PDA

View Full Version : I need diet help....

Luke1081
12-16-2009, 01:00 PM
I am 18 years old 172. Over the summer I lost about 20 pounds from honestly just not eating... Long story...

Anyway now that im able to eat again and am working out as hard as i can as much as i can I need help with a diet and a new workout plan for myn is not really where I want it.

My normal day is
3 eggs
protein shake
lunch
Protein shake
Dinner
Protein shake

The only foods i eat are fish, meat, eggs and salad and alot of fruit. Everything else I stay FAR AWAY from.

Help me! I either need to know what im doing is right or wrong and what i can do to improve what im doing or am going to be doing.

I dont wanna get fat because I wanna continue on my journey to a strong 6 pack and a ripped look... Thanks!!

ELmx479
12-16-2009, 01:15 PM
It all depends how many calories you are consuming. I would start the day with a much bigger breakfast, that makes getting enough calories the rest of the day easy.
Also, while meat, fish, and eggs are good you need some quality carbs like oats, sweet potato, broccoli, etc...

ryuage
12-16-2009, 01:55 PM
what are you trying to do

Luke1081
12-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm trying to just get ripped.

Big arms tight stomach/abs and a puffed chest. Pretty much apperence. I'll go get my strength later...

ryuage
12-16-2009, 06:44 PM
you're not ripped at 6'0 172?

Either you want to increase your muscle mass or decrease your bodyfat... Once you figure out which one we can better help you.

Either way, it's going to come down to eating more or eating less depending on your goals.

Luke1081
12-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Well.... I wanna get bigger no doubt. But I don't wanna be fat... I almost have a 6 pack and I wanna achieve that. I'm sick of my 4.... But I want my chest back pecs and arms to grow...

So I should eat more?? But then my stomach won't be as crisp I guess is the right word?

ryuage
12-16-2009, 07:38 PM
If getting the 6 is more important than increasing the size of your upper body then you should be eating below your maintenance calories. If what you are doing currently is working for you then don't fix what isn't broke. As far as routines go take a look at the Articles section at the top of the page.

Luke1081
12-17-2009, 06:57 AM
alright!!! Ill continue on my hunger strike hahahaha Im checkin out those routines

JayAllen
12-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Ok. Here's a few things to keep in mind....

1) at 6' and 172 lbs, cutting down to a low enough BF% to be 'ripped' (as you put it) is going to drop you to anywhere between 155-165 lbs, give or take. At that height and that weight, you're NOT rippped, you're SKINNY AS F**K! LOL

2) at 18 yrs of age, your hormones (in relation to muscle growth potential) are definitely in your favor. Scrap the bull***** and start lifting hard and heavy and packing on as much muscle as you can on that frame of yours!

3) Start eating! At your height, weight, and activity lvl (nor sure what it is, but I'm assuming it's not sedentarty) you're burning around 2600-3100 calories a day. So starving yourself or eating 1000 calories a day is not going to help you either way. Start eating! Don't worry about getting fat. Take measurements (bodyfat, circumference) and keep track of them. Start eating above your maintence lvl and hitting the gym hard. Re assess every 3-4 weeks and make changes to your diet and workout program accordingly. If you find that you're putting on more bf than muscle you cut back the calories a bit. If you're not gaining anything, add some more and take it from there.

Luke1081
12-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Well heres my thing.....

I wanna hit the shore this summer... I dont wanna have a fat body....

ON THE OTHER HAND

I wouldnt mind just eating my heart out and just workout non stop and get big!

So is there a way to make it that i still have some cuts but get bigger??

I started maturing around 15-16... So your right I guess my muscles could explode. My body exploded after I started hitting it hard with the weights. Low reps and low sets but I put as much weight on as i can so I cant or can barley finish my last set...

Progress
12-18-2009, 10:43 AM
All the protein you're eating won't go to repair muscle unless you eat it with carbs. What is your macro breakdown?

JayAllen
12-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Well heres my thing.....

I wanna hit the shore this summer... I dont wanna have a fat body....

ON THE OTHER HAND

I wouldnt mind just eating my heart out and just workout non stop and get big!

So is there a way to make it that i still have some cuts but get bigger??

I started maturing around 15-16... So your right I guess my muscles could explode. My body exploded after I started hitting it hard with the weights. Low reps and low sets but I put as much weight on as i can so I cant or can barley finish my last set...

There's your problem. You can't eat, as little as you're eating, and support muscle and strength gains. You're not taking in enough to continually make the progress you started out making. You need CARBS. They are your body's PRIMARY energy source as well as your body's most PREFERRED. As was stated by 'Progress", the protein won't be used to support muscle repair and rebuilding as well as strength and muscle gains if your body is using it as it's only energy source.

Now that doesn't mea you need to eat like a pig! I would start by adding carbs at 3 of your meals.

1st meal - Breakfast- your first meal of the day should be made up of protein, carbs, and healthy fats. Preferably a slower digesting carb (ex. oats, whole wheat bread, ezekiel bread, brown rice) You have to remember, you've been fasting all night and need these nutrients to get your metabolism jump started again while supplying you with energy to get you started.

