PDA

View Full Version : GOMAD Results 16 pounds in 4 weeks

dancehallnative
12-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I made pretty gains in terms of weight via the GOMAD diet. Unfortunately I am so week from my 7 year old surgery I am having to learn the basic all over again before I can even start on Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength.

Below are before and after pictures...My befores of me are covered so it is kinda hard to tell. Again I thank every1 for their support and motivation in making believe it is possible. I also do know I have a long long way to go.

Invain
12-06-2009, 01:40 PM
4 pounds a week is quite a bit, even for a beginner. I'd lower your cals, gaining weight is good but don't focus on the scale alone, you'll only be disappointed in the end when you realize how much fat you've gained.

VikingWarlord
12-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I am having to learn the basic all over again before I can even start on Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength.

What does this even mean? That program is the very definition of basic. 3 lifts, done heavy across two rotating workouts 3 days a week.

This is going to sound mean but it's the straight truth so don't take it personally. Your GOMAD diet was a horrible failure. Sure, you gained weight but you also now look pregnant. Fat doesn't turn into muscle. From where you are now, you'll have to build muscle, then cut the fat.

Notorious
12-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Wait, so you did GOMAD before starting Starting Strength?

jAy_Dub
12-06-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm sorry, I know your new to all of this and everything, but drinking a gallon of milk a day is definitely not working out for you one bit. Drop the milk, clean up your diet, get more protein, and hit the cardio. You've just began digging yourself a hole to fatness, get out before you're in too deep.

LuNa
12-06-2009, 08:40 PM
This is going to sound mean but it's the straight truth so don't take it personally. Your GOMAD diet was a horrible failure. Sure, you gained weight but you also now look pregnant. Fat doesn't turn into muscle. From where you are now, you'll have to build muscle, then cut the fat.

Someone had to say it.

dancehallnative
12-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Thanks for everyone's honesty. In reference to Starting Strength being the very basic, I mean to say, that because of my surgery it has impeded me from doing the basic exercises in Starting Strength. For example I cant really bench because I cant even do one lousy push-up. I also cant do one chin up. BTW this has nothing to do with now weighing 16 pounds more. Also I end up doing romanian deadlifts instead of the standard ones Mark Requires. Things like these have caused me to wait till I am done with my final exams which will be in 2 weeks. Then I plan to seriously hit the gym and work with someone who can really help me get my form down and also learn how to do 3 sets of 15 good forming push-ups.

I think my big mistake was continuing on the GOMAD diet plus the 4 meals even though I wasn't lifting. At least I now know htere is no such thing as a hard gainer. The good thing is, it is easy for me to lose weight therefor I will lay low from the milk, even though I have started to like the taste after never really drinking it all my life, until I have the time to hit the gym. Hopefully I can lose 8 pounds of the 16 by the time I hit the gym in 2.5 weeks.

Any more suggestions are welcomed!

NickAus
12-07-2009, 02:49 AM
Don't freak out too much, milk makes my stomach pop out a little-it should go down pretty quick.

I still would back off a little on the calories and make sure you are training AND recovering well.

You will need to keep moving forward with the weights so just back off a little with the milk but do not quit lifting and start chasing your tail by doing lots of cardio.

Good on you for posting the photo's, it will take a while but you will get there!!

NickAus
12-07-2009, 02:52 AM
BTW push-ups have their place but you need to use heavy barbells first and foremost to get bigger and stronger.

dancehallnative
12-07-2009, 04:24 AM
I mentioned Push-Ups because others have mentioned that, that might be the reason for me not being able to do a bench press.

VikingWarlord
12-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Then others are stupid. You can vary the amount of resistance on a barbell a lot easier than you can your body.

If it's that you lack the ability to perform the movement because of a physical limitation, that's one thing. If it's that you're just not strong enough to do a pushup, then that would be why you're lifting. To get stronger. Do the program as it's written or don't do it at all. Rippetoe knows more than you do.

Off Road
12-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Then others are stupid. You can vary the amount of resistance on a barbell a lot easier than you can your body.It was recomended by some of the guys (not me) for him to do pushups because he's not strong enough to press the bar weight yet.

VikingWarlord
12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Wait. So he can't press the bar, yet people were suggesting he do pushups...which is MORE resistance than an unloaded Olympic barbell. That makes perfect sense.

Dumbbell pressing or a broomstick with resistance bands are two things right off the top of my head that could do the same thing but also have the added benefit of variable resistance.

Off Road
12-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Wait. So he can't press the bar, yet people were suggesting he do pushups...which is MORE resistance than an unloaded Olympic barbell. That makes perfect sense.

Dumbbell pressing or a broomstick with resistance bands are two things right off the top of my head that could do the same thing but also have the added benefit of variable resistance.
I agree with you. I think that dumbbells would be a great way to go.

