PDA

View Full Version : Strange water retention

jason555
12-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm a 20 y/o male and have had water retention for a couple years now. I can never seem to gain weight without gaining a load of water too. I just find it strange seeing as I have a low bf. I've tried everything i can think of to find the source of the water retention. I've tried cutting down on salt, drinking more water, diuretics, cutting carbs, eating more fibre and pretty much everything else, all with negligable results. Does this probably mean that the water is hormone related? I've had hormone tests done before and they showed high testosterone as well as high estroegen. It is really demotivating when you're working hard at the gym and eating right and still the problem persists.

If anyone has any ideas of why I'm retaining water please let me know,
Thanks

Mercuryblade
12-08-2009, 07:16 PM
How do you know you are retaining water and it's not just fat?
When you lose weight does it go away? Is your skin shiny or stretched looking?

jason555
12-16-2009, 08:16 AM
sorry for late reply haven't been able to get on here lately.

I know its water because when i pull the skin it ripples. I can get very good vascularity too which is another indication that it isn't fat. Also, under good light i can look very lean, yet i am extremely soft to the touch when not tensing (when tensing im pretty hard mostly). When i lose weight it becomes marginally better but persists nonetheless. Yes skin is quite stretched looking in some areas.

JJ33
12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Do you drink milk?I remember back in my early days to get that hard, ripped look i couldn t drink any milk or any dairy product to get rid of any excess water.

Mercuryblade
12-16-2009, 12:32 PM
sorry for late reply haven't been able to get on here lately.

I know its water because when i pull the skin it ripples. I can get very good vascularity too which is another indication that it isn't fat. Also, under good light i can look very lean, yet i am extremely soft to the touch when not tensing (when tensing im pretty hard mostly). When i lose weight it becomes marginally better but persists nonetheless. Yes skin is quite stretched looking in some areas.

Where is it located on the body?

If this is truly water then this could be an indication of a serious health condition.

jason555
12-17-2009, 05:33 AM
yeah i do drink quite a lot of milk, should i drop this to see if the problem persists? can i replace it with soya? water retention is all over really, including face. Its got to the point where i'm just feeling really bloated 24/7 and its really starting to get to me.

jreed110
12-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Some dietitions sell pills to keep water retention down. Obviously this starts with a significant decrease in weight when first tgaking them and after that you just take one a day to keep it from building up again.

JJ33
12-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Drop all your dairy products and give it about a month.I know you will still want dairy but i bet this is that last lit bit of water you want to get rid of.Make sure you are taking a good multi-vitamin.I never had to use a water pill when i was younger so i can t really comment on them.Now of course to bulk (get stronger)you can just add your dairy back in and that will put the water back in which you do need to keep your joints safer.

Beverly McD.
12-17-2009, 10:32 AM
If you're already lean and vasular, you may be setting unrealistic goals for yourself. That lean, hard "dry" look it sounds as if you're trying to achieve is only good for a day or so. No one walks around like that on a day to day basis.

Mercuryblade
12-17-2009, 10:38 AM
If you're already lean and vasular, you may be setting unrealistic goals for yourself. That lean, hard "dry" look it sounds as if you're trying to achieve is only good for a day or so. No one walks around like that on a day to day basis.

OP I think you may need to post pics.

Also, if you really are retaining more water than the average person, it could be indicative of something serious.

jason555
12-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Here are some pictures then.

jason555
12-21-2009, 01:34 PM
...and here are the rest. I am flexing in 2 of them (201457 and 202418). Its hard to get across with pictures just how soft i feel to the touch, especially arms, chest and upper thighs. I hold most of my fluid in these places. I also have slight gynecomastia, which the fluid retention makes look a lot worse (due to lots of water in lower chest).

Unreal
12-21-2009, 03:33 PM
It isn't water, it is fat. Simply get leaner and you will get harder.

JJ33
12-21-2009, 05:04 PM
What training are you doing.I would have to agree that you need to step up the cardio if you want to get leaner.If i was you i would want to put more size on not get leaner.At 20 these are your best growth years naturally.

jason555
12-21-2009, 05:52 PM
whilst i agree im not at a SUPER low body fat i know that it is low, like i said i can get good vascularity and in good lighting can get a good outline of a 6 pack. My weight can go fluctuate as much as 6/7 pounds in a day, and the ripply effect tells me it's water. Im not trying to kid myself, it's easy to tell when it's water as opposed to fat.
I get extremely bad cramps when running and even just when walking sometimes.
I'm on a 4 day a week push pull split, just came off a 3 day a week full body routine. Try to go heavy, reps nornally between 5 and 10.
I get great pumps in the gym (prob due to the water retention), and look very filled out, but after a few hours or so the pump goes and fluid retention stays very noticebly.
I obviously want to gain size, but it seems i can't without gaining a load of fluid whilst doing so.

