PDA

View Full Version : General nutrition, lose weight while gaining muscle

Astreocclu
12-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey guys, im sixteen and im in my junior year of high school. I work out 4 days a week on ws4sb and i weigh 245 pounds at 5.11. Needless to say im a bit over weight. Anyway i always hear joe defranco talk about relative body strength, and that excess fat is useless(im trying to increase my football ability for my grade 12 year) . I also have an intense desire to get a six pack by next summer

Anyway like i was saying, i want to lose weight and gain muscle, but another thing to take note of is that my dad and all 4 of my grand parents have diabetes. Needless to say i want to stay healthy as long as i can, so im cutting out all high gylcemic carbs except after i work out. Just wondering, if i am trying to gain muscle and lose weight what do you suggest i should eat in terms of total calories, and % (or grams ) of fat protein and carbs. Im thinking 200 grams of protein+1-2 serving of fruit and vegetable per meal (thinking 5-6 meals a day). Ive heard about fitday and i now have an account there, going to start calorie counting. Any suggestions?

ImAStripper
12-02-2009, 05:40 PM
ok, I will add whatever input I am confident with, and others will answer what I dont.

first of all, you want to lose fat and gain muscle and you have a desire for a 6 pack. realize that to gain muscle and lose fat requires a very long process of a slow cut. you would have to first of all find your maintenance calorie level, then eat 300-500 calories less than that. Lift heavy. combine the heavy lifting and a calorie deficit and you will gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. with your weight, and assume you get a proper diet, it may take a long time for you to get what you desire.

Astreocclu
12-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Would it be quicker to go on a bulk then cut for the start of summer and once im in good shape go on a more balanced plan? and how about the protein 40(around 200 grams or less?)%? will it be plausiable with my limited resources to even get a six pack by the summer? i was hoping 6-7 months of hard work would get me that, but just being semi close would be enough for me

ImAStripper
12-02-2009, 06:21 PM
I wouldnt bulk if I were you, though I havent seen any pictures so I cant even start to guess where your bodyfat is at. But, if youre 5'11' 245 and 16 years old, I can only imagine. If I were you, I would cut. Go into a calorie deficit and get your diet bulletproof, and lift heavy. Stay dedicated and at you could expect a 1-2 lb loss per week.

some people say protein is 1g per lb bodyweight, and others say 1g per desired bodyweight. again, depending on your bodyfat, you can figure that one out.

and if you truly do things the right way, I think you will be happy with whatever your body looks like in 6-7 months.

Astreocclu
12-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Question offtopic about diet but i was just wondering if 1. i should make a a journal and 2. if lifting heavy is enough (should i do hiit)

machaf
12-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Check out this article... If you don't want to bulk or cut. Keep in mind this article will be a very slow process.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/

A few exceptions apply to this but 95% of the time:
If you want to build muscle you need excess calories.
If you want to lose weight you need deficit in calories.

You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Your body requires excess calories to build and repair muscle.

Without seeing pictures of you, I would guess at 5'11" 245lbs you have a high percentage of body fat (educated guess). Too see abs you would probably have to cut down to 160 lbs (guesstimate).

Lyle McDonald has some very good info on his website www.bodyrecomposition.com

VikingWarlord
12-02-2009, 08:01 PM
You should probably read more before asking more questions.

cphafner
12-02-2009, 08:11 PM
You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Your body requires excess calories to build and repair muscle.

wrong. You can but it takes a lot of dedicated dieting.

Invain
12-02-2009, 11:20 PM

You can actually. It's not easy for most people, but with a strict, healthy diet it's not impossible like some would have you believe.

I really don't know if I've actually added much new mass, but I've definitely retained almost all my mass and I've lost 35+ pounds so far. I've even been gaining fairly well on some of my list recently.

machaf
12-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Did both of you not read what I said?

"A few exceptions apply to this but 95% of the time:"

VikingWarlord
12-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Where did you get your 95% figure from? Recomping is the process of doing both. It takes a long, long time but it's very possible for most people to do it with enough patience and dedication.

Isaac Wilkins
12-04-2009, 05:15 PM
To the OP:

Recompositioning is certainly possible, especially at age 16. It isn't an overnight process, though.

Step 1: If you're already worried about body fat, and as a 5'11", 245 lb 16 year-old you're probably carrying a fair amount, then don't worry about bulking. Joe D is right in that extra fat doesn't do much, especially at your level of football, to make you a better athlete.

Step 2: Clean up your diet. It sounds like you're on the way there. You don't have to be totally OCD, but keep your body fueled with good quality food.

Step 3: Start logging the FitDay and a journal here. Small steps, but the more you can learn about YOUR body and how you respond to stimulus the better off you'll be..

