PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of my current bulking diet?

DannyMcG
12-17-2009, 04:47 PM
OK. I'm 15, 5'9", 132 lbs with a BF % of around 10.5% (fair meso-ectomorph) . I'm planning to bulk up a little, (I've been doing it for about a month now). I'm following a fairly solid routine focusing primarily on compound movements, but it's the diet that I'd like an opinion on. Here's what I'd normally eat:

Meal 1:

Oats made with water.
Banana.
Glass of reduced-fat milk.

Meal 2:

Tuna on 4 slices of wholegrain bread.
Apple.

Meal 3 - post workout:

Protein shake made with trim milk.
Either a banana or some baked beans on wholegrain toast (any suggestions on a good fast acting carb source here, not including supplements?)

Meal 4:

Apple.
Another bowl of oats.
Glass of reduced-fat milk.

Meal 5:

Whatever my parents cook, it's normally something like lean meats, sweet potato, plenty of vegetables etc.

The macronutrients are approx.: 300g carbs, 150g protein, 50g fat (varies).

I make sure to drink plenty of water, my first meal is at 7 and the meals are 3 hours apart (approx.). Also, I do 20 minutes of jogging at the end of my workout, will my protein shake and carb meal still be effective at the end of this jog?

So do you think this is too much, too little etc.? Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Danny

ELmx479
12-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Well, at least you have the right idea and are willing to learn at a young age. Good job for that. Being that young and only 132lbs I wouldn't get too critical about your diet as long as you are getting enough calories and protein you will grow. How many calories are you consuming now?

Also, thought I would throw in my diet 6 days a week just to help you out some...

meal 1- 6 eggs (3 whole), 1 cup oatmeal, 1 cup of milk
meal 2- tuna sandwich on wheat, hand full of almonds, 1 apple
meal 3- chicken breast, broccoli, sweet potato, cheese stick, cottage cheese
meal 4- (pre workout) Results (you could have something like grape juice here, or yogurt)
meal 5- (dinner) meat, potatoes, vegetables, glass of milk
meal 6- (before bed) 2 scoops of Nitrean, peanut butter

I consume around 3300-4000 calories a day to maintain 200-205lbs @ 5'11

VikingWarlord
12-17-2009, 08:24 PM
You've been doing it for a month. Are you seeing progress? If yes, keep doing what you're doing until it stops working. If no, eat more until you're seeing progress.

DannyMcG
12-17-2009, 09:02 PM
ELmx479: At the moment I'm consuming around 2400 calories, but I'm considering increasing to 2600 as I'm making satisfactory gains but I feel I could be getting more calories without much fat gain. I think I'll distribute my meals further, I think 6 meals will keep my metabolism running faster than with 5 meals and I think I'll chuck in some eggs with my breakfast.

VikingWarlord: Well I was 127.6 lbs at the start of the month, so that's a 4.4 lbs increase in a month which is 1.1 lbs per week. I'll increase my calories by 200 and see how that goes.

Thanks to both of you.

james_w8lifter
12-17-2009, 09:07 PM
You will eventually have to up your calories because in the long run eating 2400 calories won't allow you to gain weight. But as long as your gaining just keep doing what your doing for now

DannyMcG
12-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah I believe the gain this month was primarily due to my body adjusting to this caloric intake, I'll eventually have to up my calories to near 3000 due to my metabolism and body somatotype (a teenage meso-ectomorph with a ferociously fast metabolism).

cphafner
12-17-2009, 09:30 PM
If you are gaining a lb a week I wouldn't change anything until it slows. Then start adding 200 a week.

DannyMcG
12-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah that's my plan. Thanks everyone for your opinions.

jtrink
12-18-2009, 05:06 AM
i love cheese sticks! 8g of protein in one stick!

Tom Mutaffis
12-19-2009, 11:57 AM
It looks like you are getting about 2250 total calories, which should be sufficient based on your statistics.

The only major area for improvement that I noticed was that you did not specify that you were eating anything before bed. Bedtime meals are crucial for gaining size and improving recovery. I would recommend something like fat free cotagge cheese, a can of tuna fish, or a protein shake (protein blend).

Another easy way to boost overall calories would be to mix your protein shakes with heavy cream, as long as they are combined with a low carbohydrate meal or between meals (since you do not want to combine high fat / high carbohydrate intake in the same sitting).

Hope this helps.