, 05:46 PM
I will say whatever you do, supps or not, it isnt going to happen over night. lean body mass is like .5 lbs per week. like they said just throw 300-500 calories extra above mantenience and lift hard.

skinny99
11-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Don't get me wrong supps are very useful. I take creatine every day and usually between 48-96 grams of protein powder a day(depending on diet and lifting)! The powder works good for me as I am usually cutting and can get 22g of protein with only 110 calories! Very tough to do with whole foods,however with the amount of calories you prob should eat you will get plenty of protein eating meat,eggs,veggies and milk. Creatine may be something to look at though,very inexpensive and can be useful for most people. IMO

jtj10
11-29-2009, 06:52 PM
thank you for the respones. Protein powder is not needed for me as i get enough protein over 250grams daily. Creatine I dont particulary like because Ill gain strength and size while on it but then lose it. What about Nitric-oxide supplements ?

skinny99
11-29-2009, 07:13 PM
thank you for the respones. Protein powder is not needed for me as i get enough protein over 250grams daily. Creatine I dont particulary like because Ill gain strength and size while on it but then lose it. What about Nitric-oxide supplements ?
Where did you get the idea you would lose your size and strength gains if you stop taking creatine? I think that is an old misconception! If your muscles grow and get stronger they are still bigger and stronger,you may not be holding as much water when you stop but the muscle is still there!

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22690

jtj10
11-29-2009, 07:25 PM
ive taken many types of creatine. When i meant weight loss i mainly meant water weight. I usually only keep 2-3lbs after cycling creatine. Just didnt find it that good personally

skinny99
11-29-2009, 07:35 PM
ive taken many types of creatine. When i meant weight loss i mainly meant water weight. I usually only keep 2-3lbs after cycling creatine. Just didnt find it that good personally

Yeah nothing works for everybody! I would just eat,I wish I was trying to gain weight and not lose it would be so much simpler. I bet you eat a couple large potions of steak,pork chops or chicken breast everyday and the extra size you want will come! Milk and eggs also!

jtj10
11-29-2009, 07:49 PM
thank you...you have been very helpful. Just wondering about opinions on nitric oxides before gym workouts. I would think it would be more for cutting do to sweating more and hr being raised. I have taken them and it just seemed for cutting as i sweated alot more then normal. Any opinions?

skinny99
11-29-2009, 07:57 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69934&highlight=nitric+oxide

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130216&highlight=nitric+oxide

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125199&highlight=nitric+oxide

Doesn't seem to be the most beneficial supp!

VikingWarlord
11-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Just say no to NO.

To gain weight, just eat and train hard. If it's not working, eat more and train harder. It's that simple.

pitterson
12-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Hello jtj10,
You have to cintinue with that.You need good nutrition.An example of a good source of carbohydrates would be almost any fruit or vegetable. These options allow you to get the carbohydrates you need for energy, plus fiber for a healthy digestive system, vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants.

David Trantham
12-05-2009, 12:22 PM
supplements are not required by no means, they are to supplement your diet. good protein, creatine, would the the mininum. there are lost of supplements that are just unnecessary and a waist of money., but there are very good supplements that can and will help you recover better. i must say there is nothing that can place good whole foods. eat good quality protein, good essential fats, good complex carbs with fruits and vegs and your body should be getting everything it needs to grow. BUTT REMEMBER SUPPLEMENTS CAN AND WILL AIDE IN GOOD SPEEDY RECCOVERY, WHICH WILL ABLE YOU TO WORKOUT LONGER AND HARDER WHICH IN RETURN CAN MEAN MORE GROWTH!!!!!!!!!!