Unreal
12-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Your simply not as lean or as big as you want to be. Focus on diet and training and it will come. Sounds like your hovering around 11% or so. Get down to 7-8% if you want to be more cut, or focus on adding some lean mass. My weight can fluctuate 10-12lbs in a day. Everything your saying sounds completely normal. I would also say you don't have gyno, just your not that lean and have some fat on your pecs.

jason555
12-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Well i'm pretty sure i do have gyno, two marble sized lumps under each nipple, the doctor diagnosed it as such.
I am willing to work as hard as need to be to make gains, and get leaner, but i feel like any work i do won't show as i have this fluidy layer covering everything up. Why am i reasonably hard when flexing yet ridiculously soft, almost female like when relaxed? It's hard to describe how something feels over the internet, I just know that i shouldn't be this ripply, and i hold a lot more water than most.

jason555
12-22-2009, 04:02 AM
i appreciate all comments though

JJ33
12-22-2009, 08:08 AM
First off when you workout you are forcing blood into a muscle group.Making it bigger (pumped) after a couple of hours everybody looses their pump.Yes you can flex and your muscle will be hard and when not flexed you think the muscle should stay hard?Everybody s body weight flunctuates daily.The thing that most influences this is water intake,diet.Which in your case would lead me to believe there is something missing b/c you get cramps running.Now i know nothing about running but a buddy of mine runs marathons down here in FL.He always has to build up his endurance over a period of time to be able to run long distances.And he is very lean about the same age as you.But when he trains with weights he understands he will not be as strong as someone with a little body fat on them.So you have to decide what do you want be lean and weak or get stronger and carry a little water for your joints.

Clover
12-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Everything you're saying sounds pretty normal to me. I can go from 183-188 on any given day depending on what I eat. Sometimes I feel strong and lean, other times I feel weak and fat.

tnathletics2b
12-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Well i'm pretty sure i do have gyno, two marble sized lumps under each nipple, the doctor diagnosed it as such.
I am willing to work as hard as need to be to make gains, and get leaner, but i feel like any work i do won't show as i have this fluidy layer covering everything up. Why am i reasonably hard when flexing yet ridiculously soft, almost female like when relaxed? It's hard to describe how something feels over the internet, I just know that i shouldn't be this ripply, and i hold a lot more water than most.

Ouch. I know some females on here who are harder than most...

Anyways, we aren't doctors. If you feel this bad and horrible all the time, cramping just walking around, bloated, feel like crap all the time, go see a doctor. You have argued with every single thing said that people post. So...just go to the doctor.

Mercuryblade
12-22-2009, 09:51 AM

First off, nice work on your body. You've got a bit of lean mass on you.

From those pics, you just look like someone who could cut their BF down even further if they want to. Think about what you'r saying. If you really are retaining water, there wouldn't be any reason why it would just become hard when you flex, right? You talk about how you get pumped up and hard at the gym, but then become soft later, this makes no sense.

If I stay relaxed, I can move and squish any muscle in my body quite a bit, my pecs can almost feel like regular breast tissue if I can stay really relaxed.

The other alternative, is that you really are retaining an irregularly high amount of water, which means something isn't being processed right. You either are maintaining too hypertonic an environment in your cells or your kidneys are not excreting enough water due to some type of disfunction.

Unreal
12-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Everything you are saying sounds completely normal. It sounds like everytime you goto add some weight you freak out at the intial water weight that everyone gains when they become hyperglycogenated from all the carbs/cals from eating an excess. Your lean enough to see veins and vascuality with a good pump but not relaxed. That is normal, it just means there is more fat there covering up the veins. Even at 15% you should have pretty good vasucularity. Your simply not lean enough according to your post. Your going to gain water weight when bulking, and your going to be soft when relaxed. I'm at a much lower BF then you and I'm still squishy and soft when relaxed. That is perfectly normal.