PDA

View Full Version : PL meet at VMI

halfsquat
12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
On Saturday December 5th, I competed in my 1st meet since 1997. It was a USAPL meet held at VMI in Lexington VA. The meet director was Capt. Monte Sparkman, a PhysEd instructor and powerlifting coach at the Institute. Coach Sparkman is a super-nice guy.

He had help running the meet from several VA USAPL officials (John Shifflett, Will Morris, Nick Minetti - among several others who I did not have the pleasure of meeting) and a number of cadets. I just wanted to congratulate Coach Sparkman, VMI and VA USAPL for what I thought was great meet!!

BTW, I dropped 20lbs. in about 6 weeks to compete at 198. I won my weight/age class (198/40-44) against 2 other lifters. My lifts were RAW and as follows: SQ-440, B-303, DL-478.

I didn't quite reach my goals for this year but had a great time competing again after so many years. Powerlifters are just a great group of people to spend a Saturday with.

I'm going to take a couple of weeks off from lifting to nurse a few small, nagging aches and pains. But I plan on hitting the weights hard and heavy by the 1st of the year. Looking to compete again maybe late spring/early summer 2010.

Again, thanks to Coach Sparkman for a great meet!

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
12-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Congratulations! Also, do you plan to compete at the August, 2010 usapl bench press nationals at Charlottesville,VA. The meet director is John Shifflett. I plan to compete at the meet too.

halfsquat
12-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Congratulations! Also, do you plan to compete at the August, 2010 usapl bench press nationals at Charlottesville,VA. The meet director is John Shifflett. I plan to compete at the meet too.

Thanks! I'd like to go and watch the BP Nationals but I'm no where near strong enough to compete at the national level. I'm thinking of lifting at the Richmond Open or the VA States in 2010.