PDA

View Full Version : amount of protein

liquidmonkey
12-02-2009, 03:02 PM
just curious how much protein i should have in one small meal?
i generally have a can of tuna after a workout which has 30g of protein so is it worth it to have a shake as well or will that 'extra' protein be waisted?

i'm sure there are limits but just curious what the average limits would be?

Mercuryblade
12-02-2009, 03:06 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131267&highlight=protein

Read the thread.

Tom Mutaffis
12-02-2009, 03:45 PM
A good rule of thumb is about (1) gram per pound of bodyweight daily for most people. If your bodyfat percentage is over 15% then you can drop that number down to be closer to your amount of lean body mass rather than total bodyweight.

If you have protein shakes then I would drink a shake immediately after training and eat the can of tuna 60-90 minutes PWO (along with some carbohydrates).

David Trantham
12-02-2009, 07:19 PM
i agree 1 to 1.5 grams per body weight. also i think a post workout shake is a must with about 50 grams of protein and about 30 49 grams of carbs. creatine etc,. then approx 1 - 1.5 hours later eat a normal meal with protein and good comples carb

Daniel Roberts
12-03-2009, 04:06 AM
One other thing to note OP is that your post suggests that you think your post-workout meal/shake exists in a vacuum and doesn't contribute to your daily intake.

I agree with the recommendations in the other posts but you need to consider how the post-workout meal fits into your day to determine whether you're getting too little or too much protein.

One other thing, your protein won't be 'wasted' if by chance you eat too much, it'll simply be converted to energy (either used if needed or stored as fat if not).