PDA

View Full Version : Torn callus treatment

Cmanuel
12-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Just wondering if you guys have any tricks for helping torn calluses heal faster. I tore one yesterday doing a little bouldering at a rock gym and I have a meet tomorrow. Doh!
Thanks in advance

isaku900
12-05-2009, 03:41 PM
put some super glue on it.

Cmanuel
12-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Cool ill buy some and keep it in my gym bag. Next time I won't be so stupid and take a real break before a meet lol.
I think ill be good for deadlifts. Its not a big callus and its on my palm. If it was in the middle of my finger iit would be a different situation

Pete22
12-05-2009, 06:08 PM
put some super glue on it.

This, and file down the rest of them before the meet. I tear callouses all the time and it sucks.

mastermonster
12-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I've seen guys get thru meets with the super glue trick.

JK1
12-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Super glue is the "poor mans" surgical glue. Its cyanoacrylate, basically the same things a surgical glue used in both veterinary and human medicine (well not technically, superglue is ethyl-cyanoacrylate and n-buty cyanocrylate and someotherIcantrememberthenameofit-cyanoacrylate is surgical glue). Basically the "super glue" is a little more brittle than true surgical glue and it produces more heat when its "curing", so don't put it anyplace you can possibly be burned--ie your eye.

If you can, take a razor blade and trim the callous edges so they are relatively smoothe, then wash and dry your hands well. Then apply the superglue. once its fully dried, take a soft pumis stone and gently grind down the callous around the edges to make it smooth, then reapply the super glue. That holds pretty well for the most part, although if the superglue starts to crack or you get chalk under it, it will peel off.

Alternately you can use the product Newskin. You can get it at Walmart. Its a polymer, breathable sealant thats a bit more flexible than superglue is. You don't have to pumis Newskin, but can pain different layers on it. It will dry much smoother than superglue. It may or may not work better depending on the size of your callous tear.

Also, if you can, I wouldn't be putting superglue or newskin on in the warmup room. They won't stick worth a crap to skin with any chalk on it. Wash your hands very well and make sure they are fully dried before you apply either one.

Fuzzy
12-06-2009, 03:07 AM
Hopefully this is a lesson to not let calluses build up. keep em shaved, smooth, and moisturised.

Cmanuel
12-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Went with the product Nu Skin. Got through the meet just fine. Pulled 501 very easily and went for broke on deadlift with 551 attempt. Grip failed on the attempt which is what happened when i tried that weight in the gym.

Thanks!

Tom Mutaffis
12-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Epsom salts will help them to heal faster sometimes.

In terms of completing your meet / contest with a torn callus - super glue is definitely the way to go.