PDA

View Full Version : for all the grip guys here...

thewicked
12-15-2009, 07:08 PM
here's a few recent training clips!!!

i've been working on my double overhand deadlift WITHOUT a hook grip and it's really paying off with my overall hand strength. I've been smoking 495 and decided to make a jump..here's a video of my recent D/O deadlift attempt...

just missed the lockout before left hand started to slip and didn't want to drop the weights...

BOGx45Ia-XU

here's another clip of my 1 hand pinch using 3 nailed up "2x4's" giving me a 6inch wide grip block. VERY hard apparatus and coming closer and closer to 100lbs!

7i7yYBSSOM8

hit a PR of 82.2 with my right and 72 with my left. Putting the final "how to" touches on a video using this piece of equipment and will have it up shortly!

This was right after hitting a push press PR of 275 for 2. Thank god for results..i was dragging my feet all day and turned it into a great workout day. Thanks so much to Atlarge nutrition and everyone here on WBB that's been pushing me to new training heights!

Travis Bell
12-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Edited to show your videos.

You just need to put the stuff that is after the "=" in the URL

chris mason
12-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Good job! Your grip strength is awesome!

BigTallOx
12-15-2009, 07:58 PM
here's another clip of my 1 hand pinch using 3 nailed up "2x4's" giving me a 6inch wide grip block. VERY hard apparatus and coming closer and closer to 100lbs!

Cool, I'll have to give that one a try.

Guido
12-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Cool!

I've been doing plate pinches for some time now and have worked up to being able to hold two 15kg (33lb) plates smooth sides out for about 30 seconds with each hand. I'm slowly working my way up to being able to hold the 20kg plates or some 45 lb'ers. Been doing a lot more farmer's holds and walks with DB's, too.

Do you do any plate pinches?

thewicked
12-16-2009, 11:00 AM
sure do! Love them due to varying grip widths provided by each group of plates and so forth..

this past year i became the 6th man ever to pinch 6/10lb plates together first with my right and then with my left. I've since worked up to 2/25's, 2/35's (my first plate lift) and have broken 2/45's off the ground but have yet to get them fully locked out. I also want to give 3/25's a go again since I have the WIDTH (done with the pinch block) right and the overall hand strength how to do it. A good pinch workout is just to start stacking 10lb plates together and pick them up for reps. 2/100lb plates smooth sides out for using both hands is also a pretty stout pinch lift.

I found the trick to training pinch and hand strength is to always push to atleast MATCH the previous week's numbers but never work your grip until your hands are exhausted. Just pinch or crush or whatever until you're happy but still feel like you've left a little behind. I've added 15lbs to my pinch training this way in 2 months and with the euro-pinch device that's used in grip competitions, I've recently pulled a 20lb personal best with both hands having only trained with my wooden grip blocks recently but always varying my WIDTHS each week building solid overall strength throughout my hands ROM.

NickAus
12-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Awesome, I have not done any in a long while.

Used to do pinch grips to help wrestling, think I did 2 15KG plates and would pass behind the back to the other hand maybe 8 times.

Should start again I did enjoy it and strong hands are good.

robchris
12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Wicked,
Awesome pinch grip bro! Esp. the overhand DL w/ 565... I havn't done alot of pinch work but I used to do a lot of static holds w/ a fat bar. Helped my DL grip tremendously.
Right now I'm working on closing the CoC #3. I can get the #2.5 x1 so I've got a ways to go before the #3.

Buccos1
12-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Wicked-

That is awesome! I'd barely be able to get my hand around that block.

NickAus
12-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Wicked,
Awesome pinch grip bro! Esp. the overhand DL w/ 565... I havn't done alot of pinch work but I used to do a lot of static holds w/ a fat bar. Helped my DL grip tremendously.
Right now I'm working on closing the CoC #3. I can get the #2.5 x1 so I've got a ways to go before the #3.

2.5 is very good Rob!

I have done the #2 it took about 2-3 weeks but would take a lot of work to move up to the 2.5.

Anyone here done the #3??

BigTallOx
12-16-2009, 05:06 PM
this past year i became the 6th man ever to pinch 6/10lb plates together first with my right and then with my left.

Which 10 pound plates? The 10 pound plates at my gym are about as thick as the 25's. Where do you get the 10 pound plates that you use?

endymion88
12-16-2009, 05:41 PM
wicked impressive grip strength!

thewicked
12-16-2009, 11:40 PM
thanks guys!

yeah i whole heartedly recommend grippers too. There are so many aspects of grip from developing crushing power like grippers which is all in your FINGERS, pinch grip which develops the hand itself, thick bar works it all especially the thumb, and wrist work which most of us are familiar with.

you would have to get old dimes ox..like the old iron plates not the rubber coated built in handle crap. i think there's a 6dime pinch video on the atlarge youtube account back when i did it the first time.

