PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with healthy breakfast and lunch

tryme
12-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi all. I think breakfast and lunch are my downfall as I have been told I eat far too much bread for body building and conditioning. For breakfast I usually have toast and for lunch i'll have brown bread rolls with chicken slices, i've been told this is junk food but was always under the impression brown bread was good for you and the chicken slices would have protein? :omg:

Could somebody suggest some cheap, quick and easy breakfast and lunch ideas? I look online and they always come up with these things I would NEVER do like couscous, what the hell is couscous?

VikingWarlord
12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Couscous is a whole wheat semolina pasta.

Bread isn't bad for you and people that say that are morons. Too much bread isn't a good idea but it comes down to your overall macros. As long as you're hitting your requirements, fill it in with whatever makes you happy.

Mercuryblade
12-07-2009, 01:17 PM

Bread isn't bad for you and people that say that are morons. Too much bread isn't a good idea but it comes down to your overall macros. As long as you're hitting your requirements, fill it in with whatever makes you happy.

This.

Fit your macros, and don't go overboard with white bread/rice/or any other hi GI carb.

malkore
12-07-2009, 04:24 PM
breakfast: steak and eggs and eggs and steak...that's what you oughta eat...Delicious!

toast is ok but its not protein, which is what the body needs after 8 hours of fasting (a.k.a. sleep).

Dawn Trantham
12-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi! I have been following your struggle with what to eat. I feel for you. Unfortunatly too much bread is not good if you are trying to lean out. Maybe if you could cut down to one serving of bread a day possibly @ lunch and eat a balanced breakfast such as 1 boiled egg along with a couple of egg whites and 1/2 cup of oatmeal that will jump start you metabolism in tha am. For lunch try some low fat cottage cheese(good soucre of protein) with chicken & half of the brown roll. Also add in some filler meaning vegetables such as dark green leafy veggies, brussel sprouts, cabbage, green beans, spinach ect. stay away from starchy veg. legumes, potatoes, corn unless you are not having the 1/2 pc of bread roll then have a serving. I hope this helps. Bread is my vice as well and I know better. Good luck

tryme
12-08-2009, 07:07 AM
thanks for the help guys will deffinately start looking at other options instead of the bread way out.

shorm777
12-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi! I have been following your struggle with what to eat. I feel for you. Unfortunatly too much bread is not good if you are trying to lean out. Maybe if you could cut down to one serving of bread a day possibly @ lunch and eat a balanced breakfast such as 1 boiled egg along with a couple of egg whites and 1/2 cup of oatmeal that will jump start you metabolism in tha am. For lunch try some low fat cottage cheese(good soucre of protein) with chicken & half of the brown roll. Also add in some filler meaning vegetables such as dark green leafy veggies, brussel sprouts, cabbage, green beans, spinach ect. stay away from starchy veg. legumes, potatoes, corn unless you are not having the 1/2 pc of bread roll then have a serving. I hope this helps. Bread is my vice as well and I know better. Good luck

Good post, helps alot.

tryme
12-09-2009, 03:04 AM
I heard cheerios are good breakfast is this true?

dlew
12-09-2009, 10:14 AM
I heard cheerios are good breakfast is this true?It's got sugar, corn starch and brown sugar syrup, and not a lot of protein. Personally, I'd rather have steel cut oats.

Mercuryblade
12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
It's got sugar, corn starch and brown sugar syrup, and not a lot of protein. Personally, I'd rather have steel cut oats.

I won't argue with you about steel cut oats being a better alternative, but the added sugar in cheerios is miniscule (a whopping 1g) and neither are a good source of protein.

J.C.
12-09-2009, 01:07 PM

Bread isn't bad for you and people that say that are morons. Too much bread isn't a good idea but it comes down to your overall macros.

I agree with this.

I just read this thread and it kind of depresses me that bread is usually taken to be evil in the fitness world nowadays. If you're a figure competitor (much respect to Dawn here...) then maybe it's an important thing to cut out, but if you're a healthy, active male who doesn't notice any particular intolerance to carbs then whole-wheat/brown bread is perfectly fine and much more of a positive than a negative.