2nd meal - pre-workout- try to take in some form of carbohydrates about an hour before you work out, along with about 20 grams of protein. You NEED energy to work out, so supplying yourself with carbohydrates prior to working out with give you the energy you need to make it through. The pre workout protien will help give your body a bit of a jumpstart with the repair and recovery process as you go along

3rd meal - post workout - THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY! LOL. anytime between 0-30 minutes after you workout you should take in Protein and Carbohydrates to get your muscles repairing and rebuilding as soon as possible! This is the one time of day when Faster digesting carbs really come into play! Things like white bread, waxy maize, white rice, etc. etc. as well as 30-50 grams of Whey Protein

Other than that you can eat as many fruits and veggies throughout the day with your other meals to keep your body filled with slower digesting carbs, vitamins, minerals, and fiber throughout the day.

Personally, I would shoot for around 3000 calories a day for you split into 5-7 smaller meals throughout the day. Then I would monitor you from there. This should be right around your maintenance level at your height, weight, and supposed activity level. For muscle gains I would shoot for gaining about 0.5-1lb a week. If you're gaining more, cut out a few calories, if you're not gaining, add another 250 or so calories a day until you are. This will ensure what we refer to as a 'clean bulk'. Where you put on muscle while limiting your fat gain to very little. You won't gain monstrous amounts of muscle in a short time, but you should see small gains in muscle mass and strength over time while still allowing your body to maintain that lean look. Just remember SMALL PROGRESS IS STILL PROGRESS

james_w8lifter
12-18-2009, 08:33 PM
You have to commit to one way of doing things, either stay where your at and maybe lose another 5lbs to have your so called "ripped" look or eat big, lift heavy, and put on some mass. I would suggest the second choice. I was exactly where you were 2.5 years ago, 6'0/170lbs. Let's just say I'm glad I decided to go up...

Luke1081
12-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Well I decided..... Im gonna bulk... Not totally tho... I am gonna start eating more and really lifting heavy. My lowest weight was around 165 before I snapped outa my state of "depression"

Anywaysss

I wanna get big!!!!!!!!

Thanks James your a motivator! 208 I hope thats all muscle!!!! If so TELL ME YOUR SECRET!!

Luke1081
12-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Whats a macro break down??

james_w8lifter
12-18-2009, 09:10 PM
A macro breakdown is the percentage of your total daily intake that is fat/carbs/protein... Such as 25% fat/40% carbs/ 35% protein.

What do you mean "not totally though"??? You gotta either do it or don't do it. My secret, just keep your diet in check, dont eat junk, dont drink soda, put 100% effort in each time you enter the gym, and most importantly completely dedicate your self to reaching your goals. Look up some of the routines on the forum and pick one. Stick to mostly compound lifts, benches, deadlifts, squats, rows, overhead presses, dips, etc. Just remember, you gotta eat big to get big.

Luke1081
12-19-2009, 08:55 AM
I get all my carbs from fruit. Natural carbs. Is that okay? But I probably eat 99% protein....

Unreal
12-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Excess fructose is not good. I think oats, potatoes, rice are all better choices for carbs.

Luke1081
12-20-2009, 12:23 PM
New update.

Im eating 5 eggs for brekfast and a much bigger lunch dinner. My stomach wants to explode when i get done eating but I shove it down telling myself itll be worth it. Which is true! Im lifting more already!!

james_w8lifter
12-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Good, just track your weight gain and try to keep it at .5-1.5 lbs per week. Eat big, get plenty of sleep, and lift hard, you'll see gains

Luke1081
01-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Okay its been a few weeks.. Im eating more ALOT more... I now weigh 164.4........ and am just getting cut..... HELP!!!

Astreocclu
01-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Excess fructose is not good. I think oats, potatoes, rice are all better choices for carbs.

I see this often, and am a bit of a noob, but why are fruits looked down on so much?

Nicky
01-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Okay its been a few weeks.. Im eating more ALOT more... I now weigh 164.4........ and am just getting cut..... HELP!!!

Plain and simple: You are just not eating enough. Try to track your calories, REALLY track them, and you will see you are not eating as much as you think.

P.S. Bulking is fun! :)

skinny99
01-06-2010, 09:26 PM

How much milk ya drinkin Op? Whole grain bread? Steak? Eggs? Tuna? Cottage Cheese? Cheese?

Not enough obviously.

Unreal
01-07-2010, 09:56 AM
I see this often, and am a bit of a noob, but why are fruits looked down on so much?

Fruits in general aren't looked down up, but excess fruit and fructose is. Fructose is processed by the liver and doesn't get stored in your muscles as glycogen for fuel for workouts. Once your liver is full it just converts it to fat and stores it. So basically it is the easiest sugar for the body to convert to fat and store.

Luke1081
01-07-2010, 01:52 PM
I dont know what to do at this point.. Frustrated... Im gonna try eating more carbs.. Oats and stuff like you guys suggested. I dont wanna eat so much tho that i get a carb face.. That will totally defeat the purpose of my goals!

Nicky
01-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Don't worry, you will be down to 155 before you know it.

Luke1081
01-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Dont say that..............

Astreocclu
01-08-2010, 03:46 PM
i thought the high gylcemic carbs were suppose to be the worse?

Luke1081
01-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Well im eating more rice potatoes and stuff like that and im lifting more and working out harder and seeing more results!! I guess you guys were right all along........