PDA

View Full Version : Hoo's Gym is done, up and running.

JK1
12-01-2009, 04:42 PM
We finished up things this past weekend. I'm going to put up a couple/few pictures now and a couple more later tonight.

If anyof you are in or around Auburn/Montgomery Alabama and are looking for a place to train, get in touch with me. We are looking for a few more lifters.

Monolift loaded and ready for work:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Vet1/th_Image0031.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Vet1/?action=view&current=Image0031.jpg)

right side of the gym: Elitefts rack, Elitefts bench, deadlift area, Jumpstretch platform, monolift, chains, and other important stuff
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Vet1/th_gympicture1.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Vet1/?action=view&current=gympicture1.jpg)

Left side of the gym: lat pulldown, reverse hyper, 45 degree back extension, GHR. this was before we put the new floor pads down, its a bit different.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Vet1/th_15463_178325398770_743603770_279081.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Vet1/?action=view&current=15463_178325398770_743603770_279081.jpg)

Not pictured: incline/decline bench and another powerrack. giant gripper, treadmill, bike, slant board, heavy bag and speed bag platforms. Pictures of some of those will follow shortly.

Travis Bell
12-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Wow! Nice set up man

Lones Green
12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Looks like you got everything you need Jack!

JK1
12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks Travis and Lones. Its not 100% finished, but its far enough along, we can start working on getting a few more lifters in.

We built this place with one function in mind: To get stronger. There a combination of old and new, some sentimental things, some not so sentimental things, heavy and light, but the bottom line is you will have the equipment to get stronger if you train here and work hard. Thats all we want.

vdizenzo
12-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Sweet setup.

MarcusWild
12-01-2009, 05:43 PM
That looks great. Nice work!

lil' power
12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks Travis and Lones. Its not 100% finished, but its far enough along, we can start working on getting a few more lifters in.

We built this place with one function in mind: To get stronger. There a combination of old and new, some sentimental things, some not so sentimental things, heavy and light, but the bottom line is you will have the equipment to get stronger if you train here and work hard. Thats all we want.

I'm there Jack, as soon as this house sells. I'll be there to help you with GPP too! So don't burn it down with all that kerosene (sp?) tonight. You, Amy, Hoo and that gym are what's this move a little easier for me to stomach.

mastermonster
12-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Congrats on getting it up and running! I hope it's a huge success. I hope you guys come on up to the APF/AAPF Alabama in March! I'll be posting a similar thread soon for the opening of 'Monster Barbell'! I'm happy for you guys and I can't wait to get ours up and running in the next few weeks!

P.S. Looking good for powerlifting in Alabama!

Cmanuel
12-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Man Im jealous! Can't wait to start up something similar in a few years. Is this in your garage or in a special building on your property?

A question for all of you guys who run dream gyms out of garages and have a lot of guys training... Is there any legal risks associated with that? Just wondering since its not exactly a commercial operation.

MarcusWild
12-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Man Im jealous! Can't wait to start up something similar in a few years. Is this in your garage or in a special building on your property?

A question for all of you guys who run dream gyms out of garages and have a lot of guys training... Is there any legal risks associated with that? Just wondering since its not exactly a commercial operation.

Yes! The risk depends on your state, if it's at your home, if you rent a space for it, if it's free, if you charge people, etc.

JK1
12-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Heres the other pictures:

The left side of the gym again with the floor and everything done:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Vet1/th_leftsideofgym.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Vet1/?action=view&current=leftsideofgym.jpg)

The gym from right in front of the monolift:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Vet1/th_gymfromthemonolift.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Vet1/?action=view&current=gymfromthemonolift.jpg)

and the old rack: I've had this thing since I was 18. Its old, I've tried to break it, I haven't yet. I can't have a gym without that old thing. It reminds me where I've come from and lets face it, it still works.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Vet1/th_oldrackandplatform.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/Vet1/?action=view&current=oldrackandplatform.jpg)

JK1
12-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Yes! The risk depends on your state, if it's at your home, if you rent a space for it, if it's free, if you charge people, etc.

Yup, I talked with the insurance agent again today. There is an inherent risk associated with weight lifting that is understood by all participants, but that will not protect you completely, especially depending on the lawyers involved. The wrong accident, a lawsuit happy lawyer, and you may not lose the court battle, but you will have months and months of headaches and time lost. Its just not worth it.

Right now, this is something that is a small group of friends... I derive no income from it and I'm not doing this as a means of making money. Its part of the house I currently rent, so renters insurance is also involved. I want a good place to train and I'm willing to share with other powerlifters/friends/etc. If it gets bigger, goals change to making this a moneymaking venture, or I have other reason to have concern, I will take steps to make sure that i've got everything covered.

JK1
12-01-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm there Jack, as soon as this house sells. I'll be there to help you with GPP too! So don't burn it down with all that kerosene (sp?) tonight. You, Amy, Hoo and that gym are what's this move a little easier for me to stomach.

