PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix my DL lockout (vid attached)

Cmanuel
11-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Take a look at my recent 550 miss:
mmF8QZf2sro

Notice how strong I am throughout the pull until i get to the last few inches of my lockout. My grip failed before I could lock it out

I think my strength off the floor is because I did speed pulls off a 6 inch box after every 5-3-1 deadlift workout for about 8 weeks.

I'm wondering if you guys would recommend pulls against bands, rack pulls, a combination of, or whatever. Just trying to get through my sticking point (see vid above)

Note: I use 5-3-1 system for training all my lifts. Its worked incredibly well for my deadlift and I intend to stay with the program.

MarcusWild
11-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Shrugs will help that. Also, if you deadlift against bands then set them up like at 2:17 in this video:

NTAVejqBQVs

It'll teach you to pull back which is the key to locking out a deadlift. You're trying to still pull up, and you don't need to pull the bar higher to lockout at that point. Just don't put the bar down like Bill did. That destroyed that bar, haha.

Cmanuel
11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me that maybe high rep high weight shrugs will help as well.

Thanks for the vid. I do not have access to a rack with band pegs. It looks like I'll be able to attach them to my rack like in the video. I'll have to pay really look at the rack I use and see if it will work (its a **** rack at a **** commercial gym lol)

MarcusWild
11-30-2009, 04:16 PM
We don't use the band pegs for that anyway. The key is the bands are hooked to the bottom and front. That way they pull forward and down. It's brutal.

brdclck
11-30-2009, 04:29 PM
That looks like a great way to set up bands. How would you compare the tension to a more conventional band setup (I don't mean specific numbers).

Lones Green
11-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Glute and hip work will help as well

Rack pulls, pulls against bands, rack pulls against quad mini's, GHR's, etc

Grip work wouldn't hurt either

AdamBAG
11-30-2009, 06:32 PM
You spend a bunch of time setting your grip to pull...and then you re-grip right before the pull. Don't do that. Either set your grip up deliberately and then pull or grip it and rip it. You are wasting time down at the bar.

I think it's a grip problem, not a lockout problem. You hold on 2 more seconds and you lock it out.

Concentrate on squeezing the glutes hard to push your hips through.

MarcusWild
11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
That looks like a great way to set up bands. How would you compare the tension to a more conventional band setup (I don't mean specific numbers).

It's just different since it pulls forward too. Usually you have to quad bands for rack pulls and those are only doubled, so you can definitely use bigger bands that you normally do for rack pulls.

sambone
11-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I had the exact same problem. I flew off the ground and stalled 2inchs from lock out. I pulled 2x a week. One day from the floor with quaded minis DE and another day more like a ME day from just above the knees with quaded minis. I really focused on firing my glutes. Within 6 weeks my pull shot up from 605lbs to 660lbs. Part of the problem is not using your glutes at the right time.

douglasoh5
11-30-2009, 08:23 PM
move grip out just a hair on each side. you def need to work your lockout. what i would do is rotate 4-5 different exersices...rack pulls pin 3-5....rack pulls vs quad minis pin 2-4....pulls standing on mats and reg pulls off the ground. say week 1 rack pulls vs gands. week 2 standing on mats week 3 reg rack pulls then week 4 pulls off ground....i would allways use a different pin and height on mats. do all your warm up with a dbl over hand grip(not hook) then switch when u get heavy. pretty much just change **** all the time...i prolly go 3 months before i do the same exersice again...been doing this for a few years and pull keeps climbing.

Cmanuel
11-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Good advice here from everyone. I'm going to use the advice and throw in some new accessory movements during my next 531 Wave. Santa will bring me a set of bands hopefully!

Ben F Burgess
12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I got great results fixing this just standing on the band and having it doubled over the bar.

Hard to explain, you cant use LOADS of tension or it makes you unstable but you can definately add maybe 40-50lb at the top and just stand on the band.

Notorious
12-01-2009, 12:43 PM
I think it's a grip problem, not a lockout problem. You hold on 2 more seconds and you lock it out.

I agree. A true max effort deadlift will always take as long as that or even longer. And there is no doubt you would have gotten that if you held on. Maybe try hook grip for now and hit the grip work hard.