PDA

View Full Version : Cramping problem, need advice.

Morgan McPherson
12-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I have been cramping regularly at my bodyweight. I am 5'6" and 220lbs, which is pretty good size for my body. The thing is I eat on average 2 bananas a day, I am not on creatine, I drink a pretty good amount of water, my body fat is easily 16%. I could really use some advice on what works for you guys. I got a really bad cramp at the gym last night, and got one on my hamstring while I was sleeping, very painful. I need help! :help:

IronDiggy
12-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Try Stretching and foam rolling? I know I get lotsa cramping when I start slacking off on that.

JK1
12-11-2009, 11:24 AM
I have been cramping regularly at my bodyweight. I am 5'6" and 220lbs, which is pretty good size for my body. The thing is I eat on average 2 bananas a day, I am not on creatine, I drink a pretty good amount of water, my body fat is easily 16%. I could really use some advice on what works for you guys. I got a really bad cramp at the gym last night, and got one on my hamstring while I was sleeping, very painful. I need help! :help:

I have the same problems.. watch your potassium intake relative to your sodium intake and increase your water. A western diet is notoriously high in sodium and deficient in potassium. Humans (and primates in general) as an omnivorous species have kidneys that are designed to conserve sodium and expel potassium. It is thought that this can lead to chronic depletion of body reserves over time. Supplementation with more potassium rich foods while decreasing sodium intake can make a big difference with cramping issues. Also watch your caffiene intake, caffiene has a dieuretic effect that can lead to muscle cramps in some individuals.

Barbaccio
12-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Bananas are good, but not the be all end all. Get yourself a potassium supplement and take it every morning. Drink a big glass of water before you go to bed at night. I've been doing this for months now and I've felt a world of difference.

dammstrate
12-11-2009, 12:28 PM
I sweat a LOT when I work out or exercise. This stuff below is the only
thing that kept me from cramping when I was playing semi-pro football
during the summer heat.

Apparently it's the magnesium that does the trick, and no I don't sell it
or make any money from it. It just works.

http://www.elytesport.com/
http://www.elytesport.com/testimonials/elyte.html

Good Luck.

thewicked
12-11-2009, 01:15 PM
potassium supps...and actually i believe potatoes have more potassium than bananas. Foam rolling(myotherapy) and stretching are both great for restoring even muscle tension and preventing tight spots. It also restores range of motion and the proper length/tension relationship in your muscles as well for optimum performance. Water, quality vitamin/mineral supps, and prevention all should help with the problem.

if it's in your sleep..have less stressful dreams lol