PDA

View Full Version : Arms/Legs Numb while sleeping

machaf
12-17-2009, 06:28 PM
So almost every night if I don't sleep on my back I wake up a lot during the night with either my hands numb or my legs numb. Usually happens when I sleep on my stomach and arm underneath me. My legs are fine if I sleep with them bent a little bit.

I'm thinking its some kind of pinched nerve. Possibly from squating heavy this summer and having the bar sitting wrong on my back. (I've corrected this issue)

Doubting its diabetes (tested every year for it)

Any ideas? I suppose I may go see the DOC sometime soon.

ryuage
12-17-2009, 06:47 PM
could be any number of things... seems to me like you just sleep on them so of course they will lose circulation.

maybe try putting a pillow between your legs and/or get a specific pillow designed for side sleepers

machaf
12-17-2009, 07:10 PM
This just started happening so....never had issues before.

Invain
12-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Do you have poor circulation any other times? High blood pressure?

Also, how big are you, and what's your bf%? Sounds ridiculous but I've noticed as I've gotten bigger sleeping is more uncomfortable. It was barable until I started losing a decent amount of weight however. Dunno if the fat was like a cushion or what, but I notice a pretty big difference now. I have to sleep pretty much perfectly on my back or my arms and shoulders ache like crazy.

Guido
12-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Do you have poor circulation any other times? High blood pressure?

Also, how big are you, and what's your bf%? Sounds ridiculous but I've noticed as I've gotten bigger sleeping is more uncomfortable. It was barable until I started losing a decent amount of weight however. Dunno if the fat was like a cushion or what, but I notice a pretty big difference now. I have to sleep pretty much perfectly on my back or my arms and shoulders ache like crazy.Yep. That happens to me a lot when I sleep on my side or on my front. Never happened until I got up to 200+ lbs. I generally just try to sleep on my back now and it's less of a problem.

Bergs
12-18-2009, 10:05 AM
I can't even fall asleep on my side anymore. My shoulder goes numb within about 5 minutes and starts to get painful rather quickly after that. No idea if it's a weight issue, but I definitely was a side sleeper when I was younger and can't even fall asleep unless on my back anymore.

I also put a pillow under my knees, or else it feels like my knees are under too much pressure. Just part of being big, I guess.

bulldogs702
12-19-2009, 04:39 PM
I am right there with you brother waking up a couple times sometime through the night with pins and needles in my hand. If any one know how to fix it I am all ears.

Pete22
12-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Happens to my hands/arms all the time. I usually just shake my arm until I get feeling back, and then fall back asleep.

fitgirltitone
12-19-2009, 09:10 PM
This mat throw off the theory of numbness due to getting bigger, I am 5'4, 125 lbs and my hands all the time, even when I am in competition shape. So if there are any other possible reasons, please lemme hear em. When my hands go numb, it wakes me up from sleep and my hands hurts so bad.

jp2
12-20-2009, 07:51 AM
My arm sometimes falls asleep when I sleep on my side with one arm extended upwards, with my head lying on my arm, or on the pillow, which is on my arm.

Nicky
12-20-2009, 02:37 PM
My arm sometimes falls asleep when I sleep on my side with one arm extended upwards, with my head lying on my arm, or on the pillow, which is on my arm.

SAME SAME EXACT THING happens to me! 33 years without this problem. I start eating, working out, and now it happens all the time. It is annoying but I hope it isnt harmfull.

sayagain
12-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Add me to the list with this problem. I'm 6'1" 280 lbs. and have always been large, but didn't have this problem until I started lifting weights seriously about 3 years ago. I just assumed it was due to the increased muscle mass on my shoulders that is pinching off the blood flow when I sleep on my side. It is definitely annoying as I am a side/stomach sleeper.

JJ33
12-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Let me guess all of you either bench,curl or shoulder press.The reason i say this is your bicep tendon runs up inbetween 2 little bones in your shoulder.When inflamed it will cause this discomfort when sleeping or trying to fall asleep.Instead of putting your arm in the upward position cross them on your side folded.You will have to get use to this but it won't put stress on your shoulder and tendon while you sleep.

Guido
12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Let me guess all of you either bench,curl or shoulder press.The reason i say this is your bicep tendon runs up inbetween 2 little bones in your shoulder.When inflamed it will cause this discomfort when sleeping or trying to fall asleep.Instead of putting your arm in the upward position cross them on your side folded.You will have to get use to this but it won't put stress on your shoulder and tendon while you sleep.Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try.

Nicky
12-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Let me guess all of you either bench,curl or shoulder press.

