PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Bands

ehopkins932
12-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I have heard conflicting information on this subject. More often than not Ive heard people recommending to save bands until you are more advanced. Their argument is that they rather have bands take you from 650-700 than from 250-300. On the other hand, others see it as why not use something that will help you now. What are your thought guys?

Also, I compete raw, and was wondering how useful bands would be for me or any raw lifter (I do own a set, so I purchasing them isn't an issue). Also, my sticking points are out of the hole, lockout, and off the floor.

Thanks.

NOTE: I am referring to all 3 lifts.

drew
12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Assuming you are talking about squat.

Depending on your size, you should probably be squatting close to 405 before you start thinking about bands and you reallyneed to make sure your form is pretty solid. If your form sucks, bands will make you worse and you'll probably get hurt.

ehopkins932
12-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I was referring to all 3 lifts in regards to the first and 2nd question.

JSully
12-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I compete RAW and I feel they have helped a great deal. In combination with speed days I find that all my maxes have increased. I put 35lbs on my bench in the last 4.5 months and 60lbs on my squat in the last 3.5months. I haven't tested deads, but I'd say 30-40lbs are in order..

IMO, bands will help you no matter what. If you use bands to get from 200-300, why wouldn't they also help to get from 650-700? Typicall, these people are getting those jumps because the bands are a new way to train for them so the body responds very well. I suppose the best way would be to cycle them. Try lifting for 8-12 weeks with bands, then cycle off to chains then cycle off to straight weight and back to bands... that way you never lose that "new type of training" feeling..

Barbaccio
12-08-2009, 05:32 PM
e, having had the pleasure to see you lift in person, I'll tell you to start working bands NOW. You had some phenomenal strength but your speed/power was lacking. That last deadlift? You had no speed/power to get the bar moving! After seeing your second pull the strength was there but you're lacking all the good qualities bands can give you. I should have given you my # at the meet but it skipped my mind. Give me a shout if you want man, 856-336-8663. Definitely get the bands and start using them for ALL your lifts. You'll see quick improvements!

jtteg_x
12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
I personally believe the best time to incorporate bands (and chains) into the big 3 is after building a solid strength base. I like to use this old universal 3-lift chart as a reference. This chart was saved on my computer on 2005 and it was very well created before that year. Lifters inching closer to Class IV level have a decent base and should definitely start using bands (+chains). Its a question of matter on which bands and how much weighted chains.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2v3m2ww.jpg

chris mason
12-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I think many people don't realize the value of bands for ME, or heavy work. I am fine with someone who is comfortable with the various lifts incorporating them. There is no need for one to be an advanced lifter prior to using them.

MarcusWild
12-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Yes, I think even beginners can use bands as long as you have good technique. Bands will magnify bad technique which can lead to injury.

Our raw lifters use bands, and they work great. The main difference is they use less band tension because they need to stay strong at the bottom of the lifts. Bands are a great way to get more explosive (DE work) and overload the top of the lift (ME work). The overloading the lift seems to get people stronger faster even for raw lifters. Just remember the load at the top shouldn't be more than 10% over your max or you probably aren't getting much out of it.

Ermantroudt
12-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Just add them to your lift...I used bands and/or chains as part of Conjugate training for many years.

SQ: Add a pair of light or average bands-They can be used for free squats or box squats.
BP: Double Mini's or Monster Mini's or a Light Band behind the back can be used for all pressing.
DL: Quad folded mini for low rack pulls work the best for our team.

ehopkins932
12-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks everyone. Tone, Ill do 3 sets of 6-8 after my bench, squat, and dead day on the 5/3/1 using bands for those lifts. I was planning on doubling minis under my feet and loop um over the bar for deadlifts (max is 300). Ill use purples for benching (205 max) and squatting (320 max). Sound about right?

Barbaccio
12-10-2009, 04:19 AM
No. 3 sets of 6-8 with bands is going to beat you up too much. You need to use them as accessory work after 5/3/1. With a 205 bench max I'd use doubled mini's with 65lbs of bar weight for a total weight somewhere in the 160's. Do that for 6 sets of 2 focusing on really exploding out of the bottom. Using bands the way you're talking about will destroy your joints. You won't recover for days.

ehopkins932
12-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Ok, thanks, that's good to know. So the goal here is to use more band tension than straight weight? or about equal? How does this look for a 5/3/1 set-up...

5/3/1 Miltary
Floor Press 3x8
Pull-ups 4x5-8
RC Work

5/3/1 Deadlift
Deadlift 6 sets of 2 w/ doubled purples under feet....Ill have to figure out bar weight (135?)
Pull-Throughs 3x10-12
Decline Sit-up 3x10-12

5/3/1 Bench
Bench 6 sets of 2 w/ doubled minis and 65lbs bar weight
Chest Supported DB Row 4x8-10
Tricep Rope Pushdowns 2x12-15
RC Work

5/3/1 Squat
Squat 6 sets of 2 w/ purple....same thing w/ bar weight as deads, Im not sure
Olympic High Bar Squats 2x10 (would these help starting power w/ deads and squats? and would front squats be better?)
Ab Wheel 3x10-12

I'm not really sure how to handle intensity/volume w/ bands since Ive never used them before and Im not sure how they will impact my recovery. So I kept the accessory more higher volume (also because Im trying to move to 165 and Im at ~150 right now). Does that look alright?

Thanks again for all the help Tone. I start hitting the weights again on friday.