PDA

View Full Version : Hip flares up during squats

patos
12-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Hey guys, I'm sure there's alot of people with that condition so I'm looking for input from people who have hips flaring up during squats, what they do to help it.

I've had this condition for as far as I remember, but I kept it under control with keeping my stance narrow. But now I'm starting to have a pretty big gut and have to widen my stance by a few inches each foot to be comfortable squatting.

Of course then my right hip starts flaring up. I foam roll almost every workout and stretch for around 30minutes before squatting or deadlifting, mostly the hips, ankles and hamstrings. But it still flares up. What do you all think?

J.C.
12-09-2009, 07:21 AM
I don't know if its exactly the same thing but I'm suffering some weird hip flexor tendinitis at the moment and started a thread about it in the weightlifting section.

For me, its because I was letting the knees slide forward at the bottom of the squat which pulls really hard on the tendons connecting to the hip. The result is "a marvellous dose of the weirdest tendinitis you have ever seen" to quote Mark Rippetoe. Now I'm very conscious about keeping the knees still and sitting back. I find it gets worse when I squat with a wide stance as well, but being so tall I have to take a wide stance.

Guys here suggested foam rolling and strengthening that area through lying leg raises and backward sled dragging.

patos
12-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the tip, I never really thought of strengthening the hips for that. Come to think of it I never really trained them directly, maybe that's why it flares up.

Yes I think when I say it flares up means the same thing as you say tendinitis. I'll try lying leg raises for a while and see what happens.

mastermonster
12-10-2009, 09:52 PM
If it continues, try squatting in briefs for a while if you're not already. If you don't want to stay in the briefs, give them a few weeks to let it heal some and try coming out of them again.

robchris
12-10-2009, 10:35 PM
If it continues, try squatting in briefs for a while if you're not already. If you don't want to stay in the briefs, give them a few weeks to let it heal some and try coming out of them again.

Agreed... Get you a good set of briefs bro. Does wonders for my hips when I squat wide.

ScottYard
12-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Drummer hit the nail on the head!

patos
12-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the input boys. I'm not big on gear, but I'll definitely consider briefs as a last option if my training is not getting better.