Some people seem to be carbohydrate intolerant and things like bread don't work well for them. Others are totally fine and it all comes down to the overall macros. Take Dawn's great advice but don't go thinking bread is single-handedly going to sabotage your efforts.

I think learning how to make bread is one of the most important things the human race ever learnt to do. Fresh-baked bread is awesome. I need to start a group for fitness people willing to defend bread's honour... Show some love for the bread!

Nick530
12-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Ive starting making protein smoothies. So bomb..

machaf
12-09-2009, 03:35 PM
I usually do liquid egg whites + two chicken sausages. Mix is heated pan or make an omelette.

320 cals 50g protein.

Been doing this the past 6 months. Its starting to get old.. Need something new

Mercuryblade
12-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree with this.

I just read this thread and it kind of depresses me that bread is usually taken to be evil in the fitness world nowadays. If you're a figure competitor (much respect to Dawn here...) then maybe it's an important thing to cut out, but if you're a healthy, active male who doesn't notice any particular intolerance to carbs then whole-wheat/brown bread is perfectly fine and much more of a positive than a negative.

Some people seem to be carbohydrate intolerant and things like bread don't work well for them. Others are totally fine and it all comes down to the overall macros. Take Dawn's great advice but don't go thinking bread is single-handedly going to sabotage your efforts.

I think learning how to make bread is one of the most important things the human race ever learnt to do. Fresh-baked bread is awesome. I need to start a group for fitness people willing to defend bread's honour... Show some love for the bread!

When you a figure competitor and you are micromanaging every single nutrient that goes in your body, bread is probably something you don't need.

For me personally, I absolutely can not low-carb diet. I get depressed, and have zero energy in the gym. Whatever benefits I may get from cutting out carbs are completely negated by the fact that after 1 set of deadlifts I'm ready to go to sleep.

I've had great experience with just managing my diet as a whole, and watching my carb intake so I don't go overboard.

VikingWarlord
12-11-2009, 09:31 AM
I said somewhere else once or twice that the problem NEVER lies with bread. The problems people run into are usually with pasta, rice, potatoes...things that aren't pre-portioned. It's far easier to overeat that kind of stuff than it

People that compete need to remember that most of the membership DON'T. As such, the obsession that competitors need to hit those goals is nowhere near a requirement for everyone else. Everyone will bring his or her own perspective to posts, but some people take it a little too far at times. Giving someone that's 50lbs overweight your contest prep diet is putting the cart before the horse.

peatr99
12-12-2009, 12:54 AM
i like breakfast because it sets a solid base for nutrition for the day. I usually eat 4-6 eggs, bacon and sometimes I put them both on whole wheat english muffins and sometimes make 2 giant breakfast sandwiches. This plus I always eat a cup of oats plus a scoop of protein powder, a big glass of milk, a banana, and more bacon, because, well its bacon!

Irish Pilot
12-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Oats
Banana
Apple
Eggs
Egg Whites
Bacon
Ham
Kashi Cereal
Fruit Smoothie
Protein Shake
Yogurt
Granola
Milk
Cottage Cheese
Whole Grain Toast/Muffin
Natural Peanut Butter

james_w8lifter
12-13-2009, 04:23 PM
breakfast: steak and eggs and eggs and steak...that's what you oughta eat...Delicious!

toast is ok but its not protein, which is what the body needs after 8 hours of fasting (a.k.a. sleep).

The whole-grain wheat bread I eat has 9 grams of protein per slice...

To the OP, in the morning I eat 3 boiled eggs, 2 slices of whole-grain wheat bread, occasionally a banana, and a 940 calorie weight gainer shake. That adds up to 1300-1500 calories, a lot of protein, and plenty of carbs from the shake.

Bodyguard
12-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Monster Biscuit anyone?