Step 4: Train hard, train heavy, and learn how to train smart.

Here's the nutshell: Train like hell, eat good food, log everything (diet, training, measurements, progress), and seek out more information from people who know what they're doing and reputable sources. See what changes come about. Most teenagers will drop fat and gain muscle pretty well by clearing the junk out of their diet and training hard. See where that takes you and don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

machaf
12-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Where did you get your 95% figure from? Recomping is the process of doing both. It takes a long, long time but it's very possible for most people to do it with enough patience and dedication.

Came from 95% of people will do something stupid

"Using target bodyweight ONLY work if people aren't stupid about where they pick their target. IME, this doesn't describe many people.

Someone who is 300 lbs will say that their goal weight is 150 and do something stupid.

Some guy who is 150 will decide he should be 250 and do something stupid.

Using goal weight ONLY works IF you use reasonable goals like 10% over current or 10% below current"

lylyna125
12-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Iím 5 ft. flat, 133lbs, 20 years old. Iím not way overweight, but I do have more chub than I did a couple years ago. For me.. it wasnít freshman 15, it was freshman 25! I am not very athletic and I never take the time to workout. I donít eat very healthy either. I really want to get motivated to get into a healthier lifestyle. Iím afraid that if I continue at this rate Iíll keep gaining weight. I avoid going on dates with guys because I am embarrased to tell them I have stretch marks and that Iím very self conscious. I donít like going to the gym because I hate when people look at me working out. Like I donít know what Iím doing and I just feel like an idiot. How do I avoid cravings??

Cmanuel
12-31-2009, 08:42 AM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html#more-2926

Lyle explains the concept of adding muscle while simultaneously losing fat in this article. Open shut case.

Skalami
12-31-2009, 06:20 PM
if i wanted to try to gain as much fat as i could while putting on as little muscle as possible (or possibly losing some) how would i go about this?

aormz
01-02-2010, 03:04 AM
if i wanted to try to gain as much fat as i could while putting on as little muscle as possible (or possibly losing some) how would i go about this?

Ok, this requires much dedication and perseverance. Basically a schedule of this would be sufficient

8:00 a gallon of ice cream
8:30 nap
10:00 mcdonalds breakfast + 4 hash browns and hot cakes
10:30 nap
12:00 Hot n Ready pizza to your self
12:30 nap
2:00 Weight gainer + more hagandaz
2:30 Nap
4:00 Burger King double whopper with cheese king sized with a diet pop (diet pop b/c you are getting too fat)
6:00 15 cheesesticks in a gravy soup
6:30 nap
8:00 a 2 liter of cola
10:00 Wendys triple with Cheese + biggie fries and a large frosty
10:30 sleep time

good luck, the sleeping and not really moving around with really aid with your target goals.

Off Road
01-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Why would you want to do that?

martyl2
01-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I myself am trying to lose a bit of body fat while gaining muscle.

Am green magnitude creatine and whey protein as my supplements.

Is it true that cutting out carbs after 6pm will help in losing body fat?

VikingWarlord
01-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Is it true that cutting out carbs after 6pm will help in losing body fat?

Your digestive system has no idea what time it is. These kinds of guidelines are nonsense.

soclydeza
01-04-2010, 06:23 AM
Anyway like i was saying, i want to lose weight and gain muscle

if you wanna gain any kind of weight, muscle or fat, you gotta eat more. if you wanna lose fat, you gotta burn more than the calories you take in. its possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time but kinda tough since you gotta calibrate your diet so all the cals you take in will go to your muscles with barely anything left over to cause excess fat. as long as you tweak your diet properly you can do it.

Skalami
01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Ok, this requires much dedication and perseverance. Basically a schedule of this would be sufficient

8:00 a gallon of ice cream
10:00 mcdonalds breakfast + 4 hash browns and hot cakes
10:30 nap
12:00 Hot n Ready pizza to your self
12:30 nap
2:00 Weight gainer + more hagandaz
2:30 Nap
4:00 Burger King double whopper with cheese king sized with a diet pop (diet pop b/c you are getting too fat)
6:00 15 cheesesticks in a gravy soup
6:30 nap
8:00 a 2 liter of cola
10:00 Wendys triple with Cheese + biggie fries and a large frosty
10:30 sleep time

good luck, the sleeping and not really moving around with really aid with your target goals.

listen buddy i want to LOSE muscle, that will at least add a little muscle to my body while im gaining a ton of fat.

Astreocclu
01-06-2010, 07:17 PM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html#more-2926

Lyle explains the concept of adding muscle while simultaneously losing fat in this article. Open shut case.

Thanks for that, was actually a great read, and sincei consider myself an overfat beginner, i will do that for awhile more