NickAus
12-07-2009, 01:56 PM
OP can you really not bench the olympic bar?

If so that's cool I have just never heard of it and find it a little hard to believe, are you really trying to push the bar?

ZenMonkey
12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
OP can you really not bench the olympic bar?

If so that's cool I have just never heard of it and find it a little hard to believe, are you really trying to push the bar?

This was weird to me too. My money is on form issues.

OP, like I said before, Ill be in DC for a week at Capital City Club and Spa. If you can get yourself in I will help you get your stuff in order.

VikingWarlord
12-07-2009, 02:28 PM
This was weird to me too. My money is on form issues.

OP, like I said before, Ill be in DC for a week at Capital City Club and Spa. If you can get yourself in I will help you get your stuff in order.

Dancehallnative, you will NEVER get another opportunity like this. Do what you have to in order to take it.

dancehallnative
12-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks everyone. I will take on that opportunity I plan to call the club on friday and see what they can do for me so we can train together. Also it may seem cool that one cant even lift a standard olympic barbell, but not when you are the person. I look weird in a gym using a smith machine to bench even when it has little weights on it. I was once told that I just lack an overall range of motion in my various body parts. I find that untrue as I used to run track. To everyone else I am really trying. I havent started lifting because of exams. As for the GOMAD and my eating of 5k calories was to get my body conditioned to eating and drink milk that much whilst I train. I really didnt think I would be this lucky in terms of quick gains. 4 weeks go by fast and most those days I hadnt even done a full gallon. So i know once I start SS the gain will show. I have no intentions on changing SS because none of us are really better than mark himself and I am lucky I ran into a great forum with people like you all on here.Once the vacation starts I will start the program and list my progress.

Nicky
12-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey, good luck. If you gotta start super light, you gotta start super light. Save the GOMAD till you start lifting and you will get stronger. Keep us posted, your situation (the metal rods) is very interesting.

4g64fiero
12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks everyone. I will take on that opportunity I plan to call the club on friday and see what they can do for me so we can train together. Also it may seem cool that one cant even lift a standard olympic barbell, but not when you are the person. I look weird in a gym using a smith machine to bench even when it has little weights on it. I was once told that I just lack an overall range of motion in my various body parts. I find that untrue as I used to run track. To everyone else I am really trying. I havent started lifting because of exams. As for the GOMAD and my eating of 5k calories was to get my body conditioned to eating and drink milk that much whilst I train. I really didnt think I would be this lucky in terms of quick gains. 4 weeks go by fast and most those days I hadnt even done a full gallon. So i know once I start SS the gain will show. I have no intentions on changing SS because none of us are really better than mark himself and I am lucky I ran into a great forum with people like you all on here.Once the vacation starts I will start the program and list my progress.

I dont normally give advice due to the fact I dont normally have first hand experience but this time I do.

SS and BGB while GOMAD will completely jack you. Thats all I have done for the last 2 years. Drinking a gallon of milk a day without doing those workouts makes you fat as the cows it comes from.

Its a symbiotic relationship.

platypus
12-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Very interested to see how you progress. I'd suggest starting a journal.

dancehallnative
12-07-2009, 11:28 PM
maybe this should be in a post all on its own...but anybody know any free blackberry app that would act as a journal...and maybe even watch diet...cause of course it is 2005 + 4 and nobody wants to carry a real notebook...

Alyion
12-08-2009, 06:42 AM
I couldnt bench the bar when I started - couldn't squat it either.

I was pretty much the weakest most pathetic specimen on the face of the planet when I first went the gym at 6'2 140 lbs ;)

Squatted a 270 on fri - still not amazing but gettin there!

OP - keep it up, its a learning experience and always will be

Mercuryblade
12-08-2009, 01:31 PM

I couldn't bench the bar when I started either, and I couldn't do a single dip or pull-up, I was even skinnier than you are... This is me in the summer 2006. I started really taking the advice on this site seriously in the Fall of 2004. http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21417&d=1153093612 I don't have any more recent pics on this site, but I'm a bit bigger now. This site has an incredible wealth of information.

Also, please don't take offense to this but you are still in highschool? If you find that you can't get adequate time in to lift because of exams, then you are going to have an even harder time once you get into college, and the workplace. I'm not questioning your dedication, but I am questioning your time-management skills.
There are many days where all I do is wake up, go to work, work on my medical school applications, work-out, and then go to bed. I guaruntee that you are not working from the moment you get up until the moment you fall asleep at night, it's incredibly easy to watch an hour of television or dink around on the internet, in that hour you could've gone to the gym.
Staying in good shape and building a good body is all about priorities, if you want results you need to really micromanage your time.

dancehallnative
12-08-2009, 03:19 PM
I am not in HS I am 26 but I am in UNI though.

sammyb
03-22-2011, 08:54 PM
My results from drinking 3/4 gallon in only three weeks. weights 3 times a week. http://img30.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110323at139.png/

sammyb
03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
image didnt work, copy and paste this... http://img30.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110323at139.png/

Dan Fanelli
03-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Nice work man. Whats your weight now? and what are you shooting for?

