PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift question

BigTallOx
12-04-2009, 10:57 AM
When I first started deadlifting, I pulled conventional. Shortly after that, I found I could pull more weight with what I call my semi-sumo stance ( ie a narrow sumo ), so I switched. But now I've been playing around with pulling conventional, but since I've gained about 85 pounds since I switched to semi sumo, it feels completely different than before. My gut gets in the way a little so point my knees out a little, but that makes it hard to get my arms around my legs and grab the bar, so I end up going with a wider grip. It actually feels pretty good, I feel like I've got power pulling like this, but I haven't tested a 1 rep max like this yet. I guess I wanted to see what people thought about pulling like this, here's a video from last night with light weight and double overhand grip ( I wear a loose squat suit while pulling even with light weight because it keeps my hips from aching ).

U7ef8bDOmSU

MarcusWild
12-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Your grip is really wide. Your hands should be right next to your legs and touching them at lockout. You're going to put a lot more strain on your upper back that way. It's going to be difficult to lockout. You need to find a way to get your knees closer or stick with sumo.

BigTallOx
12-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Your grip is really wide. Your hands should be right next to your legs and touching them at lockout. You're going to put a lot more strain on your upper back that way. It's going to be difficult to lockout. You need to find a way to get your knees closer or stick with sumo.

That's what I thought. Some of my strongman friends pull close to this though, but then again they can hitch at the top to lock out. Thanks for your reply.

Beverly McD.
12-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi BTO.
Generally, sumo or conventional, you want your arms close to straight up and down, from the shoulder to the bar. It may vary a few degrees, due to injury or flexibility problems, but not much.
Sumo, try to have the arms drag up the inside of the thigh as you lift off the floor.
Conventional, try to drive the knees out to drag up the inside of the arms as you lift off the floor.
This is not a hard and fast rule but its typically the strongest position for the majority of lifters.

BigTallOx
12-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Sumo, try to have the arms drag up the inside of the thigh as you lift off the floor.
Conventional, try to drive the knees out to drag up the inside of the arms as you lift off the floor.

I guess I should stick to sumo, because my gut gets in the way conventional. I find it fun experimenting like this though, although I guess it's not really all that useful.

SEOINAGE
12-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I guess I should stick to sumo, because my gut gets in the way conventional. I find it fun experimenting like this though, although I guess it's not really all that useful.

My gut gets in the way on conventional too, but I still prefer it, just makes it more difficult, even then I still pull more weight conventional. The addition of some food makes things a pain though.

Beverly McD.
12-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Nothing wrong with looking for what works best for you BTO. You're so tall the "normal" stuff may not work for you :eek: LOL.
Sumo is usually better for tall guys because it shortens the pull. As tall as you are I would suggest going so wide your toes are grazing the plates. Instead of curving your body forward to grab the bar, cuve it back. Head up and chest out and high.

BigTallOx
12-04-2009, 01:43 PM
I would suggest going so wide your toes are grazing the plates.

I'm still working on that. It's going to take some time.

Beverly McD.
12-04-2009, 01:52 PM
You're stronger than your numbers are showing. Once you get technique right you're going to amaze yourself.

BigTallOx
12-04-2009, 02:36 PM
You're stronger than your numbers are showing. Once you get technique right you're going to amaze yourself.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

MarcusWild
12-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Don't rule out conventional variants as a trying tool to get you stronger. It's just to deadlift your best 1RM in a meet, your best bet is sumo. I deadlift conventional, but I still use sumo variants in training.

BigTallOx
12-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Don't rule out conventional variants as a trying tool to get you stronger. It's just to deadlift your best 1RM in a meet, your best bet is sumo. I deadlift conventional, but I still use sumo variants in training.

I won't. I plan on continuing to play around with conventional, but I'll go back to my semi-sumo in competition (probably) for sure.

joey54
12-05-2009, 03:11 PM
If you want to do conventional, do exactly what you are doing, but bring your feet closer together. This will allow you to get your arms in the right position.

BigTallOx
12-05-2009, 08:17 PM
If you want to do conventional, do exactly what you are doing, but bring your feet closer together. This will allow you to get your arms in the right position.

OK Thanks

Rugby Dad
12-05-2009, 08:37 PM
next time set your vid camera so we can see your profile or from an angle other than straight on.

also, that weight is so light/easy for you that your form doesn't even get a chance to come into play. To critique form and and see where it may need tweaking you got to use a weight that's moderately hard for you.

Detard
12-05-2009, 10:06 PM
You might find success using an 8 foot bar aswell. Not sure if your using that already or not, but it will allow you to go wider with sumo, which may help you out since your so tall.