PDA

View Full Version : Mendelson's bench this weekend?

theBarzeen
12-13-2009, 09:42 AM
does anyone have any video of Scot Mendelson's 1031 this weekend?

or even the misses at over 1100?

I heard he lifted at a lighter weight too.....???

robchris
12-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Mendy missed 1100 back in August of this year... You can see the vid on youtube or WBB forum.

I cant find any vid on the 1031 though... I read he had a problem w/ his lock-out due to not being able to get full extension on one arm.

At any rate, the guys one of the greatest benchers ever, and consistanly smokes 1000+ on the bench. Congrates!
RC

robchris
12-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Video is now up on PL watch... And he did it @ 275!

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
12-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Ask & you shall receive: http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/13778#new

Travis Bell
12-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I can't seem to find the video of his 1025, but I could swear his arms both locked out fine in that one

Regardless, getting reds and then talking to judges so they change it to whites is a little shady.

I know people are saying it came unlocked at the end because it's so heavy, but Ryan Kennelly never had a problem holding it at the top

WMKiBdhnYlA

I'm not picking on Mendelson, but something about that doesn't look quite right. Maybe I'm not remembering his 1025 bench accurately.

Travis Bell
12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Scots 1025 is right around the 8:00 mark here.

Looks pretty even to me, but the video isn't super clear I guess

9JttWLlgbw0

MarcusWild
12-16-2009, 11:11 AM
To me, the 1031 looks very sloppy. He heaves it and presses it very straight blowing through where he should have started to flare and drift back. It looks like the bar dips, then he starts to flare. It looks like he ratchets it to lockout. The discussion about whether it was locked or not is irrelevant. It gets reds before it even got to that point.

Necrias
12-16-2009, 11:19 AM
If I remember right Mendy's 1025 was a thing of beauty... and the vid is a tough to tell but it doesn't look locked to me. I have a training partner that actually locks out lower than where he started due to compression, but his elbows are at less than a 5 degree angle, meaning it is locked out. I just think Mendy was sloppy on the press and couldn't lock it.

Barbaccio
12-16-2009, 12:02 PM
I can't tell from the angle I saw but I agree that the elbows don't look locked out. Regardless, my problem is that he had to go and have the judges OVERTURN the decision. That's my only issue. The bench really doesn't look that bad to me otherwise. Other than a bad angle video that the elbows look questionable on, I can't trash the bench. It looks like he hit it pretty legitimately this time.

Travis Bell
12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Agreed with all of you. He got reds, it should have stayed reds

HeavyBomber
12-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Agreed with all of you. He got reds, it should have stayed reds

Agreed. It was not a good lift.

Travis Bell
12-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Agreed. It was not a good lift.

just to clarify, I was agreeing to the fact that the matter of whether or not his lift was good wasn't the main issue, rather the fact that he got reds initially, went and talked with the judges and got it overturned to whites

HeavyBomber
12-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Ok.

So agreed on that.

Beverly McD.
12-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Travis, under most circumstances I would agree with you. Having said that though, I've red lighted a lifter for not locking an arm out before, then overturned it.
Lifters tell me about an elbow (or whatever) in the hall the night before, or in the warm-up room, or at a restaurant, or on the elevator etc.
Sometimes they assume because I've judged them several times and they've had the injury every time that I should remember by now.
A lot of time I DO remember. But not every time.
If I make a mistake that's brought to my attention (particularly before the lifter leaves the platform) I'll correct it if I can.

I wasn't at this meet. I'm not saying this is what happened there, because I don't know. But if the only reason a lifter is denied a lift is due to judging error/forgetfulness, the lifter shouldn't punished for that.

SEOINAGE
12-16-2009, 01:22 PM
it looks like his right arm wasn't locking and he twisted and raised his right shoulder to compensate then the bar started to dip on the right side. I think he could have nailed that lift, but had an issue there at the end.

Schameson
12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
I was at that meet. I don't have any additional video, but yeah he was red-lighted for unlocking his arms at the top. After 5-10 minutes of speaking to the refs and looking at video on the videographer's camera, the refs overturned their decision and approved the lift. He jumped to 1130, missing it twice and dumping it onto his belly once. I would say he's lucky he didn't crush anything with that kind of weight on his belly. To paraphrase what he said afterwards in the warm-up area "it wasn't heavy, I just felt it slipping."

It was a little annoying too since after one of my training partners dumped the bar at the end of the first flight of squats mendelson insisted the gym take down the safety straps they put up before the second flight, then told any lifters that if they let the bar hit the ground he would DQ them, and that if they didn't like that they could DQ themselves with no refund. Then of course it takes 6+ people to pull the bar off of the guy and they have nowhere to put it except the floor.

