PDA

View Full Version : Collegiate Powerlifting Roll Call

Cmanuel
11-30-2009, 03:58 PM
If you are currently, or were once a part of a collegiate powerlifting or weight lifting club, can you please post here?

I'm going to have a meeting Thursday with the director of club sports here at colorado state university to talk about creating a weight club here on campus. My goal is to create a club within the next year to promote strength sports (powerlifting, o-lifting, strongman, etc) and while I go through this process I am sure I will be calling on you guys for help.

Any input would be appreciated as I go through with this process!!

Hazerboy
11-30-2009, 08:31 PM
We tried formally creating one, though our school wanted us to be a "sports club," which meant we had to have regimented practices (didn't work because of scheduling), but yeah I've essentially created one at my school. THere is about 6 of us that show up at the same time and lift together.

Invain
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm a member of the powerlifting club here at my school. There's 20 - 30 members total although only 15 or so of us are actually serious about training. Out of those that train, maybe 5 or 6 meet up regularly, lol. We mainly contact each other through a facebook group.

J.C.
12-01-2009, 05:55 AM
I'll be watching this thread closely. I've been thinking about the same thing for a while now. Being new to my university (I'm a grad student) I'm currently biding my time a little and trying to befriend and interest some of the stronger lads in the gym first. After Christmas I'm hoping a group of us can get together to use the lifting room reserved for the sports teams.

Cmanuel
12-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Yeah I'm hoping for something similar. The student rec center on campus here is overcrowded, they don't allow chalk, and don't like it when we do deadlifts. ITs just a bunch of quarter squatting ******s. I have a feeling it will be an uphill battle, but after my meeting thursday I will know for sure.

Guido
12-01-2009, 07:28 AM
I'm no longer a student but I've been lifting with Illini Powerlifting for several years now. It started back in 2003 with a few guys who wanted to get stronger and now has about 30+ members at any one time plus some alumni members who lift with the team at meets and sometimes at the gym when they come back on campus. It's a Registered Student Organization now so we get some money to use for travel to meets, hotels, equipment, etc. Dracoy (who has a journal on here) and Bergs (who is on here sometimes) are also part of the team.

If you want to know more the team website is in my signature.

Cmanuel
12-01-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm no longer a student but I've been lifting with Illini Powerlifting for several years now. It started back in 2003 with a few guys who wanted to get stronger and now has about 30+ members at any one time plus some alumni members who lift with the team at meets and sometimes at the gym when they come back on campus. It's a Registered Student Organization now so we get some money to use for travel to meets, hotels, equipment, etc. Dracoy (who has a journal on here) and Bergs (who is on here sometimes) are also part of the team.

If you want to know more the team website is in my signature.

Cool I'll be checking it out. About how much do you guys get per year from student organizations? When I was at Clemson I was a part of the weight club there. We had about 100 members, operated our own gym on campus, and was a recognized club but decided to bypass funding from student government. We just charged dues each semester (or discounted rate per year). Usually netted about 8,000 / year, enough for major equipment/gym upgrades each year.

mr handy
12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Be ready for a lot of red tape and cr*p when getting the club started, and be ready to participate in SGU (if your school is anything like mine was)

Make sure you encourage everyone of every experience and skill level, and don't allow any negativity toward new lifters (I don't think this will be a problem with people like yourself who are really into the sport)

I found that getting people to show up when they say they will to be the hardest part. Be prepared for a lot of people to come and go, and not do when they say they will... gosh that sounds like everything in college.

Good Luck with the club! I started a mildly successful Paintball club when I was in school, and it ended up being more work then it was worth I think in the end, A Powerlifting Club sounds like it will be received better by the powers that be, and easier to coordinate and keep going on a daily basis. At this point I would have loved to have a club to get me started and show me the ropes.

Detard
12-01-2009, 11:33 AM
We tried to do that this year but got rejected. To make it a formal team, we had to have a bank account set up, and someo ther bull****.

If it doesnt work, start a facebook group and send it to everyone. Make a time for everyone to meet up and see who shows. Informal would probably be your best bet unless your trying to compete against other schools.

Cmanuel
12-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Be ready for a lot of red tape and cr*p when getting the club started, and be ready to participate in SGU (if your school is anything like mine was)

Make sure you encourage everyone of every experience and skill level, and don't allow any negativity toward new lifters (I don't think this will be a problem with people like yourself who are really into the sport)

I found that getting people to show up when they say they will to be the hardest part. Be prepared for a lot of people to come and go, and not do when they say they will... gosh that sounds like everything in college.

Good Luck with the club! I started a mildly successful Paintball club when I was in school, and it ended up being more work then it was worth I think in the end, A Powerlifting Club sounds like it will be received better by the powers that be, and easier to coordinate and keep going on a daily basis. At this point I would have loved to have a club to get me started and show me the ropes.

Thanks for the Input. I have a bit of experience with this sort of thing. I was an officer at the weight club for Clemson university for 3 years. We didn't have a lot of red tape to go through since we were self sufficient and didn't ask student government for money, but there still were a few frustrating red tape situations.

I am very enthusiastic about this, anyone who is open and willing to learn and is receptive will be welcome.

Cmanuel
12-01-2009, 02:09 PM
We tried to do that this year but got rejected. To make it a formal team, we had to have a bank account set up, and someo ther bull****.

If it doesnt work, start a facebook group and send it to everyone. Make a time for everyone to meet up and see who shows. Informal would probably be your best bet unless your trying to compete against other schools.

I agree, informal would probably be best, but if we can go through student government and get a few thousand dollars a year for equipment then that would be ideal. Who knows, maybe even our own gym like at Clemson.

I'll let you guys know what happens at this meeting on Thursday.

Cmanuel
12-03-2009, 09:50 AM
So the meeting went pretty well. Obviously there are going to be differences from school to school concerning Club Sports, but this is what they are looking for to form a new Club Sport team at Colorado State University:

Pre-reqs (minimum criteria) for creating a new Club Sport. (My comments are in parentheses )

-Successful student organization membership for a year (probably not a problem to get the ball rolling on)
-Must be associated with a National Association, League, or other governing body and compete in at least two collegiate competitions per year. (I explained to him how powerlifting federations work, where you usually have a single meet with different divisions within the same meet, and he said that as long as there is a collegiate division then its fine. I will have to look more into it but it sounds like USAPL might be the best bet to serve as our governing body since they already have a well established collegiate league)

I dont see any significant road blocks in my opinion. The USAPL hosts a few meets in the Denver area in CO a year, so attending meets often to satisfy minimum requirements won't be a problem. I think the biggest issue will be successfully organizing and maintaining a student organization on campus since the school gym here sucks. I'm going to have to look into seeing if we could lift in the athlete's gym.

Here are some cool perks/benefits of being a club sport that we discussed:
- Facility and Space may be provided
- Funding for Equipment
- Funding for travel

Equipment for lifting is definitely more expensive than other sports (at least initially), but I think I could come up with ways to generate revenue for the club (dues, fund raisers, etc) and maybe that revenue in addition to student gov't funding could buy a small garage gym worth of equipment to get started. If we had our own room on campus we could possibly investigate generating revenue by allowing non-club members to lift in our area by charging them a fee.

I'm going to start generating interest on campus and get this rolling as a student organization. I'll keep you guys posted.

I'm pretty excited as the club sports director seemed pretty enthusiastic about having a powerlifting club join.

Detard
12-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Sounds like it went well dude. Nice job. Good luck with it all, I may take some notes in the future if I plan on doing the same thing at my university.