PDA

View Full Version : Are Donairs healthy?

HighlyFanatic
04-29-2002, 11:44 PM
sometimes i have no choice at lunch....im talking monster donair here

must be at least 5-7 slices of donair meat (maybe 70grams total?) i dunno. just lettuce, the pita bread, and donair sauce.

how many calories in it. and is the protein in it healthy?

Slim Schaedle
04-30-2002, 01:26 AM
Are you talking about donor cabobs?
If so, that's lamb meat, and very fatty I hear.

Tryska
04-30-2002, 08:15 AM
that's basically a gyro right?

the meat is a combination of lamb and beef, if i'm not mistaken, and it's very greasy. not sure where the meat comes from ont he animals, but it should be decent protein, it's just the fat content that's a major problem.

Beelzebubba
04-30-2002, 10:08 AM
A place near where I live has chicken donairs, you should check and see if that's available to you.

Slim Schaedle
04-30-2002, 12:29 PM
I think the only place cabobs/donairs/gyro belong in your diet are on a cheat day or right after you come out of the club after a good night's drinking...and if you're from England, I know you have no problem getting to a cabob shop.

body
04-30-2002, 01:39 PM
only the fat conent from the lamb should be a probelm as its not going to be the healthiest fats.

but lots of veg and the Gi will not be to high from the meal either.

D&G
05-01-2002, 06:08 AM
I have heard its around 70g fat for a lamb donner kebab - go with a chicken donner i think

Shankerr
05-01-2002, 07:19 PM
A friend of mine actually owns a donair shop near my place... The meat he uses is 100% extra lean beef, hardly any greaase at all.. Then lettuce, etc. is easy enough, and the pita.. The sauce though is basically condensed milk, sugar and some other crap, which is nasty. (and yet, tastes sooo good) If you could get the donair without the sauce, it'd be kind of like eating a beef sandqich or something, or at least keep the sauce to a minumum! I would have to agree though that the best time for a donair would be on a cheat day! try to avoid them on regular days.:)

Shane

body
05-02-2002, 11:36 AM
mosy donair meat is not that lean, thats why it tastes greasy. you can see the grease, it makes the paper go see through. also if you see doner meat in the shops, read the nutritional as you can see its high in fat.

oceanbaby
05-02-2002, 11:39 AM
As any good bodybuilder knows... if it tastes good then it's not good for you... except on cheat days. Sorry :)