SupRsmall
12-27-2009, 10:57 PM
kellogs nutri-grain cereal. High in protein, tastes good, when combined with milk is a perfect base to a good breakfast. All macros are filled

tryme
12-28-2009, 03:23 AM
what about that fruit n fiber

TXslapshot
12-29-2009, 03:40 PM
I once cut out bread for wrestling, ate a ton of veggies and protein to try and stay strong. Needless to say I will never cut like that again, I slept all the time, never felt good and worst off, lost strength... One of the many reasons I love hockey, were encouraged to be as big and broad as possible without losing our quick feet and strong strides.

Hwyman
12-30-2009, 02:46 PM
If you just want a plain, cold cereal get Kashi Go Lean (not the "Crunch" version). It contains 13g protein, 10g fiber, and 6g sugar before you add milk. It tastes great.

tryme
12-30-2009, 02:54 PM
dont think they sell that in england.

JSully
12-31-2009, 01:59 PM
hit the macros..

For breakfast - protein shake + lucky charms FTW

For lunch I like to cook my chicken with a chipotle seasoning, then add some cheddar cheese and put it in a tortilla..

macros are what matters..

Tumzoli
01-05-2010, 06:24 AM
I uasaully make dinner then set aside a portion for my lunch as with my breakfast i eat wheat bix and a protein shake. it seems to be working as i make sure my dinner has plenty of greens and proteins.

Mercuryblade
01-05-2010, 10:42 AM
hit the macros..

For breakfast - protein shake + lucky charms FTW

For lunch I like to cook my chicken with a chipotle seasoning, then add some cheddar cheese and put it in a tortilla..

macros are what matters..

Gotta love that morning insulin resistance, I will often times have a cinnamon roll with a protein shake when I'm feeling the need for some junk. I just work it into my macros for the rest of the day, and it doesn't even count as a cheat :burger:

Bosch232
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Are you looking for high protein? If so, try this:

Scramble two eggs, and microwave them in a round cereal bowl.
Toast two slices of whole grain bread.
Heat up slices of ham, and if you want the fat, add cheese.

Throw it together, and you have a ham, cheese, and egg sandwich that will have 35+ grams of protein.
If you want to add carbs, use a bagel instead of bread.

TXslapshot
01-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Are you looking for high protein? If so, try this:

Scramble two eggs, and microwave them in a round cereal bowl.
Toast two slices of whole grain bread.
Heat up slices of ham, and if you want the fat, add cheese.

Throw it together, and you have a ham, cheese, and egg sandwich that will have 35+ grams of protein.
If you want to add carbs, use a bagel instead of bread.

Mmmmm I love these egg sandwiches.. Making one tomorrow before my workout as a matter of fact. On a side note, Not much of a football guy but I really hope Texas upsets Alabama tomorrow.

Editors009
01-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Good BreakFast Recepies:

* Perfect Scrambled Eggs

* Sausage and Egg Casserole

* Sausage and Grits Casserole

* Scrambled Eggs

*Scrambled Eggs Florentine

LadyGrip
01-15-2010, 07:42 AM
I agree with the whole-wheat bread. I learned that 2 slice of whole-wheat Sara Lee 45 calorie bread is the equivalent to eating 1 slice of white bread. This is due to the low calorie, high fiber content. I toss a fried egg on two pieces of it nearly every morning and then my fruit and milk. Three filling foods- keeps me pretty much full until lunch. I obviously don't weigh in as much as a man would so probably double that amount for a man. FiberOne cereal is also super low in calorie and high in fiber - I add Truvia (natural sweetner) to it as well.

tryme
02-11-2010, 01:27 PM

hi what do you mean by egg whites? just scrammble the whites of the eggs?

Focused70
02-11-2010, 09:53 PM
hi what do you mean by egg whites? just scrammble the whites of the eggs?

pretty much.

easier to make an omelette with the following ratio: one whole egg, 3 egg whites. use a nonstick spray like PAM if you're keeping it low-cal.

chungyong
03-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Three scrambled eggs on a slice of brown toast. No milk or butter, and don't put salt on until after cooking. Make sure you continually stir the eggs and take off the heat for 30 seconds per minute whilst still stirring, otherwise they'll go rubbery.

tryme
03-09-2010, 06:07 AM
yeah I am a scrammbled egg addict but can only manage about 3 in the morning!