PDA

View Full Version : Pasta with sauce alternative (help)

Jason_5251
12-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Within the last couple of weeks I have been revising 35 years of bad eating. This leads me to a question that is important to me.

Whole wheat pasta- I have never been a tomato sauce fan, I will eat it, but would prefer a different topping. I used to put.....butter...on mine during my careless years. lol

Do you guys/girls have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Beverly McD.
12-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Other than butter and/or cheese, which would pretty much defeat the purpose LOL, I can't think of anything.
You may want to forget about the pasta and substitute something more appealing to you.

Jason_5251
12-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the response, I was afraid of your answer and I guess your wright! But I think I may have thought of something....I will try to concocted a pasta salad of sorts w/ grilled chicken, salmon or steak and raw spinach and play with the olive oil and various seasonings. Thanks for spurring a thought! lol

Beverly McD.
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM
If it's good let us know :hello:

Unreal
12-14-2009, 12:48 PM
The difference between whole wheat and white pasta is so negligble I would eat whatever you think taste better. Whole wheat may have a bit more fiber. You can get higher protein pastas if you must have pasta. Honestly I pretty much completely avoid it.

Mercuryblade
12-14-2009, 01:47 PM
The difference between whole wheat and white pasta is so negligble I would eat whatever you think taste better. Whole wheat may have a bit more fiber. You can get higher protein pastas if you must have pasta. Honestly I pretty much completely avoid it.

Seconded.

It's way too easy to over-indulge on pasta.

Jason_5251
12-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks all, I think I like the "I pretty much completely avoid it" answer the best! I have never been a pasta fan. I will find something else to substitute it for.

Irish Pilot
12-14-2009, 06:19 PM
A few pumps of zero calorie "I Cant Believe Its Not Butter" spray and some light grated parmesan-romano.

If desired, add chopped chicken breast and some Mrs. Dash no salt zero cal seasoning.

Harris
12-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Here's one way that I prepare pasta:

Strain the pasta and immediately drizzle some olive oil over top. Sprinkle some salt, garlic powder, Mrs. Dash Original Blend, and, if you have any, fresh chopped parsley. Toss and enjoy.

J.C.
12-15-2009, 05:25 PM
This is against the grain of this thread, but the fact that its so easy to eat a lot of pasta makes it an amazing food when trying to gain weight.

If you're a real hardgainer with no bodyfat and need 5000 calories then two enormous bowls of pasta will really help get you there.

A little olive oil and loads of raw spinach is good if you don't want the sauce.

Yeti Sandwich
12-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Pesto!

Progress
12-18-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm Italian by descent and could not live a healthy life without pasta and bread (at least mentally).

I don't understand the bad rap it's getting here. Most high-protein, high calorie diets include high carbohydrate. Good thing about pasta is that it's all glucose, no fructose, so you're getting healthy carbs. Yeah, you'll get more fiber in whole wheat pasta, but as others have mentioned, the fiber content difference isn't great.

And what's so wrong with some butter and cheese drizzled over it? It's not like you're frying it or putting syrup on it.

If you're concerned with having a lower carb diet, then just eat pasta at times when your body needs it most (carb loading and post workout).

Enjoy the good, healthy food that years of culinary tradition has brought us!