Vikki, the doors are open, bring your family. We gonna have some fun once you get down here....

And thanks Marcus, Vincent, and Buddy. Like I've been saying, if you all are traveling through my part of Alabama and need a place to train, get in touch with me.

Thanks too to the people who have given me advice and information via the forums, facebook, and email. Your thoughts have really helped me make some decisions I'm very happy with so far.

JK1
12-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Congrats on getting it up and running! I hope it's a huge success. I hope you guys come on up to the APF/AAPF Alabama in March! I'll be posting a similar thread soon for the opening of 'Monster Barbell'! I'm happy for you guys and I can't wait to get ours up and running in the next few weeks!

P.S. Looking good for powerlifting in Alabama!I don't know, it depends on our schedules. I've got to get my stupid neck/trap healed up before I do another meet. Its steadily getting better, so right now the next goal is June or so of next year. I'd like to see Amy do something in the late spring, but she doesn't have a work schedule for the first half of the year yet.

If nothing else, as long as it doesn't conflict with work, we have already talked about coming up to watch.

mastermonster
12-02-2009, 10:51 PM
I don't know, it depends on our schedules. I've got to get my stupid neck/trap healed up before I do another meet. Its steadily getting better, so right now the next goal is June or so of next year. I'd like to see Amy do something in the late spring, but she doesn't have a work schedule for the first half of the year yet.

If nothing else, as long as it doesn't conflict with work, we have already talked about coming up to watch.

Great! Look forward to seeing you either way. Good luck with the neck!

JK1
12-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Son-of-a...

Found out tonight my training partner has been offered a job out of state and will be leaving next week after he graduates. This means we are now officially seriously looking for lifters. If you live in or around Auburn Alabama and are looking for a place to train or if you need a change of pace, get in touch with me. I don't really care what your goals are: powerlifting, strongman, bodybuilding, whatever, and I don't care if you are male or female, as long as you are reliable.

Thanks.

Beverly McD.
12-11-2009, 06:24 AM
First of all congratulations on a good looking gym JK1.

When Mike and I first started with our home gym several years ago we had the same concern, good, reliable training partners.
"Build it and they will come" LOL. It took a while but we have a great crew at our place now. In the beginning it was a couple of newbies that had to be coached from scratch, but it payed off. No doubt it was a blow to find out your partner was leaving, but somebody else will take his place, and then they will know somebody looking to lift etc.
Powerlifting meets are a good place to get the word out that you're looking for partners BTW.

ThomasG
12-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Ummmm, where's the smith machine, bosu balls, machines, and pink dumbells?!?!

Nice gym I wish I could train there instead of gay ass golds gym.

JK1
12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Ummmm, where's the smith machine, bosu balls, machines, and pink dumbells?!?!

Nice gym I wish I could train there instead of gay ass golds gym.
Thanks. Now we need another lifter or two.

And to answer your questions, bosu balls suck for weight training. There is a smith machine thats in pieces along the outside wall. I'm trying to sell it. Its in excellent condition if you are interested, please send me a PM. And personally, pink dumbells are fine with me. 150 lbs is 150 lbs. I don't care if they are pink, black, or neon green, as long as they weigh 150 lbs. ;)

JK1
12-11-2009, 11:17 AM
First of all congratulations on a good looking gym JK1.

When Mike and I first started with our home gym several years ago we had the same concern, good, reliable training partners.
"Build it and they will come" LOL. It took a while but we have a great crew at our place now. In the beginning it was a couple of newbies that had to be coached from scratch, but it payed off. No doubt it was a blow to find out your partner was leaving, but somebody else will take his place, and then they will know somebody looking to lift etc.
Powerlifting meets are a good place to get the word out that you're looking for partners BTW.

I love living where I live, but for the area, there sure aren't alot of powerlifters that I've been able to find so far.

I don't mind coaching someone from scratch and honestly, I don't care if someone is more "fitness" or bodybuilding oriented as long as they want to get stronger and are reliable. At this point, I need a person who can deadlift enough to be able to handoff to me when I bench heavy(either that or my wife is going to see a rapid increase in her deadlift lockout abilities) and I need a person to help work the monolift and a person who's focused and goal oriented enough to push the other lifters. If someone wants to do the bodybuilding thing, thats fine by me, just don't ask me how to bring up your outer lateral, upside down pec muscles, I have no idea. But I can help you get stronger. Heck, if I have too, I'll even hang a mirror and put a scale out in the barn for them to use.

Travis Bell
12-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Best piece of advice for recruiting, scope out the local commercial gyms.

Go ahead and get some day passes at various times and find guys in there who appear to be either powerlifters, or just fit the mold of what you're looking for. Strike up conversation, let them know you have a facility (have some pics on your phone if you can) and you're looking for more people etc.

Gotta be active about recruiting, especially with a private facility, otherwise nobody knows you're there.