Grippers I love and have quite a collection. I can close a super elite a few times with my right hand which is between a COC 3.5 and a COC 4. I play with an elite equivalent to the coc 3.5 with both my right and my left. I don't own any grippers under a 3.5 level anymore. They're worthless now. I like the elites due to their constant and SHARP knurling to keep them situated in your hands but all brands out there are solid grippers.

best thing for grip outside of direct grip work.. HEAVY kettle bells. I do alot of swings and juggling with my 120lb kettle bell with a thick handle. MONSTEROUS on the hands which really helps hand strength. Get a heavy bell like that swinging and you begin to generate alot of force directly into your fingers!

The best i've done to date is a two finger/one handed swing with both hands... index/middle and middle/ring on both...

one finger is just too damn scary.

roots
12-17-2009, 02:13 AM
thanks guys!

yeah i whole heartedly recommend grippers too. There are so many aspects of grip from developing crushing power like grippers which is all in your FINGERS, pinch grip which develops the hand itself, thick bar works it all especially the thumb, and wrist work which most of us are familiar with.

you would have to get old dimes ox..like the old iron plates not the rubber coated built in handle crap. i think there's a 6dime pinch video on the atlarge youtube account back when i did it the first time.

Grippers I love and have quite a collection. I can close a super elite a few times with my right hand which is between a COC 3.5 and a COC 4. I play with an elite equivalent to the coc 3.5 with both my right and my left. I don't own any grippers under a 3.5 level anymore. They're worthless now. I like the elites due to their constant and SHARP knurling to keep them situated in your hands but all brands out there are solid grippers.

best thing for grip outside of direct grip work.. HEAVY kettle bells. I do alot of swings and juggling with my 120lb kettle bell with a thick handle. MONSTEROUS on the hands which really helps hand strength. Get a heavy bell like that swinging and you begin to generate alot of force directly into your fingers!

The best i've done to date is a two finger/one handed swing with both hands... index/middle and middle/ring on both...

one finger is just too damn scary.

thats pretty crazy that you can close a COC #3.5 . Did you get certified on the COC #3? and apparently theres only like 5 people that have ever closed a COC #4....

NickAus
12-17-2009, 05:35 AM
What has helped your grip for deadlifts most?
Thanks!

thewicked
12-17-2009, 11:39 AM
just pulling...

I train double overhand until my grip fails then I switch to mixed. Heavy farmer's holds, walks, and rack pulls have all made my grip as strong as it is. I tend to lock out my deadlifts and try to hold the weight for atleast 30 seconds on the final rep on my heaviest set. The smallest adjustments in training really lead to incredible hand strength.

thewicked
12-17-2009, 11:42 AM
thats pretty crazy that you can close a COC #3.5 . Did you get certified on the COC #3? and apparently theres only like 5 people that have ever closed a COC #4....

nope not yet but i want to. I can just pick up a coc3 and close it effortlessly which is harder than the "credit card" set that ironmind requires. I should just go ahead and do it and get my name on the list. The 3.5 cert would be fun and I think I should start taking that one more seriously.

there's a reason why only a few have cert'd on the 4. Back when it first came out you could use what is called a "parallel set" or use your opposite hand to help seat the gripper and bring the handles to parallel to each other and THEN crush it which is what the grippers were originally designed for. That was back when it was a big deal. I know quite a few people (due to grip contest and being in the grip community) that can close the 4 but now ironmind requires you do to a credit card set with the 4 as well which...imho...will be forever and a day before it ever happens.

BigTallOx
12-17-2009, 01:04 PM
there's a reason why only a few have cert'd on the 4. Back when it first came out you could use what is called a "parallel set" or use your opposite hand to help seat the gripper and bring the handles to parallel to each other and THEN crush it which is what the grippers were originally designed for. That was back when it was a big deal. I know quite a few people (due to grip contest and being in the grip community) that can close the 4 but now ironmind requires you do to a credit card set with the 4 as well which...imho...will be forever and a day before it ever happens.

Interesting. I don't find the set matters at all for me. But I can't close a 3.5 yet. I can ALMOST close the 2.5, but I close it about the same with no set at all or a parallel set, it makes no difference. It must mean my technique is horrible, probably is. Honestly I haven't trained with my grippers very much, I find it a little frustrating because they're so darn small in my hand. I'd much rather do things like plate pinches, or hub lifts, or rolling thunder grip since it seems like those are designed more for big hands. I know that probably sounds horrible, but it's true, I like my trip training to be fun since it's just something I just kind of do "on the side".

