PDA

View Full Version : calorie cutting and muscle cramps

Jason_5251
12-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Hey guys/girls...I am fairly new to the workout scene and have a question for some of you long timers. I have been working out and running for about a month and recently decided to cut my caloric intake. Work outs and running have been ok in the last week but yesterday everything seemed off. My A.M. work out was mediocre at best ( I just felt weak) but on my run last night my legs really starting cramping to the point that I ran only 1/4 of what I usually run, which is 2 mi, and had to walked the rest. For now I want to shed about 20-25lbs and see what I have before I drop the cardio and start on a bulk.

I have cut my daily total by 600 +/- to about 1800-1900 cals but yesterday my cal. total was unusually low at 690 cals. pre-run and before dinner. I felt so bad lastnight that I really did not eat much dinner which would have been about 8 oz of lasagna.

Yesterdays' total intake read like this prior to my run.
903 cals
17g fat
113 carbs
60 proteins

My weight is 235, 35yrs old.

Is my calorie cutting finally catching up? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ryuage
12-15-2009, 10:26 AM
drink ... more.... water....

on top of that a bit of extra sodium and potassium wouldn't hurt

Allen Cress
12-15-2009, 12:19 PM
You can only cut calories soo low before your body basically goes into survival mode and starts holding onto fat. You need to have a prpoper diet and training protocol to fit your needs. You want to train the fat off not starve it off.

My mentor has a great saying "force the body and it will react, coax the body and it will respond.

Invain
12-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Whenever I get really bad cramps, usually in my legs, potassium takes care of it. Most people eat banana's for potassium, if you're on a low carb diet however, eat spinach.

Allen Cress
12-15-2009, 03:27 PM
The biggest reason for cramps is lack of sodium and dehydration.

Jason_5251
12-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Great, thanks a lot guys! For the next couple of weeks I will be adjusting my diet. Thanks for the tips, who would have thought not enough salt..lol, also good to know about the spinach.