PDA

View Full Version : Hernia??

bojackson
12-14-2009, 07:47 AM
What is the usual protocol on getting these fixed? I have one right above my belly button. It pokes out some but doesnt bother me. Asked a family doctor about it and he said if it isnt bothering me dont worry with it. Can it become a major problem? I entered the strongest of the weak ones and was unable to finish due to my job(im a fball coach and we made the playoffs) so my lifting was limited. I am about to ramp it up on the big 3. Am i ok to go foward?

Tom Mutaffis
12-14-2009, 10:19 AM
What is the usual protocol on getting these fixed? I have one right above my belly button. It pokes out some but doesnt bother me. Asked a family doctor about it and he said if it isnt bothering me dont worry with it. Can it become a major problem? I entered the strongest of the weak ones and was unable to finish due to my job(im a fball coach and we made the playoffs) so my lifting was limited. I am about to ramp it up on the big 3. Am i ok to go foward?

I would make sure to wear a belt for any heavy movements and avoid certain exercises. A friend of mine had the surgery and he was out of work for 4-5 days and was back training again after a few weeks.

Once you have the surgery you will never have the problem again though; they use a steel mesh to patch up your belly button area.

Beverly McD.
12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
My husband Mike had 3 hernia's. He squatted 1003 in the gym both before and after the surgery.

vdizenzo
12-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Once you have the surgery you will never have the problem again though; they use a steel mesh to patch up your belly button area.

Not necessarily true. I am putting that steel mesh to the test, and it's losing.

vdizenzo
12-14-2009, 12:34 PM
You'll know when you need surgery. It hurts like mad when it strangulates.

Beverly McD.
12-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Not necessarily true. I am putting that steel mesh to the test, and it's losing.

When Mike had his done, he brought the guy a picture of himself with 1003 on his back. He guessed (correctly) that the doctor had no real idea of the strain that would be put on the mesh insert. The doctor ended up either double or triple reinforcing it ( can't remember. ain't getting old a blast? LOL). If you have problems with yours V, it might be something for you to try.

EmptyBarbell
12-14-2009, 02:57 PM
After two hernia operations ( on lower groin on each side) the surgeries and recovery are a pain in the rear!....most doctors will tell you to either use the mesh patch repair although they can perform it via a small incision in the belly area ( so I was told) although most prefer the 'traditional slice, install, glue and stitch' method...I had two patches installed.. so far so good. then again I haven't strained like an ape trying to pass two peach pits either!.. uck..

The traditional slice, stuff and glue& stitch took about 4-5 weeks before I was cleared to return to the gym then with the cautionary advice of BE GENTLE and EASY..

Either way.. I'd get a couple to medical opinions before deciding.. although it seems cut and dry.. hernia's can create alot of issues .. google it for more then listen to a good surgeon!..
Good luck.:ninja:

JK1
12-14-2009, 04:53 PM

don't say that.... crap... Now I'm worried about mine.

They don't always initially do a mesh either. I basically had to tell the surgeon who did mine that a mesh was appropriate and that is how he was going to fix my hernia. I think a powerlifter needs to be 100% clear with your surgeon that you WILL be lifting heavy weights after the surgery.