PDA

View Full Version : Elbow X-Ray results

NickAus
12-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi everyone

Got my elbow x-ray results

The report says I have 2 spurs, this is why it's grinding and sore

Have to see my doc for more info and also get an ultrasound to see the joint more clearly

Not sure if this is bad or just a minor issue?

Travis Bell
12-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Depends on where they are at. But I had a buddy with the same issue and he had a really difficult time getting a
doctor to remove them. It's quite an invasive procedure and most insurance plans don't cover it so most docs won't do it because the risk vs benefit is rather low. Your situation may be different though

NickAus
12-09-2009, 04:43 PM
The report is at home but I remeber it said One where the triceps attaches and not sure about the other.

allan3
12-12-2009, 11:11 AM
shat- that blows bro. i always worry about damaging my elbows with the heavy lifting(not sure how you got the spurs tho-)

NickAus
12-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah I'm pretty pissed, see the doc Monday so will see what he says.
Might have to have surgery.

vdizenzo
12-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Don't know much about the injury. Sending positive thoughts brother.

JK1
12-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah I'm pretty pissed, see the doc Monday so will see what he says.
Might have to have surgery.

I wouldn't cut into an elbow unless you have no other choice. The elbow is a complex joint. You cut into it and you change that joint forever.

I've got a couple of small ones in my right elbow. I ignore them.

NickAus
12-12-2009, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't cut into an elbow unless you have no other choice. The elbow is a complex joint. You cut into it and you change that joint forever.

I've got a couple of small ones in my right elbow. I ignore them.

Ok thanks, what did yours do to you?
Did you find it would click and grind? Anything help?

NickAus
12-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Don't know much about the injury. Sending positive thoughts brother.

Thank you very much Vinnie!

JK1
12-12-2009, 10:50 PM

Mine hurt, sort of a discomfort and loss of range of motion (I cant quite extend my right elbow out as far as my left one). For a long time I couldn't bend my right elbow enough to touch my thumb to my right anterior deltoid. I started going to a chiropractor who has done some funky weird stuff (in my mind) to me, but I have increased range of motion now---actually the most I've had in 3 or 4 years.

THe thing is ossification can occur in multiple areas of a complex joint like the elbow. You can have it in the tendonous attachments that cross the joint or that are near the joint--ie the triceps tendon or forearm tendons. That typically signifies a chronic stress or injury on the tendon and the body having tried to lay down boney material (ossification) as a means of dealing with that injury. You can have ossification of the ligaments--which is what I've got--again due to injury or chronic, repeated stress or you can have complete deterioration of the articular surface and periosteal ossification as the body tries to repair the destabilization of the joint by basically fusing it--the large painful bone spurs that you see when you see a swollen elbow of an old woman with arthritis. You can also have a combinaton of all three

Clicking and grinding can indicate some sort of loss of normal motion of the parts of the joint that are supposed to move with each other--ie the articular cartilage or other joint surfaces. Those would be one reason to consider opening the joint, if loss of function is severe or in an attempt to prevent further deterioration.

JK1
12-12-2009, 10:52 PM

For me it was really three fold:
1) NSAIDS
2) alternating hot and cold therapy
3) stretching and massaging the muscles of the forearm and the triceps. I think I have some tendonitis issues that when it flares up, the muscles spasm and that makes things hurt worse.

Like I said above, I'm seeing a chiropractor now who's done some funky stuff, but its working, so I'm not arguing. It still hurts, but I just ignore that. I'm happier with the change in ROM.

Cyrus Ford
12-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Hopefully it's minor so that you can get back to training 100% soon. Take care.

NickAus
12-13-2009, 02:05 PM
JK1 thank you for that!

I have the same thing with the loss of range of motion, talking to Doc today.

Hot cold has helped a little but not much, I will try massage to at least help blood flow to the area and get rid of some of the build up.

Thanks again very helpful.

NickAus
12-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Hopefully it's minor so that you can get back to training 100% soon. Take care.

Thanks Cyrus means a lot!

ELmx479
12-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I just had surgery on my right elbow in August. They removed 14 loose bodies from my elbow. The biggest one being 5mm. Overall, most of the pain and discomfort I had before is gone other than a pinch feeling I get sometimes during certain lifts. However, my range of motion is still limited.

NickAus
12-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I just had surgery on my right elbow in August. They removed 14 loose bodies from my elbow. The biggest one being 5mm. Overall, most of the pain and discomfort I had before is gone other than a pinch feeling I get sometimes during certain lifts. However, my range of motion is still limited.

Good to know, the report says two spurs and a loose body that will need an ultrasound to see clearly.

Can you bench heavy now?

robchris
12-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Nick,
Sorry to hear about the injury bro... I'm nursing a pec injury myself right now.

Get well soon & get back in the gym... Keep us posted!

ELmx479
12-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Good to know, the report says two spurs and a loose body that will need an ultrasound to see clearly.

Can you bench heavy now?

Yes, 90% of the time I have no issues. I just have to use a slightly slower rep speed and can not lock my arm out completely while benching and OH pressing. Just by a few degree's (I'm not doing half reps) This has been a problem for years for me and I finally got it done this year. The recovery was much quicker than I expected so if you need something done I wouldn't put it off. Good luck!

NickAus
12-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Nick,
Sorry to hear about the injury bro... I'm nursing a pec injury myself right now.

Get well soon & get back in the gym... Keep us posted!

Thanks Rob, Doc says no more benching but they always say that **** so I'll get a second opinion.

Good luck with the pec!

NickAus
12-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Yes, 90% of the time I have no issues. I just have to use a slightly slower rep speed and can not lock my arm out completely while benching and OH pressing. Just by a few degree's (I'm not doing half reps) This has been a problem for years for me and I finally got it done this year. The recovery was much quicker than I expected so if you need something done I wouldn't put it off. Good luck!

Now I just need to find out about the options I guess, the Doc says lifting will make it worse and that surgery does not always fix the problem wtf?

Blenderate
12-17-2009, 08:16 AM
I had two big spurs removed from my left elbow that were a result of a break in it when I was 10 years old.

Here's a video of me a few days after surgery:
ISLhFMcYl2E

I was back to training hard within a week:
TH1avgSAt1s

And back to competing within 3 months, including a 402 pound raw bench:
JzLvXuKyZJQ

So, you're not necessarily going to have a bad experience. I had a really great outcome and now I have less elbow pain and more ROM.

NickAus
12-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Thank you very much much for that!!

I will look for the best doctor in my area and get it done as there is no way I can lift with the way it is now.

Need to get it done as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

NickAus
12-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Thank you everyone for your help it is very good to hear it from lifters rather than doctors.

Andre518
12-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey Nick I wish you the best and hope that you can be back to 100% soon. Did the Doc say that the spurs were from lifting? I think I have some in my feet but I haven't been to a Doc to know for sure yet.

NickAus
12-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey Nick I wish you the best and hope that you can be back to 100% soon. Did the Doc say that the spurs were from lifting? I think I have some in my feet but I haven't been to a Doc to know for sure yet.

Thanks!!

Well he really did not have a whole lot to say so I will be seeing another Doctor.

He did say they are from overuse, 8 years ago my elbow made a tearing sound like jeans ripping when I was wrestling and I guess that has had something to do with the build up.

Staying positive, I know others have been through way more so it should work out once I can find a good surgeon in the new year.

Good luck with the feet bro!!