PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Video by Dave Tate on false grip

Travis Bell
12-11-2009, 01:58 PM
OOBKGesyFwk

I found this very interesting.

I've had some pec issues in the near past leading up to my last meet, mostly just some straining, nothing too major that ice and rest didn't take care of.

however that said, I found Daves thoughts on squeezing the bar very interesting. I squeeze the bar extremely hard and while I'm going to keep using full grip in my shirt, I'm actually going to try false grip raw for awhile and see what happens.

Only thing I didn't agree on was that with the gangster shirts now, that you'll dump it automatically with false grip. Vin has used false grip forever as I know a couple others do too and he's never had a problem with it. However that doesn't mean everyone should go out and try it in their shirts lol.

Kiaran
12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Good vid. Thanks for the post, man.

SELK
12-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I dump it enough with a regular grip :D

I trained with a guy once who swore by the false grip. He said he never had a problem, but at a couple of meets he was asked to use a regular grip. It freaked me out a bit the last inch or two in a shirt, thats for sure.

JSully
12-11-2009, 03:07 PM
I like a false grip better than thumbs over, personally... I feel I can tuck my elbows better and get more power off the chest which transfers into speed and lockout ability.

I don't use/train with the false grip because the federation I compete in won't allow it.. ****ty

robchris
12-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Great vid... I started a theard on this a while back and found out quite a bit of guys use false grip. I usually bench raw w/ the false grip however w/ a shirt I use a full grip.

I agree w/ Dave on just about everything he said... The guy knows his s***

- Travis, do you think full grip attributes to more pec strains/ tears? I had a partial tear while benching w/ a full grip raw & never had a problem BP w/ a false grip.
RC

Travis Bell
12-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Honestly it's hard to say from my perspective right now. My initial response though would be that there are too many things that can go into a pec tear though, such as technique, training and diet

Makes a ton of sense to me though about the squeezing thing. I squeeze the bar very hard so I'm looking forward to going back to false grip to see what happens.

OGROK
12-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Honestly it's hard to say from my perspective right now. My initial response though would be that there are too many things that can go into a pec tear though, such as technique, training and diet

Makes a ton of sense to me though about the squeezing thing. I squeeze the bar very hard so I'm looking forward to going back to false grip to see what happens.

Travis, is the thumbless grip still popular at WSBB for raw training as Dave says in the video or has that passed?

Tom Mutaffis
12-12-2009, 05:59 AM
What about using a thicker bar or axle for training? That would hypothetically prevent you from 'squeezing'.

I used to use a false grip on CGBP but switched back to regular and didn't notice much of a difference.

Travis Bell
12-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Travis, is the thumbless grip still popular at WSBB for raw training as Dave says in the video or has that passed?

Nope. Only Matt Smith uses it

Travis Bell
12-12-2009, 06:02 AM
What about using a thicker bar or axle for training? That would hypothetically prevent you from 'squeezing'.

I used to use a false grip on CGBP but switched back to regular and didn't notice much of a difference.

I would assume that since it was already close grip, which is a tricep dominant form of benching, it probably wasn't a noticeable difference

vdizenzo
12-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I did exactly what Dave Tate said not to do last night. Maybe a false grip is ok when you add chains? Chains make the whole lift more stable, right? :moon:

wX8UGE7403M

Travis Bell
12-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Vincent that was some stupid strong work there.

bencher8
12-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Looks like the shirt work is coming along Vin! When you planning on hitting a meet?

View 1
12-12-2009, 02:02 PM
This is off the subject a little bit not trying to hijack your thread travis.

I have never competed or been to a meet, but I am trying to understand this, my gym has several different barbells, I am trying to figure out which type of barbell ( where is the smooth part of the bar at ) that you use when you compete? In that video Dave is showing that you have to cover the smooth part of the bar which I did not know about either.

Travis Bell
12-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Your hand has to cover the ring, not the smooth part. The smooth part is considered to be the segments between the knurling in the middle. As far as which bars in your gym are competition bars, you'd have to measure the distance between the rings

View 1
12-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Your hand has to cover the ring, not the smooth part. The smooth part is considered to be the segments between the knurling in the middle. As far as which bars in your gym are competition bars, you'd have to measure the distance between the rings

Ok thank you travis, I said smooth part but the rings is what I ment.

vdizenzo
12-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Looks like the shirt work is coming along Vin! When you planning on hitting a meet?

Thanks Paul, slow and steady. I finally think I found a routine that works for me. I'm planning on the Lexen in Feb.