He said he lifted in the 275s and during the awards ceremony he put his weight at 296, saying he had food poisoning earlier in the week and lost 23 lbs.

MarcusWild
12-16-2009, 03:15 PM
What was going on with the rest of the lifters while this "instant replay" and "discussion" occurred? Did they stop the meet for it? That'd suck if you were the next lifter.

The judges should have refused to look at the replay since that's not part of the rule book. I guarantee Joe Average benching 400 lbs wouldn't be able to get the judges to review his lift on video. Why should one lifter get special treatment?

I doubt you'll see another top lifter stop a meet to have judges review his lift on video. Plus, that angle isn't even that good. The judges had MUCH better angles from their chairs. Why use that video to over turn the lift?

robchris
12-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Travis, under most circumstances I would agree with you. Having said that though, I've red lighted a lifter for not locking an arm out before, then overturned it.
Lifters tell me about an elbow (or whatever) in the hall the night before, or in the warm-up room, or at a restaurant, or on the elevator etc.
Sometimes they assume because I've judged them several times and they've had the injury every time that I should remember by now.
If I make a mistake that's brought to my attention (particularly before the lifter leaves the platform) I'll correct it if I can.

I wasn't at this meet. I'm not saying this is what happened there, because I don't know. But if the only reason a lifter is denied a lift is due to judging error/forgetfulness, the lifter shouldn't punished for that.
Agreed... Apparently Scot informed them prior to lifting about not being able to fully extend his right elbow. Maybe thats the reason it took a little longer to get the rack command? Not the mans fault if they forgot and they're late on calling "rack"... IMHO
RC

Travis Bell
12-16-2009, 04:41 PM

I respect that for sure.

I'm always cautious in these types of situations, but I just can't seem to get past his 1025 bench being picture perfect and his 1031, he's got an elbow injury that makes it extremely apparant when the bar is so angled like that. Yet we're told he's had an injury for quite some time now?

Point being, if a couple referees decide on their own to reverse a lift, that's cool. But when they don't until the lifter goes up and argues with them and they use the videographer's tape to review it, it just doesn't seem right.

If it was that easy, couldn't he have hit it on his second attempt?

And to the above poster, I was told (second hand mind you) by some who were there that Mendelson did not inform the judges of his elbow problem until after the lift.

Like I said though, I could be totally off base here and he does have a legit elbow problem.

fasteddy
12-16-2009, 05:26 PM
i am not a fan of mendleson, saw him bench several meets and none locked out, his best clean lift was done raw low 700's, he is a dick at meets,has failed w/ 1000 or over more than anyone else, his claim to fame is TRIED or handled 1,000 more than anyone else, best clean and lockout with that kind of weight was Gene Rychlak, Ryan Kennaly also is great.

Schameson
12-16-2009, 06:46 PM
What was going on with the rest of the lifters while this "instant replay" and "discussion" occurred? Did they stop the meet for it? That'd suck if you were the next lifter.

The judges should have refused to look at the replay since that's not part of the rule book. I guarantee Joe Average benching 400 lbs wouldn't be able to get the judges to review his lift on video. Why should one lifter get special treatment?

I doubt you'll see another top lifter stop a meet to have judges review his lift on video. Plus, that angle isn't even that good. The judges had MUCH better angles from their chairs. Why use that video to over turn the lift?

Actually that's exactly what happened. I was the third squat in the second flight and after the first flight Mendelson took 5 minutes to lecture the lifters and another 5 to lecture the spotters. So much for timing my warm-ups. I was afraid I was gonna miss my opener since it had been 30+ minutes since my last warm-up because of that, then there was another delay during the replay.

Fuzzy
12-16-2009, 07:46 PM
To me, the 1031 looks very sloppy. He heaves it and presses it very straight blowing through where he should have started to flare and drift back. It looks like the bar dips, then he starts to flare. It looks like he ratchets it to lockout. The discussion about whether it was locked or not is irrelevant. It gets reds before it even got to that point.

