PDA

View Full Version : powerlifting and boxing

bigjohn510
12-09-2009, 09:56 AM
i started powerlifting in the summer but had been weightlifting before that and want to continue but i signed up to a boxing gym that i will get trained 3x a week any help on how to organize it i was thinking like this because i have school and can only get a ride to the gym 3x a week

me squat, boxing
rest
me bench, boxing
rest
de squat, boxing

the weightlifting before or after boxing?

JSully
12-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I used to box and I will say lift weights before boxing. After boxing you're so ****ing taxed all you want to do is lay down. And IMO, if you don't feel that way you aren't working hard enough. I used to lay on the mat for 15-20mins after my boxing workout (approx 2hours long) just to get up the energy to drive home.

Ideally, I would do workouts in the AM and boxing in the PM.

NickAus
12-09-2009, 02:15 PM
If you box when you are tired from weights your technique will really suffer, try AM for Weights PM for boxing.

If I wee to box again I would only do weights twice per week and spend most of my time training for boxing.

bigjohn510
12-09-2009, 07:12 PM
thats the problem i would do am and pm training but i have school and since im only 16 and cant drive

NickAus
12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
If boxing is the main focus just do 2 days weights.

If you want to be a powerlifter with good hands just get your trainer to mostly work on your your skills and some sparring with less time spent on skipping and road work.

Hope this helps.

robchris
12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Bigjohn,
Very difficult to do both bro... I would say focus on one or the other at a time. Maybe PL for x-amount of months then focus on boxing for x-amont of months. See which one you like best.
If you must do both together, either way will do, however, when I boxed I always did my skill training first(boxing) then lifted afterwards...

Just My .02
RC

slashkills
12-10-2009, 05:46 AM
im balancing both right now. i do boxing on days i dont weightlift and if i do happen to lift on boxing days its after boxing so technique doesnt suffer.

JSully
12-10-2009, 08:00 AM
How many days a week do you train?

You could do 3 days weights 3 days boxing and one day off...

never do shoulders before a boxing workout..

bigjohn510
12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
nick aus, yeah i do tell him that if i can skip the calisthenics they have us do and i only do one round of jump rope to warm up

j sully, right now i only go to the gym 3x a week

but thanks everyone for the help, this is a good forum

Fighter_15
12-10-2009, 09:52 AM
never do shoulders before a boxing workout..

Very good suggestion. My shoulders were always took a beating in boxing even when I wasn't lifting. It's hard to have enough energy and get enough calories needed to progress in lifting when you are burning so many calories in boxing. When I used to train I would lift in the morning or at school during the day and then go to boxing after school. You might be able to do both but I don't really recommend it. You'd be better off boxing and training light weights to assist your boxing.

JK1
12-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Its been years since I was in a ring of any type, but I really dont' think you can combine the two and be good at both of them. You can incorporate power training to be a better boxer and you can incorporate boxing work--ie speed bag for example for rehabing a shoulder or conditioning, but the sports are too different in my opinion to have an effective success at each at the same time.

robchris
12-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Its been years since I was in a ring of any type, but I really dont' think you can combine the two and be good at both of them. You can incorporate power training to be a better boxer and you can incorporate boxing work--ie speed bag for example for rehabing a shoulder or conditioning, but the sports are too different in my opinion to have an effective success at each at the same time.

Agreed... You can do both as I stated earlier but impossible to excell at both at the same time. I've competed in boxing & powerlifting for a number of years but never at the same time. Esp. boxing B/c its a very unforgiving, tough sport... Good luck bro, whatever you choose to do!