PDA

View Full Version : Critique my bulk and other questions

dishul156
12-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Some background information:
I currently weigh about 158 and I am 5 9. Ive lost about 70 pounds over the last two years, and I think its time to take it to the next level. I want to bulk about 10 pounds, a critique of my diet would be great.

Starting weight: 158
Goal Weight: 168
Meal 1 - Protien shake with milk and peanut butter, almonds and fish oil capsules and multi vitamin
Protien: 58g Fat: 18g
Meal 2 - Protien shake with oats
Protien: 40g Carbs : 60g
Meal 3 - Chicken breast 8 oz with rice
Protien 58g Carbs 50g
Meal 4 - Chicken breast or eggs with rice oar oats
Protien 58g Carbs 50g
Meal 5(Post Workout) - Protien shake with water and almonds or other nuts
Protien 48g Fat: 18g

I knoo its a large amount of shakes but Its the only way I can get a continous amount of protien during school. Its also about 2400 calories which Im questioning. My body has been used to getting about 1600 calories while I was cutting, so would a diet with only 2400 calories be enough?

I was also wondering when I finish a bulk, and I cut again, what calories and what nutrients do i cut to lose the fat and keep the muscle?:confused:

VikingWarlord
12-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Just eat and lift. If you gain too quickly, eat less. It's not that difficult.

Don't think, just do.

LuNa
12-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Where are your veggies/fruits?

tom183
12-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Its also about 2400 calories which Im questioning. My body has been used to getting about 1600 calories while I was cutting, so would a diet with only 2400 calories be enough?

Probably. As VikingWarlord said if you gain too quickly, eat less. Conversely, if you dont gain, eat more.

I was also wondering when I finish a bulk, and I cut again, what calories and what nutrients do i cut to lose the fat and keep the muscle?

Worry about that when the time comes.

dishul156
12-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys I guess im overthinking it. My veggies and fruits come from a V8 which i forgot to include

VikingWarlord
12-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Your veggies and fruits need to come from veggies and fruits. As far as you're concerned, V8 doesn't exist. You will always be better off eating real food.

Tom Mutaffis
12-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Be careful not to eat a lot of fat and carbohydrates in the same meal (your first meal).

You also may want to moderate your milk intake if you are looking for mostly lean gains. Oatmeal is a great way to boost calories in a shake and keep you full for longer. Eating right before bed is a good way to pack on size and pre/post workout nutrition is very important; I did not see any pre/post workout meals listed in your program.

dishul156
12-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Would skim milk in one shake be okay?

I just added about 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit to the diet. Pre workout I usually have a carb and protien meal and post workout I do a protien shake and about an hour laer another protien meal with complex carbs. Would that be good?

David Trantham
12-07-2009, 08:05 AM
t think your diet looks pretty good. just a few notes you might want to take is , the fats in the pb or almond butter are good but remember to eat the naural pb and al. butter. also if you are eating a lot of fat you might want to cut down on your carb intake and if your carb intake is high cut down on your fat inake. that what seems to work for me and other . you want to try to gain lean body mass so take it slow, my take is if your are eating a lot of carbs and a lot of fat lats a lot of calories, because number 1 fat has 9 cal. per gram and the calories can add of quickly. my 2nd take is if you are eating way to many carbs then the exscess carbs will be stored as bodyfat, (no good) you will have to find the fine line between the two. to gain lean mass its all about what you put into your body and the effort u put into the gym, its not rocket science but their are correct ways to make it easier. one note i would also like to make is please eat your fruits and vegs, they are essential for good grow, especially the green vegs, don't leave them out 2 0r 3 severing a day. (they are not loaded with calories)

vdizenzo
12-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Be careful not to eat a lot of fat and carbohydrates in the same meal (your first meal).

Hey Tom, I'm curious why one should not eat a lot of fat and carbs in the same meal? I ask this because I usually take 4 fish oil caps with breakfast and dinner. Would I be better off taking them when I am just having my protein shake in the am and pm?

Sorry for the hijack.

VikingWarlord
12-07-2009, 11:50 AM
t think your diet looks pretty good. just a few notes you might want to take is , the fats in the pb or almond butter are good but remember to eat the naural pb and al. butter.

Why? The fats are the same in both nuts and their respective butters. It's not necessary to do both.

Hey Tom, I'm curious why one should not eat a lot of fat and carbs in the same meal? I ask this because I usually take 4 fish oil caps with breakfast and dinner. Would I be better off taking them when I am just having my protein shake in the am and pm?

Sorry for the hijack.

Relatively large amounts of fats slow overall digestion. It's why Glycemic Index doesn't mean anything when you're talking about mixed macros.

The fish oil you're taking (probably 4-5g at a time or so) isn't going to be enough at any one time to really affect nutrient absorption.

vdizenzo
12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Vinking Warlord are you serious? I have been thinking about changing my carbs up based on glycemic index. Other than baked potatoes I don't really eat anything that is high on the list. However, I have just started to investigate it and wondered if it was worth pursuing.

David Trantham
12-07-2009, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=VikingWarlord;2255262]Why? The fats are the same in both nuts and their respective butters. It's not necessary to do both.

no its not necessary to do both, what i was refering to was all the processed peanut but,almond butter, and all the nuts that have proscessed oils

VikingWarlord
12-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Vinking Warlord are you serious? I have been thinking about changing my carbs up based on glycemic index. Other than baked potatoes I don't really eat anything that is high on the list. However, I have just started to investigate it and wondered if it was worth pursuing.

Pretty much, yeah. The rate of digestion sort of averages out. Whey protein is highly bioavailable which is why it's ideal for post workout. Add something like dextrose which is also highly bioavailable and you have something that's still broken down and delivered very quickly. Fats will slow that down even further.

I guess I should rephrase what I said before. GI only really means much if you're trying to do low fat dieting or not consuming more complex proteins (read: meat). The carbs you put in will still be digested first, but the rate at which they're digested gets slowed down once everything gets mixed up in your gut.

I tried to simplify that as much as possible, hope it all came out right.

no its not necessary to do both, what i was refering to was all the processed peanut but,almond butter, and all the nuts that have proscessed oils

I think I figured out what you meant. I missed his inclusion of peanut butter in the first post and just saw the mention of "nuts" in the 5th meal.

Don't take this the wrong way, because it seems like you've got a lot of good information to share, but sometimes your posts are really hard to decode.