Those kinds of weights tend to have a mind of their own.

bencher8
12-16-2009, 08:27 PM
I am not stating whetther I think the lift was good or not. Here is something I dont understand...I didnt know there was such a thing as video replay in powerlifting? How does he get to call the guys over and replay a vid to the judge to get a call overturned? Once the call is made, its made.....isnt that what we tell the internet judges that we all get pissed at? If he can do it at the meet, then all internet judges were just validated.......crap

JK1
12-16-2009, 10:05 PM
I am not stating whetther I think the lift was good or not. Here is something I dont understand...I didnt know there was such a thing as video replay in powerlifting? How does he get to call the guys over and replay a vid to the judge to get a call overturned? Once the call is made, its made.....isnt that what we tell the internet judges that we all get pissed at? If he can do it at the meet, then all internet judges were just validated.......crap

I've been thinking the same thing after watching the video. I was hoping it would die down and the internet dip****s wouldn't notice. This may be the opening of a opening a huge can of worms.

george okunev
12-16-2009, 10:32 PM
I use to be a fan of mendelsons. I still consider him one of the best raw and equipped benchers of all time. But it seems that of late he brings more negative to the meets that he attends then positive. I hope I am wrong. I hope its just a bad patch of time. I keep looking at the lift and its hard to call it either way for me. I think in the end we have to stick with the final decision, the lift is good and he is the new owner of a 275lbs benchpress world record. Good for him. I think the judging could have been handled better. Tell Mendy to see you after the meet or during the transition from bench to deadlift. Dont hold the other guys up. I think the best thing out of the whole situation is Rob Luyandos responce. Well done Mendy in taking my record, I am taking it back though. Well done Rob.

Davey321
12-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Not to hijack the thread. After watching the video of Scott Mendelsons bench pressing 1,0301lbs, I didn't realise that there was another gym in my home town Camarillo.

Well, time to go back under the rock where I live. :)

BodyByGamma
12-17-2009, 01:03 AM
The man to claim strongest bench presser in the world should have the record raw and shirted and Mendy owns one undisputed, and is disputed holding the other by a few lbs, a little time and stronger gear will easily solve that problem IMO. Bottom line is he still moved the weight, maybe his arm was legitimately screwed up, handling that much weight then dropping weight is killer on the joints. The real question to me is how the hell Mendy got down to 275???

HeavyBomber
12-17-2009, 07:42 AM
The camera angle is very poor which leads to my question:

In a comp like this and especially on a world record attempt, why is there not an official cam set-up with a decent angle?

Beverly McD.
12-17-2009, 07:50 AM
It is not a world record. It was held at a state meet.

Cmanuel
12-17-2009, 08:09 AM
He said he lifted in the 275s and during the awards ceremony he put his weight at 296, saying he had food poisoning earlier in the week and lost 23 lbs.

On PL watch he has been claiming he lost 40 lbs...... yeah, right, such a lie.

Ask & you shall receive: http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/13778#new

On a side note, that thread is a good example of why i dont venture to PL watch that often. way too much shi* talking going on there for my tastes.

But seriously, he got the reds, he keeps the reds. . Thats just f'in lame that they overturned it with "video evidence". Why does he get special attention with rule bending????

HeavyBomber
12-17-2009, 08:18 AM
It is not a world record. It was held at a state meet.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought it was the most ever lifted in the 275 lb. class and sanctioned by the A.P.F.
Anyway, I still ask the question.

Beverly McD.
12-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Oh I'm sorry, I thought it was the most ever lifted in the 275 lb. class and sanctioned by the A.P.F.
Anyway, I still ask the question.

In the sense I think you mean HB there is no such thing as "official" video. A meet director can do a couple of things;
Find a videographer/camera crew that will work for the profits he can make selling his pictures to the lifters. In which case the crew will often ask that no pictures or video be taken by the lifters friends or family because it cuts out all of his profits. As you can imagine this does not go over well with lifters.

Hire a videographer/camera crew for a flat fee. In this case the fee is usually passed on to the lifter by upping the entry fees or the spectator entry fee. Again, not well received.

HeavyBomber
12-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, how about simply a good quality camera on a tripod at a good angle? No 'crew required', no major cost acquired... It doesn't seem really difficult. I also know there is no 'instant replay' provision in the A.P.F.rulebook. hmmm...lol

Travis Bell
12-17-2009, 09:16 AM
It is considered an "all time" record. which simply means that it's the most weight lifted across all federations.

It was just something created by PLW that keeps track of that sorta thing

As far as the camera, i think it's a really bad idea. Mostly because every lifter will want their lift reviewed by camera, meets already take long enough, this would easily extend the time far beyond what it needs to be.

