PDA

View Full Version : for those looking for a stronger grip...

thewicked
12-11-2009, 08:22 AM
working your deadlits double overhand without a hook grip is one of the best ways to do it just like doing timed farmers' holds or farmers' walks!

my grip strength went from struggling with 495 to 565 wednesday thanks to training this way. In doing so I've noticed EVERYTHING has gotten easier to hold onto.

The slightest changes and incorporations into ones' training can lead to huge dividends. Think about it!

video soon too! I'm not sure what everyone here has or can do double overhand but without a hook grip the biggest pull i've ever heard of is 600 by wade gillingham.

Lones Green
12-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah, double overhand work will make your grip stronger for sure.

I messed around with this just yesterday and went 345 x 6 with a fat bar (not an extremely thick one, but my fingers didn't touch each other)

I work delivering 5 gallon bottles of water 5 days a week, and its honestly been the best thing for my grip strength. I think I could hold on to a couple of those things forever.

IronDiggy
12-11-2009, 09:04 AM
I haven't really had a problem. But I don't really deadlift anything worth noting yet. I usually just try and make as much of my accessory work straining on my grip as possible.

BigTallOx
12-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I've started pulling double overhand every ME deadlift session. I work up until my grip fails then I switch to mixed grip. I haven't tried hook grip yet, but some of my lifting buddies say that I should, not sure why though. Is hook grip good for big hand guys?

I'm not sure what everyone here has or can do double overhand but without a hook grip the biggest pull i've ever heard of is 600 by wade gillingham.

Really? I bet eventually I'll be able to do 600 double overhand.

JSully
12-11-2009, 10:24 AM
you can also do the lighter sets with a thumbless grip..

BigTallOx
12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
you can also do the lighter sets with a thumbless grip..

Yup, I do that too ( it reduces my range of motion, lol ).