PDA

View Full Version : How to roast chicken ?

Narinder
04-29-2002, 03:32 PM
Does anyone know how to roast chicken in the oven ? Everytime I make it, it comes out hard and crispy and it doesn't taste that nice.

Tryska
04-29-2002, 03:51 PM
seasoning wise or cooking wise?

Tryska
04-29-2002, 03:52 PM
for a 3-4 lb chicken, 375degrees, for 1-1.5 hours uncovered.

Narinder
04-29-2002, 03:58 PM
well I just get some chopped chicken from the butchers and chuck it in the oven.

Don't I have add some oil on to it, when I make it becomes really dry?

Tryska
04-29-2002, 04:00 PM
i would think you've got it in the oven too long, and at too high a temp.

it sould be cooked at about 185degrees,F on a meat thermometer. And yeah you can rub it down with some oil. not a whole lot, but jsut enough so that the skin becomes crispy.

body
04-29-2002, 04:12 PM
i take you defrost it first, if frozen?

you can alway give it a good in the microwave to help cook it before putting it in the oven.

i roast a 1.6kg chicken for about 1 hour 30 minutes on 180 centigrade. may be a bit less if i am hungry.
as your british you will know the metric system as my oven does not have farihieght on it.

MarshallPenn
04-29-2002, 04:17 PM
Rub it down with oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stick a half of a lemon inside, maybe a bay leaf or two.

Narinder
04-29-2002, 04:19 PM
YEH! I place it in the microwave to deforst, then chuck it in the oven. Thanx ppl! I will get it a try 2morrow :)

yummy! :p

Allie
04-29-2002, 04:23 PM
LMAO

Sorry but I'm not sure if it's because my bain is in finals mode, but I throughly got a kick out of this post.

1. LOL for asking if it had to be thawed, yes it does, you don't try to cook your Thanksgiving turkey frozen, so I wouldn't suggest doing it to a regular chicken.

2. LOL at a 1.6 kg chicken and cooking it in celcius. I'm sorry but my CEM final is Wed morning and I have been doing practice problems all week, so I just find it humorous doing conversions.

Like I said it's finals week so I PERSONALLY got a kick out of this post. I would follow what T said about rubbing some oil on to keep it moist you can also sprinle on some seasonings and even rub them on the inside. Cover the pan with some aluminium foil to it won't get to fry or kripy and take it off near the end so the outside will brown a little. And I agree about using a meat thermometer, it's the only way you know for sure that your food is cooked to a safe temp.

IceRgrrl
04-29-2002, 04:29 PM
I usually roast chicken or turkey in a covered roaster and put a little water or broth in the bottom of the roaster. The cover holds in the steam and keeps it moist. Near the end of the cooking time you can remove the cover and brown/crisp up the skin a little. You can even turn on the broiler to speed up the browning/crisping process.

Narinder
04-29-2002, 04:33 PM
ok ppl take it easy, y'all are confusing me?

Narinder
04-29-2002, 04:42 PM
I know what temperature to use to cook the chicken, but don't know how long to cook it for and what about turning it over?

IceRgrrl
04-29-2002, 04:45 PM
350 degrees F or so...and how long depends on how big the chicken/turkey is. There are usually cooking time guidelines by weight on the label of the bird.

I can't tell you for sure...I just know when it's done.

Tryska
04-29-2002, 04:46 PM
well, try this, since i'm not sure how many parts you have.....

cook it for 30 minutes, then flip it, this will give you time to gage cooking time, then check it in another 30 minutes (by now it should almost be done) at that point, put a fork in a piece. kind of deep. if the juices run clear, then just go for another 15 minutes, if they run cloudy, bloody, or pink, go for another 30 minutes, and poke it again.

Narinder
04-29-2002, 04:46 PM
But, it's not a whole chicken it is chopped into many pieces?

Tryska
04-29-2002, 04:48 PM
use the biggest piece as your gauge. i'm guessing that will be one of the breast pieces. pierce it down to near the bone.

Unclepenn1
04-29-2002, 07:55 PM
Buy yourself a 'George Foreman cooker'. I promise you, you will never regret it! I cook my chicken in less than 10 minutes and it's a snap to clean. SO EASY!! I make chicken like 4 nights a week, so who wants to hassle with ovens, ya know?

Penn

the doc
04-29-2002, 10:25 PM
i've never flipped my chicken ?
:scratch: