PDA

View Full Version : Weight of chains

Fuzzy
12-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Yes, I know you are all thinking 'wtf is some punk ass Oly kid doing with chains.' But I decided to add them to my squats seeing as they would help with my gay ass sticking point.

Right now, my chains add about 16kgm so 35lbs. I havent done a huge amount of training with them just yet but so far it feels like it could be a bit heavier.
/
Any thoughts? And whats the standard protocol for most lifters

joey54
12-03-2009, 08:23 PM
From an article on Elite by Dave Tate regarding box squatting cycles.

Recommended Chains for Squatting
Squat Max 200-400 Pounds = 60 pound chain
Squat Max 400-500 Pounds = 80 pound chain
Squat Max 500-600 Pounds = 100 pound chain
Squat Max 700-800 Pounds = 120 pound chain
Squat Max 800-900 Pounds = 160 pound chain

ThomasG
12-03-2009, 08:31 PM
What the hell you punk ass oly lifter leave the chains to the real lifters.

Just messing with you fuzzy. Chains are amazing and are used by much more than just power lifters.

Great post Joey!

Fuzzy
12-03-2009, 09:10 PM
From an article on Elite by Dave Tate regarding box squatting cycles.

Recommended Chains for Squatting
Squat Max 200-400 Pounds = 60 pound chain
Squat Max 400-500 Pounds = 80 pound chain
Squat Max 500-600 Pounds = 100 pound chain
Squat Max 700-800 Pounds = 120 pound chain
Squat Max 800-900 Pounds = 160 pound chain

Oh damn, I gotta go get alot more chains then don't I?

Dingus
12-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Oh damn, I gotta go get alot more chains then don't I?

Yup.

AdamBAG
12-04-2009, 07:53 AM
The reason you need more chain is that in most cases only half of the chains are going to leave the ground. This is so they don't start swinging a lot. So if you had 120 pounds of chain attached then you'd be adding about 60 pounds to the top and a total deload at the bottom. You can have them deload less, but then it's pretty much the same as having more bar weight because the chains aren't deloading at the bottom.

I know there are guys that let the chains swing (specifically Hoss Cartwright and Mark Bell), but those guys are pro level lifters and are doing it for a specific reason. If you've never used chains before then I would suggest setting them up like Dave Tate says in most of his videos/writing, where half the chain is on the ground when the bar is racked.

Sensei
12-04-2009, 05:21 PM
If you've never used chains before then I would suggest setting them up like Dave Tate says in most of his videos/writing, where half the chain is on the ground when the bar is racked.IMO, if you have one or two links on the ground at the top, it shouldn't get to swinging that much.

Fuzzy,
I don't know that you really have to go crazy with the chain weight unless you want to. Those recommended chain weights are probably for DE workouts. Relatively heavy bar weight + a little chain is great too.

joey54
12-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Good point Sensei.

Fuzzy
12-04-2009, 09:04 PM
The reason you need more chain is that in most cases only half of the chains are going to leave the ground. This is so they don't start swinging a lot. So if you had 120 pounds of chain attached then you'd be adding about 60 pounds to the top and a total deload at the bottom. You can have them deload less, but then it's pretty much the same as having more bar weight because the chains aren't deloading at the bottom.

I know there are guys that let the chains swing (specifically Hoss Cartwright and Mark Bell), but those guys are pro level lifters and are doing it for a specific reason. If you've never used chains before then I would suggest setting them up like Dave Tate says in most of his videos/writing, where half the chain is on the ground when the bar is racked.

I have 3-4 links still on the ground, its completely deloaded at the bottom and up at the top, I measured the chain lengths for myself personally. So there is little to no swinging of the chains.

IMO, if you have one or two links on the ground at the top, it shouldn't get to swinging that much.

Fuzzy,
I don't know that you really have to go crazy with the chain weight unless you want to. Those recommended chain weights are probably for DE workouts. Relatively heavy bar weight + a little chain is great too.

Thanks for that Sensei. I agree that a few link is ok, chains are tooe xpensive to have half of the chain sitting on the ground doing nothing. Ill be hitting up another leg strength cycle soon which should hopefully see me crack a 6 pps squat, and from past experience I think chains and bands will be crucial to getting those sticking points stronger. I have no doubt the feedback to the main lifts will be noticeable.

cpa5oh
12-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Is elitefts still the best place to buy more chain (ie., not needing the whole setup, just more 5/8 or 3/4" chain)?

Fuzzy
12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Is elitefts still the best place to buy more chain (ie., not needing the whole setup, just more 5/8 or 3/4" chain)?

Why would you buy chains from elitefts? It's so easy and relatively cheap to just make your own.

JSully
12-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Why would you buy chains from elitefts? It's so easy and relatively cheap to just make your own.

where do you get 5/8" chain for cheap?

Fuzzy
12-07-2009, 04:31 PM
where do you get 5/8" chain for cheap?

If a little city like Adelaide Australia has industrial centres that sell 3/8 and 5/8 cahins for cheap then i have no doubt the US does to.

JSully
12-07-2009, 04:42 PM
3/8" chains = cheap
5/8" chains = not cheap

Best I can find is $8/ft...

For about 130lbs worth of chains it would take about 30 feet, rounding out at $240.. not exactly cheap