PDA

View Full Version : Transition from bodybuilder to powerlifter

n00bster
12-10-2009, 04:14 AM
In short been training like a bodybuilder (bouncing barbell off chest when benching, lifting arse from bench etc) and now train at a hardcore place with competing powerlifters. How do I prepare for this transition? Might look to compete but lifts are still like a bodybuilders and my techniques is not 100% spot on.

I have read Rippetoe's and have his book but I have nothing specific on powerlifting. I have the opportunity to train the big three every week, what is a good routine i can do to see me get good gains.

joey54
12-10-2009, 04:59 AM
Start training with the powerlifters and follow suit.

Lones Green
12-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Yup, listen to the guys stronger than you.

Most of all you need to worry about form. The biggest transition is going to be that, and getting used to heavier weights for lower reps.

JSully
12-10-2009, 08:07 AM
In short been training like a bodybuilder (bouncing barbell off chest when benching, lifting arse from bench etc) and now train at a hardcore place with competing powerlifters. How do I prepare for this transition? Might look to compete but lifts are still like a bodybuilders and my techniques is not 100% spot on.

I have read Rippetoe's and have his book but I have nothing specific on powerlifting. I have the opportunity to train the big three every week, what is a good routine i can do to see me get good gains.

you didn't train like a bodybuilder, you trained like a high school weightlifter that is inexperienced..

Look up vids of dorian yates, arnold schwarzenegger, frank zane.. they didn't bounce off their chest or lift their ass from the bench..

Aside from that, I agree that you should train with your competitive powerlifters. Listen to what they have to say and do exactly what they say. You don't want to try someone's patience who is taking time from their workout to help you out so like I said, pay close attention and learn all you can.

AdamBAG
12-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Dude, if you are training a powerlifting gym then just plain tell the guys there that you want to compete and ask if you can start training with them.

Just listen, spot, load, train hard, and keep your mouth shut. It's a tried and true method! :)

Tom Mutaffis
12-10-2009, 08:47 AM

As JSully mentioned, you were not training like a bodybuilder. Bodybuilding is about being in control of the weights and overloading your muscles with a lot of volume to produce hypertrophy; most bodybuilders actually have very good technique on their lifts.

If you are coming from a general fitness background and looking to improve your power lifts then I would recommend watching videos on Youtube, reading articles, altering your training, manipulating your diet to support mass/strength gains, and perhaps training with some of the powerlifters at your new gym.

Some popular powerlifting routines include:

- Westside
- Starting Strength or Practical Programming (Rippetoe)
- Wendlers 5/3/1

mastermonster
12-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Dude, if you are training a powerlifting gym then just plain tell the guys there that you want to compete and ask if you can start training with them.

Just listen, spot, load, train hard, and keep your mouth shut. It's a tried and true method! :)

Good advice. If these guys are experienced, they will be your greatest asset. The fastest way to get yourself uninvited to train with them is to start telling them that what advice they are giving you won't work for you or you'd rather do it another way. If you knew what you were doing as a powerlifter, you wouldn't be needing to learn what they know. So, the advice above is great. You learn more form listening than you ever will by talking. It's OK to ask a question if the don't understand, but don't question the advice. Or you won't be getting any for long. Take advantage of what you're lucky enough to be around. Good luck!

BigTallOx
12-10-2009, 08:52 PM
In short been training like a bodybuilder (bouncing barbell off chest when benching, lifting arse from bench etc)

Hmmm, none of the bodybuilders where I train lift like that. They lift very controlled, they just don't lift heavy singles, they seem to be focused most with time under tension, but they lift with pretty good technique.

and now train at a hardcore place with competing powerlifters. How do I prepare for this transition? Might look to compete but lifts are still like a bodybuilders and my techniques is not 100% spot on.

That's easy, focus on technique. Sounds like you should be doing that anyway.

I have the opportunity to train the big three every week, what is a good routine i can do to see me get good gains.

I do a modified westside barbell conjugate method, and have made pretty good progress with it.

Cmanuel
12-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Also go visit powerlifting watch and see if there are any powerlifting gyms in the area. I'm sure if you show enthusiasm you could easily hop in with a group that trains regularly. i did that about a year ago and the advice was amazing... most powerlifters were so eager to help too.

NickAus
12-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Speed training with or without bands/chains will really help you as you may be strong but slow from the type of training you have done.

The speed work will teach you to use more force which will make you lift more.

vdizenzo
12-11-2009, 05:37 AM
Don't prepare. Ask the powerlifters if you can train with them. Tell them you will be happy to spot and load. Shut up and listen. Watch every lift that's done closely. The quickest way for me to give up on a lifter is if they open their mouth while I'm telling him/her something. Remember their goal is not to train you, but to get themselves stronger. If you are an asset they will be willing to help. If your just an ass, you'll be treated as such.

mastermonster
12-11-2009, 09:57 AM
don't prepare. Ask the powerlifters if you can train with them. Tell them you will be happy to spot and load. Shut up and listen. Watch every lift that's done closely. The quickest way for me to give up on a lifter is if they open their mouth while i'm telling him/her something. Remember their goal is not to train you, but to get themselves stronger. If you are an asset they will be willing to help. If your just an ass, you'll be treated as such.

exactly!

Beverly McD.
12-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Don't prepare. Ask the powerlifters if you can train with them. Tell them you will be happy to spot and load. Shut up and listen. Watch every lift that's done closely. The quickest way for me to give up on a lifter is if they open their mouth while I'm telling him/her something. Remember their goal is not to train you, but to get themselves stronger. If you are an asset they will be willing to help. If your just an ass, you'll be treated as such.

That's the way it is in our gym.
Everybody busts their ass to help everybody else. To stay, being there means you can't be the only one to benefit, you have to be an asset to the other lifters. Not necessarily strong, but willing to spot, load, set suits etc. while you're working to get strong..
And you have to be coachable.

Strong Girl
12-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I agree with prior responses. I trained like a bodybuilder for several years and now have to literally block that out when I work with my powerlifting coach.
Best advice:Train with seasoned, skilled, and reputable strength athletes. Ask questions, research, and learn. For example tonight I asked: Why am I deadlifting with minibands on a platform? The reason? I need to improve my accommodating resistance in deadlift. My speed needs help and this technique will improve it.
I am currently 15 weeks out from a big meet. I have big goals, and big numbers to strive for, and having the correct support system is essential.:)

ThomasG
12-11-2009, 09:09 PM
OP, why did you think bodybuilders lifted like that? That sounds more like High school football players.

n00bster
12-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all the responses folks. To the BBers who felt insulted, I was just having a dig, many BBers have good form. :hello:

I will be doing a sheiko powerlifting routine (have plugged my maxes in the spreadsheet), I have used Westside approach in my days doing BBing training but I have read good stuff about Boris Sheiko's methods.