Zak Freiwald
12-17-2009, 02:32 PM
I like doing one-arm rows with one end of a loaded barbell, holding on by the bar sleeve. It's smooth and about the same diameter as a one of those rolling thunder deals. Like a rolling thunder, the bar is actively trying to pop out of your hand the whole time.

I also like putting our fat bar at the top of the power rack and doign pull-ups.

Buccos1
12-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Have you ever used or know someone that has used the Baraban (N) grippers? I've been working with the IM 2 for awhile and can close it once, but seem to be stuck here. I've been debating about the Barabans for a month or so.

thewicked
12-17-2009, 03:35 PM
love barabans...and love tetting grippers. Both put IM to shame imo

Buccos1
12-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Cool, I'll be looking into some of Barabans -- 260N/280N

NickAus
12-17-2009, 05:00 PM
What day would you recommend I train my grippers?
After deadlifts and back?

Thank you.

Guido
12-18-2009, 08:36 AM
sure do! Love them due to varying grip widths provided by each group of plates and so forth..

this past year i became the 6th man ever to pinch 6/10lb plates together first with my right and then with my left. I've since worked up to 2/25's, 2/35's (my first plate lift) and have broken 2/45's off the ground but have yet to get them fully locked out. I also want to give 3/25's a go again since I have the WIDTH (done with the pinch block) right and the overall hand strength how to do it. A good pinch workout is just to start stacking 10lb plates together and pick them up for reps. 2/100lb plates smooth sides out for using both hands is also a pretty stout pinch lift.

I found the trick to training pinch and hand strength is to always push to atleast MATCH the previous week's numbers but never work your grip until your hands are exhausted. Just pinch or crush or whatever until you're happy but still feel like you've left a little behind. I've added 15lbs to my pinch training this way in 2 months and with the euro-pinch device that's used in grip competitions, I've recently pulled a 20lb personal best with both hands having only trained with my wooden grip blocks recently but always varying my WIDTHS each week building solid overall strength throughout my hands ROM.Good advice, man. Thanks! I've been training to failure on my timed holds but I guess I need to rethink that. Makes sense since you don't normally train other body parts to failure all the time.

n00bster
12-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Grip strength is one of my weak points. Is the use of a hand grip dynamometer good to measure relative grip strength?

Sean S
12-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Grip strength is one of my weak points. Is the use of a hand grip dynamometer good to measure relative grip strength?

It's one measure, but I won't tell you everything. There is some carryover from one type of grip strength to others, but it's not a perfect correlation. I would use it in conjunction with some other informal measures. I would also see if my strength on various grip exercises was getting better (closing a heavier gripper, holding plate pinches longer or for more weight, easier to hold onto heavy DL's and other pulling exercises, etc...) in addition to the dynamometer. Ultimately, it depends on what specific activities/exercises you are trying to improve.

thewicked
12-18-2009, 01:09 PM
It's one measure, but I won't tell you everything. There is some carryover from one type of grip strength to others, but it's not a perfect correlation. I would use it in conjunction with some other informal measures. I would also see if my strength on various grip exercises was getting better (closing a heavier gripper, holding plate pinches longer or for more weight, easier to hold onto heavy DL's and other pulling exercises, etc...) in addition to the dynamometer. Ultimately, it depends on what specific activities/exercises you are trying to improve.

yep! couldn't have said it better myself..

it's one method of measurement but it can be manipulated just have having the slightest tremor in your hands from squeezing hard on the apparatus.

if you start to see changes in the positive while performing the exercises you wish to see the changes in...then you're on the right path.

thewicked
12-18-2009, 01:14 PM
What day would you recommend I train my grippers?
After deadlifts and back?

Thank you.

I'd train grippers once or even twice a week. I tend to just close my grippers but ALOT of people do them after a workout to prep their nervous system. I do them after bench days just because I'm not doing anything during my bench workout that would prevent me from being able to close the grippers to my best advantage.

I would work with a gripper you can ALMOST shut and just work on shutting a couple of times to let your hands see the spring weight after doing a few lighter warmup reps with an easier gripper. Overtime..the gripper will eventually close.

forearm work as well like wrist curls, claw curls, etc. work the digitorum profundus muscle responsible for closing the hand. (not the only one but one of if not THE major muscle responsible).

based upon all the responses I've gotten..I'll put together a "how to" gripper video for you guys and post it in this thread.

thewicked
12-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Cool, I'll be looking into some of Barabans -- 260N/280N

don't use the narrows..i don't feel like they will give you the best tool for the price. A 260 or 280 will be much more difficult. I could close narrows long before I could close the originals.

check out grippersuperstore.com...best place on the net for ALL grippers run by one of the best hands in the business wade gillingham. (brad's bro)

thewicked
12-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Good advice, man. Thanks! I've been training to failure on my timed holds but I guess I need to rethink that. Makes sense since you don't normally train other body parts to failure all the time.

