PDA

View Full Version : Bench lockout question

Ripe1
11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Hello everyone. 1 of the guys in the benching crew has a problem with locking out his right arm. But for some reason it only happens with full rom benches. If he does boards both arms straighten out evenly. Off the chest it's always the right arm. Any guesses whats causing this?

And of course, how do we fix it? Uneven grip, bringing the right hand in or out? Twisting the right sleeve in more than the left? Any ideas?

vdizenzo
11-30-2009, 03:50 PM
I have no guess, but I do know trying to work one side of the body is tough. My suggestion to him would be to focus on driving under the right elbow as hard as possible from the bottom of the press.

barbell01
11-30-2009, 04:06 PM
is he gripping the bar as tight as possible? is he trying to pull the bar apart?

NickAus
11-30-2009, 04:13 PM
He may be lowering the bar more on the right side making the distance a little more on that side.

MarcusWild
11-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Do both arms tuck and flare the same? If not, then it's probably a shoulder issue.

robchris
11-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Do both arms tuck and flare the same? If not, then it's probably a shoulder issue.

Same thing I was thinking... Does he have any prior injuries on the right side?

DB benchs can help correct inbalances like this since they work each side independently.

TankofZenzenBB
11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
I got the same problem with my right arm not locking out. I did a lot more DB bench, rotattor cuff work and layed off the 600+ benches which helped me a lot. I was in a bigger Rage-X shirt that gave me something. I started with 405 and progressed all the way up to 500 for a set of 5 reps off a 3 board. I had a grade 1 AC joint sprain that happened to me in football 5 years ago. I'm going to start at around 525ish this week in my tighter shirt to see how it goes.

Ripe1
12-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Thank you all.

He hasn't mentioned any injuries that might cause this. The grip is tight but I'm guessing he's not trying to pull the bar apart. He doesn't do much db work so adding those might help a lot. Are there any quick fixes since obviously he really can't go around it?

Morgan McPherson
12-01-2009, 11:19 PM
What stands out to me is that he is possibly setting up a little different. Sometimes my training partner looses his arch, or shoulders come un-tucked on full ROM. Whereas with board work it is easier to hold form. It might have something to do with how tight he gets, or lack thereof, or it might be a set-up issue. I would film both, and then review the film to see if there are any inconsistencies, ie lack of leg drive, etc.

ScottYard
12-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I knew a guy that had this same issue constantly and tried everything to fix it. He was a 500 raw bencher our freshmen year in college so he was Very strong and he tried everything. his solution was very simple. When meet day came around the arm he lagged with would be moved out 1 finger. he lockout evenly every time after that. he only did it on Meet day though.