PDA

View Full Version : Confusion over water retention

04-29-2002, 11:22 AM
if drinking more water lowers water retenion, how come bbers cut their water off the night before a show?

Reinier
04-29-2002, 12:51 PM
who says it does?

Slim Schaedle
04-30-2002, 01:35 AM
Reiner, old school bodybuilders would drink up to 5 gallons a day to shed water. Don't ask me if this is true b/c I would never be able to try it.

YatesNightBlade
04-30-2002, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Avatar
if drinking more water lowers water retenion, how come bbers cut their water off the night before a show?

Because your body still excretes at the same level, but you can only trick the body for so long. Hence ... waiting till the night/day of the show.

04-30-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade

Because your body still excretes at the same level, but you can only trick the body for so long. Hence ... waiting till the night/day of the show.

thx yates. Ya I kinda knew the body temporarily excreted at the same level but I guess my question is more in regards to how drinking more water sheds more water.

I was doing some thinking and is it because if someone indulges in lots of sodium one day, they hold more of the water that they had taken in or already in their body.
If the next day he keeps sodium at the same level and water at the same or lowers water he'll retain all of that water or even more.
If howerever the following day he lowers sodium right down, raises water intake or keeps water at the same high level, he'll flush out much of the other water that the previously high sodium was retaining.

Is that correct or even make any sense?

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-30-2002, 09:32 AM
How much water you drink regulates ADH levels in the kidneys. ADH levels decide whether water gets reabsorbed or filtered out.

Bobarell
04-30-2002, 11:19 AM
Also, just like anything....if your body does not have enough of something it stores what you DO put in.

That is why we eat 6 times a day as well. If you eat one big meal a day your body will feel like it has to keep most of the stuff you put in because it knows it won't get anything for a while. But at the same time, eating 6 times help your metabolism, but it also tells your body that you will be feeding it so it can burn it.

When a person is dehydrated the body feels like it needs to keep the water you do put in, but if you feed it lots of water it doesn't save any of it, therefor no more water retention