PDA

View Full Version : Power pants + strongman

PL1986
12-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Would power pants hinder events other than say a squatting event? Or would they help in things like farmers walk, tire flips, etc...

Beverly McD.
12-08-2009, 06:04 AM
I'm not a strongman pro but I'll give it a shot. Maybe the guru's here will chime in :).
Powerpants are to give you tightness in the hips, glutes and quads. They are a help on squats, not a hindrance. They might be an asset on tire flips but they would not be good for anything that required speed and forward motion, like farmers walk.

Again, just a guess on my part.

Tom Mutaffis
12-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Would power pants hinder events other than say a squatting event? Or would they help in things like farmers walk, tire flips, etc...

Some guys wear them, but most just go with warm pants (neoprene - Rehband). What you gain in stability with the power pants you lose in mobility. The warm pants still give you some support and keep your muscles warm without having a negative impact on mobility.

I would not recommend purchasing the Power Pants but if you already have a pair you can give them a try to see how you like them.

Beverly McD.
12-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Tom, how about just a pair of PL briefs? Tight in the hips, but no legs on them at all.

Tom Mutaffis
12-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Tom, how about just a pair of PL briefs? Tight in the hips, but no legs on them at all.

Groove Briefs?

I know of one guy who wears them but he also wears warm pants over them. In terms of lower body support equipment I would say that out of the guys who wear lower body supports over 90% of them are using Rehband/Vulkan/other warm pants. The other 10% are wearing compression shorts (Under Armor/Nike/Etc.).

The warm pants can be a bit expensive (the Rehbands are over $50) but they will last you for years and are a good investment.

Beverly McD.
12-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks Tom.
I'm so out of the loop on strongman that it never even crossed my mind that you guys might wear supportive undergarments.:scratch: PL1986 got me curious.

PL1986
12-08-2009, 01:34 PM
do you think they would have any benefit to a car deadlift or trap bar deadlift for reps event?

Beverly McD.
12-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Powerpants or groove briefs are used like a spring. When you squat down, you push against them like you are loading up a tight spring. You have to fight the briefs to get down without them pushing you of position.
When you shift direction they act as a spring, to drive (spring) you out of the hole.

Tom Mutaffis
12-09-2009, 10:05 AM
do you think they would have any benefit to a car deadlift or trap bar deadlift for reps event?

Does the contest allow squat suits?

Power pants could be beneficial for those events; I would just check with the promoter to make sure that they are allowed before you start using them in training. Also, never change something up on game day - practice how you compete.