Are you psychic? How did you guess? :p

-JM-
12-22-2009, 05:16 AM
Same thing happens to me regularly and it has been since putting on a lot of weight. I always have to sleep on my back or else in the recovery position. No way I can let my arms rest above my head for more than ten minutes now. Glad I am not the only one.

Whats worse is when my two year old jumps into our bed in the mornings for the last hour of sleep and he sprawls out taking up more room than my wife and I. I have to put my arm down the side of my boxers so that it doesnt flop out of the bed.

Numb arms, hands......whats next, apnea?

JJ33
12-22-2009, 08:24 AM
No you just have to remember with the weight increase and heavy lifting your putting alot of stress on your joints and tendons.So when you are sleeping it is always best to support them so they get full recovery.Try folding your arms like in Guido's avatar and sleep on your side.And remember that docs reccomend sleeping on your right side to take stress of your heart.

procads
12-24-2009, 08:14 PM
i have been facing the same problem lately.. i think it could be because of stress.. and just to tell u that i am very skinny.. and still having the same problem..

Hatred
12-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Pretty common for bigger guys. When I get over 265 I wake up and have noodles for arms. I've had to shut my alarm off with my nose before.

Detard
12-25-2009, 06:14 AM
Yep add another to the list. I wake up every night with numb hands and arms multiple times throughout the night.

Detard
12-26-2009, 03:23 PM
An option for front sleepers or side sleepers is a body pillow. Basically a 4-5 foot long pillow. It's good because you can jam it between your knees, and then up into your arms. I find it helps reduce lower back/hip pain, and my arms dont fall asleep as quickly.

teeroy
12-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Yep add another to the list. I wake up every night with numb hands and arms multiple times throughout the night.

Same here.

Hatred
12-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Is this the condition that having your top rib removed is supposed to correct? I can't remember what that's called.

J.C.
12-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Add me to the list as well. Once I got around 200lbs it started happening with increased frequency. It's correlated with when I'm training heavy. Autumn 08 I grew a lot bigger and stronger and I kept waking up with painfully numb arms or hands at night. Over the summer I lost a lot of weight, stopped strength training and did more running. It stopped happening. From October to December I've been training heavy again and its come back!

I've heard suggestions its something to do with the nervous system coping with heavy weights but that sounds terribly vague.

Kiaran
12-29-2009, 01:18 PM
I too was having this same issue almost every night last year. It was bad, sometimes 2-3 times a night. I had to sleep like I was in a coffin or something.

Problem: I was sleeping on a piece of **** bed (it was pretty new too).

Solution: I bought a new bed with more support and it rarely happens now.

EmptyBarbell
12-29-2009, 01:37 PM
I had exact same issues.....started using one of those 'camel hump' neck support foam type pillows...( they're not cheap...$30-$40)...it has a large hump in it... you place that hump right under your neck.... first couple of nights. .. it sucked!!... after that. ... I became adjusted and the finger tingling has gone away!..I was told it was connected to the disk in the spine in the upper neck area which have nerves that run into the arms/hands.. but it sure made my go away!!...

Another trick I used was taking pillows and laying my arms on them so that they were nice and comfortable.... but overall that 'camel hump' sleep pillow helped me greatly!!:clap:

Little John
01-06-2010, 06:44 AM
:help: How am I going to teach myself to sleep on my back? I've been trying and failing for months! It's really difficult to reprogram myself from being a side-sleeper to a back sleeper but I know that it's exactly what my body needs to take the stress off my sore shoulders. I've tried contoured neck pillows (which I now recommend) and a variety of mattresses but continue to fail miserably and painfully. I'm open to any suggestions if you've got one...

jp2
01-06-2010, 07:31 AM
:help: How am I going to teach myself to sleep on my back? I've been trying and failing for months! It's really difficult to reprogram myself from being a side-sleeper to a back sleeper but I know that it's exactly what my body needs to take the stress off my sore shoulders. I've tried contoured neck pillows (which I now recommend) and a variety of mattresses but continue to fail miserably and painfully. I'm open to any suggestions if you've got one...

That's going to be really hard to do. Your naturally going to switch to the most comfortable position while you sleep (side for me). I've tried before without much success (sleep all night on back). I'm guessing straps is the only way lol

Ryumexicano
01-06-2010, 11:12 AM
That's going to be really hard to do. Your naturally going to switch to the most comfortable position while you sleep (side for me). I've tried before without much success (sleep all night on back). I'm guessing straps is the only way lol

You made me laugh sir hahahahaha :clown:

magiclouie
01-15-2010, 06:33 AM
In addition, try to have a little exercise before going to bed, a few minutes will do.