EXACTLY and that's the number one mistake people make in grip training...training to failure where their hands are pretty much useless in the end.

Train until you either hit a PR or until you feel like you did solid work but could only do a couple more before you gas. Your hands are no different than any other part of your body. Train them like you would anything else.

drmobley
12-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Wicked, for grippers and other exercises, what do you recommend for reps, I have coc grippers, blobs, RT, dimes and deep hub 45's and 35's. I have baby sized hands, can almost close the coc2, did the 5dime pinch and have done the 45 hubs, all bilaterally. Interested in your opinion on reppage.

Buccos1
12-18-2009, 02:44 PM
don't use the narrows..i don't feel like they will give you the best tool for the price. A 260 or 280 will be much more difficult. I could close narrows long before I could close the originals.

check out grippersuperstore.com...best place on the net for ALL grippers run by one of the best hands in the business wade gillingham. (brad's bro)

Do you think the narrow grippers would help someone with smaller hands? Or just avoid them all together? I was figuring that the N-types might help my crushing power of the last 1/2 inch or so.

thewicked
12-18-2009, 02:51 PM
they have their place but I don't feel like you get the same "bang for your buck" nor do you get as an overall effective training aid with a narrow. Once you learn how to set a gripper it doesn't matter if it's narrow or standard. If you feel more confidence in narrow grippers and they produce substantial progress for you by all means have at it!

grippers over time after they've been closed a few times "Seat" themselves and the handle distance tends to reduce abit. Double overhand crushing a gripper with your chest or between your knees with both hands will work it through it's range a few times and give you a better picture of how the gripper will end up in your hands.

thewicked
12-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Wicked, for grippers and other exercises, what do you recommend for reps, I have coc grippers, blobs, RT, dimes and deep hub 45's and 35's. I have baby sized hands, can almost close the coc2, did the 5dime pinch and have done the 45 hubs, all bilaterally. Interested in your opinion on reppage.

I shut the heaviest grippers I can possible until I struggle with the final close (not missing it but close) and then call it a day. In grip contests and standardized grip challenges, reps don't win, over all strength does. Being able to close a HEAVY gripper once or twice can translate to gripper reps down the road on a gripper you can only get a couple times before hitting your hard one. I only do reps when I a) don't own a heavier gripper and work on rep skills until the new one shows up or if my hands are feeling beat up and need some recovery time I'll shut a difficult gripper for some sets. I tend to do rep outs to failure when I do them for just one set.

That RT is a sick tool too.. never close grippers after doing any thick bar exercises...because you won't be able to due to how taxing thick bar is on overall hand strength. I love doing RT chins and pulls. Best I've done on the RT i believe is 256 and that's not on the new one. Now I think due to my overall increase in hand strength I could pull significantly more.

Buccos1
12-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks. I have to learn how to set a gripper properly and start incorporating this into my reps. From the beginning, I would just pick up the gripper and smash it. Now with the 2+ grippers, its a ton tougher (finger tips are barely on/around handle). That gripper store is excellent! They have a lot of different grippers with varying poundages (compared to COC).

NickAus
12-18-2009, 07:27 PM
What grippers from Barbaran should I get?

My best is 2 reps with the #2 coc right hand and close to 1 with the left.
I have the trainer, #1 and #1.5 and need something harder.

Thank you very much.

thewicked
12-19-2009, 10:48 AM
anything RB2something would work well for you. Check out the ratings at gripper superstore.com..

honestly if you're only getting a couple reps with the two. I'd wait until you're doing some decent reps before buying a new gripper or atleast getting to where you're SLAMMING it shut at least once and hearing the handles click together.

overcrushes will definately help you...try crushing it down and holding it for as long as you possibly can once or twice when you're gripper training. That is a solid way of building sustainable gripper strength. I tend to do that when I'm having a hard time getting a hard gripper to shut consistently. You gotta beat it into submission lol

n00bster
12-19-2009, 10:56 AM
EXACTLY and that's the number one mistake people make in grip training...training to failure where their hands are pretty much useless in the end.

Train until you either hit a PR or until you feel like you did solid work but could only do a couple more before you gas. Your hands are no different than any other part of your body. Train them like you would anything else.

I wouldn't expect any Pler/Strongman to train to failure. Its a common argument on bodybuilders discussion boards on whether or not to train to failure.

bulldogs702
12-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Do you ever do one handed dead lifts?

thewicked
12-19-2009, 04:51 PM
yes..

my best 1h dl is 300 now..and my best 1h axle deadlift is 220