Auzzie
03-23-2011, 12:48 PM
At first reading through this i was like.... oh no, this is not gonna be pretty but the subsequent posts confirmed that im in the right place to get constructive but POSITIVE knowledge and motivation...

you guys rock!

to dancehallnative i was going to suggest paying for a few one-on-one sessions to get you started in the right direction but hopefully you can take advantage of the offer from the forum member. As it was already said, start a log, there's something inspiring about following someone truly starting from the beginning. Can't wait to read about you tearing it up!!

sammyb
03-28-2011, 04:37 AM
Nice work man. Whats your weight now? and what are you shooting for?

Cheers mate, currently at 137 pounds, would like to get to 160

Raleighwood
03-28-2011, 06:36 AM
3-weeks is NOTHING in the scheme of things.

Keep it up though. Continue to squat, bench, press, dead lift, chin up and row and youll get there. Oh yea, AND EAT.

sammyb
03-28-2011, 06:09 PM
3-weeks is NOTHING in the scheme of things.

Keep it up though. Continue to squat, bench, press, dead lift, chin up and row and youll get there. Oh yea, AND EAT.

Oh i dont mean that I've finished with it, they are just my results so far. Will post another photo when im finished with GOMAD. And yes, i have been eating like a horse, and I find that milk is quickly digested and easy to slam down between meals.

Cheers mate :)

sammyb
04-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Update: Reduced milk intake to 2 L a day. Gaining mass. Will cut in a few months. Feedback?

http://img14.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110409at301.png/

RichMcGuire
04-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Update: Reduced milk intake to 2 L a day. Gaining mass. Will cut in a few months. Feedback?

http://img14.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110409at301.png/

I'd worry less about scale weight and worry more about getting stronger. Don't get me wrong, you need to gain more weight...but strength gains need to accompany it. If you're gaining like 20 lbs in a few months but only add 10 lbs to your lifts, then that is a problem from a physique standpoint in my opinion.

Also, I would want a lot more muscle before I spent 1/3 of the year cutting fat.

f=ma
04-10-2011, 10:22 AM
you need to back off the milk and learn how to structure a consistent diet

gomad a poor crutch for people who think they cannot possibly eat another bite each day

RichMcGuire
04-10-2011, 10:27 AM
I dont care if people GOMAD or half gomad or whatever. As long as they get the Calories in it doesnt matter. My problem with GOMAD is people try to gain like 10 lbs in 2 weeks and end up posting pictures of when they were lean and then new pictures of them stil small but soft and chubby. Most of the time they end up wearing a shirt in the after pics to appear bigger and want people to reassure them how much muscle they put on in only 2 weeks.

f=ma
04-10-2011, 02:39 PM
My problem with GOMAD is people try to gain like 10 lbs in 2 weeks and end up posting pictures of when they were lean and then new pictures of them stil small but soft and chubby. Most of the time they end up wearing a shirt in the after pics to appear bigger and want people to reassure them how much muscle they put on in only 2 weeks.
exactly, gomad sucks

UNLESS

you are gifted with that 5000 kcal metabolism.. there are a couple guys on here like that. but its truly rare

Off Road
04-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Go figure...a couple of the leanest guys on the forum don't like GOMAD.
But when you are lean AND small, and have a hard time gaining weight; GOMAD can take you places. But only when you combine it with great efforts in the gym. And the efforts should come long before the GOMAD, not the other way around.

sammyb
04-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! In terms of diet i have a pretty consistent one, i just drink milk in between meals. And the reason i didnt drink a gallon a day is because of the fat issue. I've only put on 11 pounds in 6 weeks, so im pretty sure its more muscle gain than fat gain. Will be stopping now, seeing as ive put on 11 pounds already, i just needed that "kick start". So basically, I would like to know if people think this is a failed gomad or not, because there arent many pics on before after gomad so im sort of in the dark haha

sammyb
07-20-2011, 10:45 PM
hey guys. its been over 4 months, i ditched the GOMAD and focused on a proper diet.

here is a pic of me before and now
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/screenshot20110721at236.png/

i'm after some advice... I really wish to get more defined, any suggestions on how to cut fat and maintain muscle? I've screwed my ankle (drunken antics) so sprints are out of the picture. any high intensity exercises you can suggest??

cheers in advance