PDA

View Full Version : Switching from conv. to sumo deads?

martin
12-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi everyone.

Who has successfully turned from conventional pulls to sumo and got an increase?

I have been practising these last two weeks and went for a raw sumo max today.

I found I got it off the floor ok but on my heaviest set but couldn't straighten up at the top. Any indictator to why? Weak hips/glutes maybe?

So any tips, and also tips about sumo deadlifting in gear? I will have a go in my squat suit or maybe just breifs and see what happens. It's certainly a far shorter movement for me.

Thanks for any help,

Martin

Sean S
12-18-2009, 09:17 AM
I've gone back and forth between the two styles. If you are competing equipped I would at least give the sumo DL a fair trial with some gear on to see if it will work better for you. Obviously it puts more of the load on the legs and hips, but you can also use gear which helps get the bar moving off the floor.
You just have to practice with at least some gear on to get a good feel for it. The big thing is to push your knees out and get your head and chest up (which will give you a good arch). The big thing is to get down to the bar in tight gear without getting out of position. You may have to get your air at the top and pull yourself down into good position.
It's nearly impossible to tell why you missed without seeing a video of the lift.

n00bster
12-18-2009, 09:26 AM
I pull conventional and train with guys who use a mix of conventional and sumo. I wanted to learn sumo and was told it would take a couple of weeks but I'm concentrating on conv. The way i see sumo deads by the guys who do them is their legs are fairly wide apart.

Here is a guy's article Converting to Sumo Deadlifting (http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/374/), hope it helps.

brdclck
12-18-2009, 09:46 AM
I've been giving sumos a try over the past two months or so. Last night I came to the conclusion that they're not really for me. I was really hoping that they would be, as I find them to be much less strenuous to train (despite the beating my hips took). My upper back rounds like crazy, which benefits me when I pull conventional, but greatly hinders my sumo lockout.
Considering I never got very good at them, I'm hesitant to offer any advice, but what worked for me was: starting with as vertical a trunk as possible, diminishing thoracic flexion, pulling back hard, and constantly cuing myself to look up/keep my chest up.

martin
12-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Cheers guys, some good info there.

The link article is a little pushing KB's though lol rather than sumo deads.

I think my tech isn't a mile away. I was happy to pull 670 raw today - only 50lbs less than my suited conventional max. Gotta keep working at it really.

I have been doing some straight leg sumo deadswith dumbells before my last comp after Travis had suggested them on here for my squat. I think they have helped squatting and so will add hem back in to my training when I'm back to it in the new year.

Beverly McD.
12-18-2009, 10:37 AM
You pulled 670 raw, in a style you're still trying to learn, and you're looking for advice? :D
Nice work Martin.

Sean S
12-18-2009, 10:51 AM
You will easily get 50+ lbs. out of a suit with the sumo DL, so you should be able to beat your conventional DL max with a little practice and a sumo DL suit or SQ suit.

ScottYard
12-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, and then more lol. Work your form set up ect with speed work. This way you wont be trying to hit max poundages while still learning technique.

I would def put some briefs on as sumo raw can and usualy does lead to some nasty groin tears. I have seen guys get 100-150 out of a tight suit and brief combo after they got it done.

martin
12-18-2009, 11:25 AM
You pulled 670 raw, in a style you're still trying to learn, and you're looking for advice? :D
Nice work Martin.

Cheers :) I'm always learning though, no matter how strong I get. Every little helps!

Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, and then more lol. Work your form set up ect with speed work. This way you wont be trying to hit max poundages while still learning technique.

I would def put some briefs on as sumo raw can and usualy does lead to some nasty groin tears. I have seen guys get 100-150 out of a tight suit and brief combo after they got it done.

Thanks Scott. I have done two weeks of speed work with 300 and 400lbs, so will continue to do so in three week waves on my dynamic day.

I haven't been a fan of the sumo pull but I really liked it today. Really felt the hamstrings work and alot less stress on the lower back.

I'll do my speed work in briefs for the next three weeks and see how it goes. I have some single ply Titan briefs and also some Boss briefs that I squat in so I'll have a play in both. I'll stick to maybe 350, 400 and 450 lbs for 5-8 singles with short rests.

Sound ok?

M

barbell01
12-18-2009, 02:33 PM
The way i see sumo deads by the guys who do them is their legs are fairly wide apart.

hence "sumo"

barbell01
12-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Hi everyone.

Who has successfully turned from conventional pulls to sumo and got an increase?

I have been practising these last two weeks and went for a raw sumo max today.

I found I got it off the floor ok but on my heaviest set but couldn't straighten up at the top. Any indictator to why? Weak hips/glutes maybe?

So any tips, and also tips about sumo deadlifting in gear? I will have a go in my squat suit or maybe just breifs and see what happens. It's certainly a far shorter movement for me.

Thanks for any help,

Martin

hip strength is important. wide stance GM's are a good idea in my opin.

Buccos1
12-18-2009, 02:56 PM
I switched to sumo around summer of this year. I had a lower back injury and took it slow for awhile, focusing on technique with nothing over 275. After 2 months, I started to up the weight and got close to my convential max (wearing a Centurion). I videotape most of the lifts and notice that I am really inconsistent with my starting hip position when the bar breaks from the floor. I think I will keep at sumo but still try to work in a convential workout every other month or so. The squat suit helps me alot with sumo staying in the proper position.