That's what I did and in no time I had a super good group for when I'm not at Westside.

DGabe24
12-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Sick setup man...doesn't get any better than that.

MarcusWild
12-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Are you registered as a powerlifting gym on powerlifting watch? That's free. It's also free to make a myspace, facebook, and youtube. A website isn't free, but people google everything now. A website let's them find you when they do google. Marketing is a completely different idea, and I don't think most private gyms do it very well.

Most people find us through powerlifting watch, google, or online forums where our members post.

jp2
12-11-2009, 01:08 PM
That looks amazing, only thing missing is a loud ass stereo/speakers

JK1
12-11-2009, 02:14 PM
That looks amazing, only thing missing is a loud ass stereo/speakers

Those are there, just not pictured.... Ozzy and Metallica are a necessity.

JK1
12-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Are you registered as a powerlifting gym on powerlifting watch? That's free. It's also free to make a myspace, facebook, and youtube. A website isn't free, but people google everything now. A website let's them find you when they do google. Marketing is a completely different idea, and I don't think most private gyms do it very well.

Most people find us through powerlifting watch, google, or online forums where our members post.

Marcus, I haven't thought about Powerliftingwatch, but thats a great idea.

I have been posting on the forums I frequent. I was thinking about the website thing today.

JJ33
12-11-2009, 03:50 PM
I wish you were closer.I would be in for sure.

MarcusWild
12-11-2009, 04:32 PM
The website works. You can register with search engines to have them crawl your site. I signed up with godaddy.com to host. That gave me free advertising on google and facebook. You can get pretty specific in terms who sees your ad too. I was able to specify only people within a certain radius of the gym's zip code. Once you have bought google ads, then you seem to rank higher in future searches.

JK1
12-12-2009, 08:30 AM
The website works. You can register with search engines to have them crawl your site. I signed up with godaddy.com to host. That gave me free advertising on google and facebook. You can get pretty specific in terms who sees your ad too. I was able to specify only people within a certain radius of the gym's zip code. Once you have bought google ads, then you seem to rank higher in future searches.

I'm looking into the website thing. I'm guessing its a safe bet that even with advertising, around here, I probably won't be overrun with people wanting to bench more, but you never know.

Thanks again for all of your information and help with my questions. I really appreciate it.

DMedley
12-12-2009, 09:19 AM
JK, sure not an expert on this topic, but was thinking.

Creating a blog about yourself, your training and your gym could get people to discover you also. Taking a page out of Marcus's book, include video's that are hosted on youtube. Youtube video's is how I found out about Wild Iron Gym.

jp2
12-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Those are there, just not pictured.... Ozzy and Metallica are a necessity.

good stuff....

ACaslow
12-12-2009, 03:37 PM
that's awesome. Kick ass set up man.
Good luck with finding partners.

JK1
12-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks Al.

The Mastodon bar came yesterday. If I bend that one, I'm going to get seriously pissed off.

JK1
12-12-2009, 04:34 PM
JK, sure not an expert on this topic, but was thinking.

Creating a blog about yourself, your training and your gym could get people to discover you also. Taking a page out of Marcus's book, include video's that are hosted on youtube. Youtube video's is how I found out about Wild Iron Gym.

I thought about that, then decided against it for a couple of reasons:
1) I don't consider myself that inspirational. I do what I do and if you don't like it, leave me alone.... I'm not an ELITE level lifter yet, so to me I'm just another fat guy who lifts heavy things.

2) I also need to somewhat govern/limit my online exposure because of work and other things associated with my job. I don't need videos of my wife screaming at me that I'm a "F'n Pussy" as I turn beat red lifting several hundred lbs. I had a hard enough time trying to explain to coworkers who saw videos tagged on Facebook exactly why my wife looked like she was beating the crap out of me prior to attempts at my last 2 meets. I do have a full time job and that job has supervisors who don't understand powerlifting. I try very hard to limit the online videos of myself because of that.

DMedley
12-12-2009, 07:09 PM
I thought about that, then decided against it for a couple of reasons:
1) I don't consider myself that inspirational. I do what I do and if you don't like it, leave me alone.... I'm not an ELITE level lifter yet, so to me I'm just another fat guy who lifts heavy things.

2) I also need to somewhat govern/limit my online exposure because of work and other things associated with my job. I don't need videos of my wife screaming at me that I'm a "F'n Pussy" as I turn beat red lifting several hundred lbs. I had a hard enough time trying to explain to coworkers who saw videos tagged on Facebook exactly why my wife looked like she was beating the crap out of me prior to attempts at my last 2 meets. I do have a full time job and that job has supervisors who don't understand powerlifting. I try very hard to limit the online videos of myself because of that.

:eek: I can understand that. If it was me, I would put my wife in the video, get a lot more hits than this fat guy would get, that's for sure.

Wish I lived a little closer, I would sure take you up on your offer, but its a little too far to drive from Cali. :evillaugh: