PDA

View Full Version : First bench shirt advice...what a confusion !

h.t.hall
12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm 127kg,10 years lifting experience,never worn any kind of gear.
PRs 270/255/275 kilos or about 600/560/620 pounds.
I want to try a bench shirt but i'm too confused with all those shirts for all kinds of techniques and lifting levels.

My bench style is medium grip,very little arch,bar touching just below nipples (into solar plexus),sticking point at 4-5 inches above chest.
I'd prefer a poly shirt with gradual resistance ,no very strong points and points without support ,relatively easy to get on and off (train alone mostly),so probably an open back ?

Since i live in Europe,best choices would be titan mostly (and metal).
Titan in particular has a pretty good reputation but i cannot distinguish between the various models.

Thanks in advance for your help.

NickAus
12-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Titan F6 would be good.

Sidior
12-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Titan F6 would be good.

He does not arch much, so I would suggest the fury instead.

NickAus
12-15-2009, 09:56 PM
He does not arch much, so I would suggest the fury instead.

Thanks I mixed them up, yep Fury.

george okunev
12-15-2009, 10:09 PM
I think since you can handle close to 600lbs raw, i would go for a titan katana s/s (straight sleeves). s/s is better if you have little to no arch. Maybe even look at a super katana. Just letting you know that you have to take your time with the shirts. good luck

douglasoh5
12-15-2009, 10:15 PM
the katana if fitted rite is a nasty shirt....maybe if you got a size up from what is recommended it would be ok....but i would prolly go with a fury...still a great shirt....and if you want metal just get the reg metal bencher....single ply...really nice shirt...I used it for a while back in the day

h.t.hall
12-15-2009, 10:32 PM
So both the fury and katana are suited for my benching style but the katana is more advanced because the fabric is stronger ?
Would it be a logical assumption to say that the katana would be like a 2ply fury then ?
A "super" katana would be different because it has a "scoop neck" or lower,stronger and more confortable neck collar ?
Can i find any of those with open backs ?

Thanks for your help ! Things seem much clearer now since websites always say for every single shirt that this particular one is the best ever or something along those lines !

jtteg_x
12-16-2009, 01:10 AM
each individual lifter will have there own preference on which shirt they like best. if you go with titan, i would call an authorized dealer of them (IE: Ken Anderson from Texas, USA) to get the best shirt that suits your needs.

from my experience, the katana feels like one and a half of a shirt. the fabric is so strong it "feels" like double ply.

george okunev
12-16-2009, 02:40 AM
I have never tried a fury or an f6. I think since you are close to 600lbs raw (one hell of a bench by the way). You should not have too much of any issue with the katana. It is strong and will take a little time to learn. But it will also give you a very good cary over and last you a long time. I currently use a super katana that is in reality one size too big but i still get about 80kg (175lbs) extra from it. You will need to develop your lockout power. Dont forget, you will start using much bigger weights then you are probably use to and the shirt does not help you all the way through the lift. my thoughts anyways. good luck.

barbell01
12-16-2009, 08:05 AM

cut it right up the middle with a scissors.

Necrias
12-16-2009, 08:23 AM
So both the fury and katana are suited for my benching style but the katana is more advanced because the fabric is stronger ?
Would it be a logical assumption to say that the katana would be like a 2ply fury then ?
A "super" katana would be different because it has a "scoop neck" or lower,stronger and more confortable neck collar ?

Thanks for your help ! Things seem much clearer now since websites always say for every single shirt that this particular one is the best ever or something along those lines !

I would def go with Katana S/S, you are plenty strong enough to handle the shirt. If you want it open back, cut up the middle of the back and have a seamstress put some velcro on. I wouldn't go too big on the shirt, or the shirt wont give you any help at lockout.

Also, you WILL have to change your benching style. Make sure you go to max grip, and be able to touch the upper abs comfortably. Other than that you will do fine. Good luck!

h.t.hall
12-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Thank you very much ! You all have been very helpful to me.
I think i'll go with a katana s/s,cut the back with a scissors and give it lots of time and patience.
It seems the name of Ken Anderson keeps popping a lot on threads regarding gear expertice,can i contact him through email ?

Thanks again !

Beverly McD.
12-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Thank you very much ! You all have been very helpful to me.
I think i'll go with a katana s/s,cut the back with a scissors and give it lots of time and patience.
It seems the name of Ken Anderson keeps popping a lot on threads regarding gear expertice,can i contact him through email ?

Thanks again !

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/

george okunev
12-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Good choice bro. start a training log. would be nice to find out what you do in the shirt.

robchris
12-16-2009, 09:21 PM
ht,
Titan Katana & SK are bada** shirts for sure...(Fury is a good starter shirt) Never used the Metal stuff but I if you've never tried Inzer, the Rage-X is a good shirt also. Can't go wrong w/ either Titan or Inzer...

h.t.hall
12-17-2009, 05:48 PM
I'll definitely keep you informed on how it goes.
It looks like a super katana size 54 or 56 would be ok for my body measurements but i'll probably go with contacting Mr Andreson as it would be a pitty and a waste to have my very first bench shirt badly fitted and useless...