PDA

View Full Version : Abdominal Strength and hernias

bluelew
12-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Cyber slap me if this is a stupid question but will having strong solid abs do anything to prevent hernias?

JK1
12-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Cyber slap me if this is a stupid question but will having strong solid abs do anything to prevent hernias?

Personally, I don't think so, but it will help if you blow out an umbilical hernia and have it repaired....

The reason is an umbilical hernia is a defect within the connective tissue of the linea alba--the connective tissue that forms the aponeuroses between the rectus abdominus muscles. There is no muscle tissue in that aponeuroses. Its strictly connective tissue, with fat over it.

drmobley
12-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I have an abdominal/what i believe to be epigastric hernia and I can recall when I first felt and noticed it...and at the time, my abs were cut and ripped and I did a lot of ab work. So i believe that this type of hernia cannot be prevented because it is basically fibrous tissue that tears. On the flip side, it may be all of this work along with the increased abdominal pressure from heavy lifting that actually helped create it. Oh well...on the bright side I cut back on my ab work and gained 20 pounds and my overall strength went up.