Seriously, you have 3 guys staring at one person, it's not that difficult

Beverly McD.
12-17-2009, 09:22 AM
The tripod idea works to some degree on the smaller lifters. On the big weights it usually doesn't work at all.
Squats for example... Say I've got a lifter who weighs around 300 pounds and he's got 1000+ on his back. I've got 5 spotters, often over 300 pounds themselves, and they are all over the lifter, trying to cover him without tripping him or themselves up.
Already I'm looking through 1500-1800 pounds of meat LOL.
I literally end up on my hands and knees crawling on the platform to get in to see everything required on the lift. There's no way to have a camera directly beside me. Put it anywhere else and it may as well be a camera that somebody is using while standing on a chair across the room.

Lots of good ideas get floated around. The problem is they look good in writing, but trying to put them to practical use is another story. If people keep thowing out ideas I figure sooner or later something workable will turn up though. :)

Beverly McD.
12-17-2009, 09:25 AM
It is considered an "all time" record. which simply means that it's the most weight lifted across all federations.

It was just something created by PLW that keeps track of that sorta thing

As far as the camera, i think it's a really bad idea. Mostly because every lifter will want their lift reviewed by camera, meets already take long enough, this would easily extend the time far beyond what it needs to be.

Seriously, you have 3 guys staring at one person, it's not that difficult

LOL! :hello: That's my theory too. It's not rocket science.
And nobody wants to still be lifting at midnight.

chris mason
12-17-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't know Scott, but his sister is very nice. With that said, the lift was bad.

HeavyBomber
12-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Yeah, good points.

So a camera is no good for judging, I just want a better look at it as a spectator.

Beverly McD.
12-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Yeah, good points.

So a camera is no good for judging, I just want a better look at it as a spectator.

I appreciate your interest HB.
A lift can be textbook perfect, but still not be a legal lift.
On the other hand, a lifter can look like he's never been under a bar before the lift looks so bad, BUT he never actually does anything that disqualifies the lift.

Beverly McD.
12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't know Scott, but his sister is very nice. With that said, the lift was bad.

I know them well enough to speak to, and they've always been pleasant to deal with. In all the years I've been doing this I've never had any real conflict with a lifter. They don't always agree with my calls no doubt, but I treat them respectfully and they have always treated me repectfully in return.

Off the platform? Who the hell knows! LOLOL

bencher8
12-17-2009, 11:07 AM
How come nobody seems to answer the question about why video replay was used to overturn the judges decisions? as far as I know this isnt possible....I know in my last meet a lifter had video that looked like he had a good lift that was turned down by the judges...why didnt he get a chance to show it to the judges?

and video angle can always come into play, even with a bench. I have taken video of myself in the gym, doing a lift I KNOW I didnt lock out, but when looking at the vid...it looks like I did.

Lift good or not, video cant be used to overturn calls....thats my only gripe about all this controversy.

Beverly McD.
12-17-2009, 11:18 AM
How come nobody seems to answer the question about why video replay was used to overturn the judges decisions? as far as I know this isnt possible....I know in my last meet a lifter had video that looked like he had a good lift that was turned down by the judges...why didnt he get a chance to show it to the judges?

and video angle can always come into play, even with a bench. I have taken video of myself in the gym, doing a lift I KNOW I didnt lock out, but when looking at the vid...it looks like I did.

Lift good or not, video cant be used to overturn calls....thats my only gripe about all this controversy.

It's my understanding (again, I wasn't there) that the judges looked at the video as a courtesy, and did not base their decision on it. They were all in agreement that the lift was good other than the issue with lockout. The judges decided that was their error, not the lifters.
Lifters or their family/training partners often push a video in my face, LOL, and of course I look. But I always let them know that my looking won't change anything, my call will stand.

I absolutely agree with about video's in the gym. What you see ain't always what you get. :)

Lones Green
12-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah, forget video cameras set up at meets. If you want the footage for your personal enjoyment or to help improve your form, fine. Get someone to do it for you. Video is NOT a reliable source to overturn judge decisions. I think that is sketchy.

Plus you'll get the videos posted online, and get even more of this "blah blah squat was high" And there's enough of that now, haha

bencher8
12-17-2009, 03:13 PM
but in this case they looked at the video and then changed their decision. in your case, you looked at the videos and then left the decision the same..in this one, they looked at the vids and changed thier decision. I dont think thats something that should be ok....

fasteddy
12-17-2009, 03:57 PM
but in this case they looked at the video and then changed their decision. in your case, you looked at the videos and then left the decision the same..in this one, they looked at the vids and changed thier decision. I dont think thats something that should be ok....

u can best believe that if it was a 400 bench they wouldn't bother. B.S. !

Rob Luyando
12-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I smell poop!

KarstenDD
12-17-2009, 05:59 PM
You look like poop!

Rob Luyando
12-18-2009, 07:36 AM
You look like poop!

I am sorry Adonis.............