PDA

View Full Version : diet suggestions for someone with mono

thejosewales
12-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey All,

I've recently been diagnosed with mononucleosis (mono), so I have at least 6 weeks ahead of me where any kind of training just isn't an option. My main goal is to minimize muscle loss during my recovery. Because I can't do any kind of weightlifting or strenuous exercise, I was wondering whether or not there was anything I could do with my diet to minimize muscle loss.

I'm 5 foot 7, 165 pounds and my BMR is 1808. My plan is to shoot for 2200 calories a day with apprx. 1-1.5 g/lb of protein. Is there anything else I can do that will help minimize muscle loss?

Also, I've accepted that I will lose mass and strength over the course of 6 weeks, but can anyone tell me how much of a loss I can expect?

Thanks alot.

arctic
12-09-2009, 09:12 AM
In my opinion you shouldn't worry so much about muscle loss, but focus on getting healthy again. 6 weeks isn't set in stone, just an estimate. Don't focus so much on consuming excessive amounts of protein in an effort to maintain muscle mass. Also, don't neglect your other macros in an effort to fit the protein cals into your diet. If you don't use your muscles they will waste away, eating tons of protein will do little (if anything) to preserve them. Eat what you need to in order to feel healthy and energized (using good sense) while your body fights off the virus.

Your doctor is the one you should consult about your diet. They know you and your health more accurately than anyone on this forum. The sooner you get better the sooner you can get back on track. :thumbup: