PDA

View Full Version : bicep pain from squatting

endymion88
12-09-2009, 06:08 PM
whenever i do anything lower than high bar squatting my left bicep gets a huge amount of torque placed on it that gives me a gigantic amount of pain that makes carrying through to the end of my workouts a nightmare. i have a rather narrow grip on the bar when i do go low bar which i think might be the problem but i'm not sure. anybody experience this and have any tips?

Raleighwood
12-09-2009, 06:15 PM
How much weight are you moving?

I had a similar pain in my left elbow... My problem was that I was wrapping my thumb around the bar. You want to have an open grip and your elbows pulled back and up to form a shelf on your posterior delts.

This happened to me when I was hitting PRs of 250ish @ 3x5. Started using this technique and I have no more pain @ 315.

If you are way beyond my weight; I'm not really one to give advice on it.

sambone
12-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Wow I was just about to make a thread about this. I'm having similar issues, though I have quite a wide grip. Something that helps alittle is putting my pinky under the bar, but besides that I need help and am open to suggestions. It's truely hell trying to finish up the day. I find that I get the pain from keeping my elbows down and staying tight.

SELK
12-09-2009, 06:22 PM
I had this problem very badly. Elbow sleeves do help somewhat.

In the end I just converted to a high bar style. After a few weeks I hit some major PRs as I found I was actually more efficient this way.

Sean S
12-09-2009, 06:22 PM
I would start by moving your grip out and see if that helps. I would also make sure my shoulder flexibility was up to par. If not, start stretching your shoulders daily. If these things don't seem to help, then you have to decide if a low bar position is absolutely necessary. I will likely never use a low bar position again. I have relatively long legs in relation to my torso, so with a low bar position my torso ends up practically horizontal to keep the bar centered over my foot. A higher bar position will keep your torso a little more upright.

endymion88
12-09-2009, 06:32 PM
keep this discussion going! i want lots of information to work with. thank you guys!

Notorious
12-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Make sure that your wrists are straight when gripping the bar. It really helps to use a thumbless grip as well and raise your elbows.

Bob
12-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Make sure that your wrists are straight when gripping the bar. It really helps to use a thumbless grip as well and raise your elbows.:withstupi:
This worked for me about a year ago...

endymion88
12-09-2009, 08:49 PM
by raising the elbows to you mean push them under the bar or kick them out

NickAus
12-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Move your grip right out, this should help.

endymion88
12-09-2009, 09:59 PM
yeah i tried that on my last set today but by the time i got to it my arm was hurting so bad already that there was no way i could tell the difference. hopefully friday isn't as painful.

sambone
12-09-2009, 10:02 PM
My grip can't go out much further. I think I need to work on flexibility.

theBarzeen
12-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I got this when I squatted with the bar low and hands narrow too....... the bar now sits on top of my traps when squatting, my hands are not all the way out, but pretty wide and with the more upright style you can get more out of your gear...... it was awkward at first but after the first few PR's it was all good